Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Domestic flights (CO/UA/US) - checked baggage

Hi,

I'll be travelling on US Domestic routes (SFO->LAS->LAX->SFO) next year Jan. I understand that CO/UA/US charges checked in bag at USD25 per piece. As I'll be flying 3 sectors, it will cost me USD75 for all sectors.

I found out that SouthWest allowed 2 pieces checked baggage for free. However, I'm not sure how reliable is Southwest in terms of performance.

As I'll be in the US for more than 2 weeks, my hand carry can't hold everything. And I guess my LAG will also exceed the allowed limit. Anyone can help to get around the baggage issue? Thanks!

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Hi,

I'll be travelling on US Domestic routes (SFO->LAS->LAX->SFO) next year Jan. I understand that CO/UA/US charges checked in bag at USD25 per piece. As I'll be flying 3 sectors, it will cost me USD75 for all sectors.

I found out that SouthWest allowed 2 pieces checked baggage for free. However, I'm not sure how reliable is Southwest in terms of performance.

As I'll be in the US for more than 2 weeks, my hand carry can't hold everything. And I guess my LAG will also exceed the allowed limit. Anyone can help to get around the baggage issue? Thanks!
    Do you have Star Alliance silver or gold status? if you do it's free
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Many on this board; like me; have done multiple week trips with just hand luggage.

Try this site for help on how to travel with 1 bag: http://www.onebag.com/

Comment

Hi,

SouthWest is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
          SouthWest is fine.
          Um...not exactly. With the lower pricing comes some level of risk. They are one of the only USA airlines who do not track baggage and are exempt from doing so. Your bags normally make it to their destination. But if they don't you kind of have to wait around to see if they ever show up.

Also, there is no assigned seating so you're kind of herded onto the plane like cattle.

Overall, you should be fine. Just know your risks and get your bags checked early -- which also gives you a good space in line.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Um...not exactly. With the lower pricing comes some level of risk. They are one of the only USA airlines who do not track baggage and are exempt from doing so. Your bags normally make it to their destination. But if they don't you kind of have to wait around to see if they ever show up.

Also, there is no assigned seating so you're kind of herded onto the plane like cattle.

Overall, you should be fine. Just know your risks and get your bags checked early -- which also gives you a good space in line.
            Correct, I just took it last month to Las Vegas. Bags is fine. "No" seating assignment as you mention. Just your ticket is assign by boarding sequence. So those who get assign to board at stage 1 get the best seat or the seat you want. But seem working fine and departure on times for the 2 flights I was with them.

Service is not bad consider this is just a 1 hour and 15 min flight.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your sharing.

I think I'll just go with CO as I've taken them twice. So far so good. I'll just pay the additional USD75 for a peace of mind.

Frankly speaking, I don't think I could pack my stuff (Business + Leisure) just in one bag considering that it is still winter in January. I know California will not be that cold but it's hard to tell these days.

I hope SQ will have a A380 to SFO in Jan 2011 (ya, I know it will not happen) and well, I'm not really bothered about the recent engine problems.

Thanks again!

Comment

Yes, winter stuff is going to take up lots of space.
                Engine problem for A380 really come at the wrong time. But we must also thanks QF incident otherwise R/R seem to keep very quite about it.

Am going back again in DEC for 10 days.
                Last edited by cscs1956; 21 November 2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X