SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Hotels and Hotel Programs

Old 29th August 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
milehighj
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.
Default Finding a hotel in Dubai

Hiya,

What do you recommend for a first visit to DXB? I will have a day off to look around, followed by a day of meetings in the financial district.

I usually try to stay at Starwoods, but looking at TOF, it seems that this is yet another major city where the group properties are not among the best.

Thanks in advance.

J
milehighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 05:17 PM   #2
jhm
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Please note that some of the SPG properties in Dubai do not fully participate in the SPG programme meaning no SPG points and no stay credit for SPG status.
jhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 06:19 PM   #3
milehighj

Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm View Post
Please note that some of the SPG properties in Dubai do not fully participate in the SPG programme meaning no SPG points and no stay credit for SPG status.
Yup got it thanks. TOF still has its uses...
Old 29th August 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
EKrew
SQTalker

Not sure when you'll be here but currently the weather is extremely warm. So during your day off for looking about you'll probably be taking taxis from place to place so location may not neccesarily be a key point. The Sheraton Dubai Creek is located near the gold/spice souks and that can be an interesting insight into 'old' Dubai. But it has none of the glitz of 'new' Dubai.

If you'll be working in DIFC (Dubai International Financial Centre) then Jumeirah Emirates Towers is just across the road.

FYI traffic crossing the creek can get very congested in the afternoon starting from around 4pm till evening. A 15min trip can turn into +1hour so its worth factoring in. And although taxis are cheap they can be hard to find at peak times.
EKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 03:10 AM   #5
HUGE AL

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, A3 Gold, LM, BA Gold, AA 1MM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D7, SPG Life Plat, Hertz Prez

Check out the Desert Palm Dubai. They are opening in September and did have some CRAZY low rates on their villas. Perhaps a call there might merit you something...
Old 30th August 2007, 02:44 PM   #6
milehighj

Thanks EKrew & HUGE AL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE AL View Post
Check out the Desert Palm Dubai. They are opening in September and did have some CRAZY low rates on their villas. Perhaps a call there might merit you something...
I checked Desert Palm but all dates till Dec are blocked out. Also says somewhere on the site that it only opens in Dec.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:15 AM   #7
HUGE AL

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, A3 Gold, LM, BA Gold, AA 1MM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D7, SPG Life Plat, Hertz Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighj View Post
Thanks EKrew & HUGE AL.

I checked Desert Palm but all dates till Dec are blocked out. Also says somewhere on the site that it only opens in Dec.
I would call the hotel directly as their website is extremely confusing.

Check out this FT thread for some additional info on the special I mentioned ($254 for 528m2 3BR villa with pool!!):

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705225
Old 2nd September 2007, 08:06 PM   #8
BOEING777
SQTalk Elite Silver

I stayed at the Oasis Beach Hotel last summer, and will be again during the Dubai Air Show in 2 months time.

Click.

Its a super place although out of the "hub-bub" of the city itself, located right on Jumeirah beach.
BOEING777 is offline   Reply With Quote