SQ Post Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
    Probably will have some impact, but not that bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/s...gtype=Homepage
    I don’t think companies care that much about adverse effects of zoom. Times are bad, cut costs first. Zoom will continue whether we like it or not, whether we suffer from it or not.

Of course essential business travel will come back but that definition will narrow down.

Leisure travel, however, will come back as family reunions and vacations can’t be replaced by zoom. This will get back on track in time.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      I don’t think companies care that much about adverse effects of zoom. Times are bad, cut costs first. Zoom will continue whether we like it or not, whether we suffer from it or not.

Of course essential business travel will come back but that definition will narrow down.

Leisure travel, however, will come back as family reunions and vacations can’t be replaced by zoom. This will get back on track in time.
      Depends also on the particular industry. Large number of the senior management in my firm are not happy with Zoom conference calls. Similar gripes as with some of the other comments here. Agree with leisure travel, have already heard many anecdotes of people being upset about separation from relatives in another country etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
        Depends also on the particular industry. Large number of the senior management in my firm are not happy with Zoom conference calls. Similar gripes as with some of the other comments here. Agree with leisure travel, have already heard many anecdotes of people being upset about separation from relatives in another country etc.
        Agreed re. Zoom. MS Teams may not have some of the Zoom drawbacks, e.g. Zoom is not supported where I work due to data privacy concerns and the extent to which Zoom stores (meta)data. Many are not too happy with using VCs in general here due to the limits it sets in human interaction. It is fine for a transactional conversation but anything creative or involved requires in-person, imho.

Comment

I am in the creative field. And I totally abhor all these VC things. It is difficult to achieve, it is frustrating. But I think from the paymasters who usually pay the bills. Will they still fly me in when there are these new options? It’s balance between expense vs productivity. We can still achieve the same without travel but with more difficulty and frustration. Are people going to relieve us of the difficulty, I don’t think so, because the end result is still the same. I am not sure if corporate bottomlines has sympathy to our human challenges. If yours do then you are lucky.

There will be more and more scrutiny on what is considered so essential that travel cannot be avoided. It will not be so liberally done like before.

I am not looking to the future at all. It looks like it will be more like quarterly travel rather than monthly travel.

There is a portion of business travel that will not come back like it was before. For leisure travel it will be fully restored.

Comment

COVID-19: Meeting new travel demands among focus of Singapore Airlines' newly created task force

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...force-12735452

Comment

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...e-q4fy1920.pdf

pages 35 onwards showing some broad plans for post Covid-19

Immediate plans is to keep cargo going.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                Wait until their sales revenue drops and they lose out to competitors who interact directly with clients etc.

Singapore overseas expansion will suffer, imagine an overseas client interacting directly with a local vs Video conference with a SG company.

Also while we respect “transparency” in Singapore it’s a total different ball game outside our borders.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
                  Agreed re. Zoom. MS Teams may not have some of the Zoom drawbacks, e.g. Zoom is not supported where I work due to data privacy concerns and the extent to which Zoom stores (meta)data. Many are not too happy with using VCs in general here due to the limits it sets in human interaction. It is fine for a transactional conversation but anything creative or involved requires in-person, imho.
                  I'm a bit of a fan of Teams, definitely more than Zoom in terms of flexibility, available components and security.

Going forward, I think occasional face-to-face will be necessary and very certainly personal introductions or project kick-offs. From there VC would be more common with occasional catch-ups but not to previous extents. Partly this will be due to knowledge these options do work but more importantly it will be down to Full Price ticketing. If not Full Price, then 50-100% higher than pricing we've got used to that facilitated much of our unnecessary business travel.

"Oh, we have a problem..... okay, fly to Jakarta next week" eliminating the thought process for a more efficient fix, most often related to that problem actually not being much of a problem at all. Flight was cheap and easy though.

I've been talking on the phone more often, and longer, than before, with the same number of emails but with those I already know. Our relationships are getting better as we struggle with the same issues worldwide and from Japan, Malaysia, HK to German, Italy, UK, we are closer personally if not physically. This is despite no dinners and no drinks. Sometimes it works with new contacts, but not so common or takes much longer.

Comment

I think it's fair to say we are in unprecedented times, in general never mind the airline industry, which is clearly going to take a fearful pounding.

Its interesting to see the contrasting views, on here and elsewhere, about how quickly travel will or wont recover,. There are those who think Zoom and Teams are the future and others who are already sick to death of them (puts hand up!) and cant wait to get out on the road again. Personally I had started to hate the amount of travelling I was doing over the last few years and promised this year it would be the least for a while. While ironically that is now going to happen whether I wanted it to or not, having done 15 flights in January and not a single one since I can't wait to get back up in the air.

Time will tell how this all pans out.

Comment

LH intends to downgauge FRA-SIN from A380 to B748 when flights between SG & DE resume. Presumably, SQ might also downgauge the A380 on SQ26/25 to 77W?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        LH intends to downgauge FRA-SIN from A380 to B748 when flights between SG & DE resume. Presumably, SQ might also downgauge the A380 on SQ26/25 to 77W?
                        That's partly due to LH consolidating all their (remaining) A380 fleet to MUC.
                        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                          That's partly due to LH consolidating all their (remaining) A380 fleet to MUC.
                          That would also mean SQ & LH are reworking their JV I would think.

Comment

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/05/29/1...-in-the-cabin/

5 78J
                            3 77W
                            3 A359 Regional config
                            3 789
                            1 A320

to be temporary freighters

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              https://mainlymiles.com/2020/05/29/1...-in-the-cabin/

5 78J
                              3 77W
                              3 A359 Regional config
                              3 789
                              1 A320

to be temporary freighters
                              The use of 'reconfigured' in the article headline is misleading as there will not be a change to the interiors. SQ isn't removing any passenger seats, unlike what some other airlines have done to carry more cargo on the main deck. SQ will simply pack the cabin overhead bins and in and under seats with cargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                                The use of 'reconfigured' in the article headline is misleading as there will not be a change to the interiors. SQ isn't removing any passenger seats, unlike what some other airlines have done to carry more cargo on the main deck. SQ will simply pack the cabin overhead bins and in and under seats with cargo.
                                These 14 specific aircraft are configured with seat protection covers and cargo netting / securing devices, hence the 'reconfigured' not 'refitted'.

In other words, they aren't just using any aircraft for these operations but 14 specific ones with this equipment in the cabin.

Granted of course they could move this equipment onto a different aircraft if necessary, however this is not the intention.

Under seat storage is also not permitted on some aircraft types, however on-seat and overhead locker stowage is being used.

Removing seats is coming next I heard - potentially starting with a pair of Scoot A320s.

Comment

Working...
                                X