LHR - is it FINALLY improving ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHR - is it FINALLY improving ?

As a few of you know, I have hated LHR since way before it became fashionable around the world to do so. However, as I have not wasted time giving it grief, it's only fair to give them credit for a more pleasurable experience.

Now, it goes without saying that they had a long ladder to climb back up, but it looks like it may be getting better.

I arrived at T3 very early this morning on MH at around 05.20 am, and despite the fact we were at the far one of the A380 capable gates, I was in the new *A lounge at T1 with BP having a Bacon Butty less than 30 minutes later. I know we got lucky getting in before the raft of widebodies tend to bring T3 to a standstill (9V-SKC was pulling up a couple of gates away as we went past on the bus) but that is still bl**dy good going for T3.

OK, the new security photograph requirement for domestic at T1 is a PITA, but that's the world we live in today and we'll be doing it everywhere in the next 5 years.

Indeed, jjpb3 and I posted similar thoughts only last week:

Originally posted by jhm
    OT I know but I have to say that - as per BA's current ad campaign - LHR T5 really does work! I checked in online and printed out my BP so went straight to security (no need to validate it like on SQ) but the check-in queues weren't long. Security was a wait of a few minutes (I let the BAA goon direct me to the line to join even though it wasn't Fastrack). Laptops remain in and shoes remain on. Flight pushed back on time and arrived early. Full marks to BA today!
    Originally posted by jjpb3
    I agree about T5. It has transformed the LHR experienced for me: so much more civilized.
    Coming back tonight was fairly good (only 10-15 minutes looping around over the skies of London; and we parked at T5A so I didn't lose the advantage in my usual dash to immigration) but the EU immigration queues were a mess (apparently the busiest the immigration officer I spoke to had ever seen). Hand luggage only so straight on the HEX.

(I wish I could say the same about entering/leaving the US which - from my limited experience - is painful. 45 mins wait on Saturday after we landed for a gate at JFK and then 45 mins queueing up at immigration. 40-50 planes queued up ahead of us when departing JFK yesterday.)

Comment

In my recent trip report the airport with the least queues out of SIN, LHR and HKG was LHR. SIN would still win if it did not have this stupid joint gate security system which meant I had a 20 minute wait to get through security. But all told LHR worked well (I flew out of T3 and T4) however it is still a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        OK, the new security photograph requirement for domestic at T1 is a PITA, but that's the world we live in today and we'll be doing it everywhere in the next 5 years.
        Geez I hope not. Isn't that requirement due to BAA and BA wanting to offer domestic pax the same shops and lounges as international pax?

Comment

I am v glad to hear things are improving at LHR, though I still dread my transit in Sept which involves a T3 to T5 transfer... Look forward to checking out the new lounge though.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Given in this modern world that we live in, why is it that British airports still have baggage trolleys that cannot steer straight? The european ones, ie German, Swiss, Danish ones can even go up/down escalators, whereas the British ones are lucky to not squeak when pushed!

Perhaps its time to import or deisgn new ones before the world sets sight on London for 2012's Olympics!

Comment

But surely the world would be a very boring place if everything (and everyone) was straight!

Comment

The last time I went through LHR I noticed that they had new trolleys that worked very well.

Comment

My carryon is either small enough to carry without a trolley, or has wheels. I don't need a trolley.

Comment

You guys are forgetting one thing - the assumption that you have enough trolleys for pax.

Last time I landed in LHR T3, the wrong baggage carousel was announced twice. Then the lack of trolleys.... certainly worst than some third world countries I've been in.

Comment

I'm arriving at T4 tomorrow with 4 bags...there better be a trolley.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                        I'm arriving at T4 tomorrow with 4 bags...there better be a trolley.
                        Any trolley?

Comment

Luckily, things went smoothly for my transfers at the infamous T5. Had 1.5 hr to 1 hr 45 mins of connection time only...so...was quite worried of long lines, esp at the passport check and security lines. The lines were pretty long for the outgoing flight to ATH and waited around 15-20 mins, but, it was empty for the return flight to HKG. Eventually ended up with at least 1 hr to browse around LHR T5 on both occasions.

My only "complaint" was that I had to take the shuttle train from A to B gates (for the return flight to HKG).

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                            Any trolley?
                            Oh, plenty. Arrival was pretty painless, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                              Oh, plenty. Arrival was pretty painless, actually.
                              T5? That's the newish one. Try T2 or T3 and then let me know. Hope you're settling well.

Comment

Working...
                              X