"Criteria" for satay service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Criteria" for satay service?

Just wondering if there is a SOP/criteria for a satay service?

Reason for asking is that I flew on SQ37, LAX-SIN, which is a 2115hrs scheduled departure with dinner (not supper) service, and was surprised to find that there was no satay served.

I would have thought that this flight would have met all the qualifying "criteria"... Or has dinner been "enhanced" (especially given the (very) light loads...)?

What were the loads like to/fro?

SOP: Satay not served for flights less than 40% full.

j/k, of course. I also would have expected satay on board this flight.

Comment

I too have wondered about it. Even in northern winter when departure is about 2000, there's never Satay.

Comment

Satay is prepared ex-Sin, & usually it will be included only on lunch and dinner Full-Service meals on flight times longer than 4 hours only.

It usually will not be offered on brunch & supper services too.

And it will not be offered on all flights to/from Australia and New Zealand.

But I cannot answer as to why SQ 37 has no satay though it is dinner service.

Comment

Several years ago, SIA used to offer Satay ex-LAX. So SQ11 starts with Satay service. When SQ37 direct LAX-SIN flight was first introduced, SIA wanted to offer something even more special, so instead of Satay, they have other form of finger food. For eg, they once served Vietnamese spring roll + something else (can't recall). That was also the time when they had Executive Economy on SQ37 and initially even offered Champagne on EE class.

However, in recent years, because of cost reduction, they have completely stopped Satay service ex-LAX.

I've not flown on SQ37 for some time so I'm not sure if they're still offering the pre-dinner finger food. There's no more Executive Economy on SQ37.

Whether Satay is offered is not dependent on whether the flight is ex-Sin or Dinner service. For eg, you get Satay (instead of peanuts as the finger food) ex-JFK, ex-NRT, ex-Seoul and several European cities.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
            Satay is prepared ex-Sin
            I wonder if that holds the clue as to why it is not served on SQ 37.

I know I've had satay on SQ 319 cuz I remember the Panjabi LSS who served it the last time I was on that flight.

The satay service I believe constitutes what would otherwise have been canapes that come with pre-dinner drinks. I wonder if SQ 38's relatively later departure makes them think people would rather go straight into a full dinner course than have satay and a cocktail which might push dinner into the midnight PST mark.

At least the last time I was on SQ 319, we took off on a sunny summery early evening and there was plenty of time for satay and cocktails before a late dinner on European time
            Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
            X