Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
    Good job, nice report.

Out of curiosity, how long are CX planning on keeping the A340's?
    Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
    Up until 2017, but they already started reducing their A340 fleet earlier this year.
    Thanks, FN-GM! And also leops1984 for the info...not a lot of time left to fly the A340's...

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
      Great trip report as usual! Having flown in this "coffin" layout both on the B744 and A343,the A343 cabin certainly feels very tight and narrow. Despite the various short comings like feet (quite unsightly) and the bodies all lined up feel,this configuration is truly one of the most private. I can't see any of my opposite neighbors at all.

You are certainly lucky not to land an upgrade on their new regional J seats,which offers limited recline and privacy. Appreciate your efforts for another informative TR! ��
      Thanks, Tonitan!

Yes, I much prefer the Olympus Herringbone J to the new CX regional J product!

Comment

Great TR as usual! I agree about the overall assessment of the Olympus J class. While I haven't found it bad by any means, I did very much feel like I was in a coffin, which makes it lose a significant amount of points from me. But at least this still looks like a real J class rather than the new regional "J".

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
        Up until 2017, but they already started reducing their A340 fleet earlier this year.
        On one hand, I'll miss the CX A340 (which I've flown quite a few times over several years). On the other hand, I hope this means they finally get rid of the horrific fixed shell Y seats by then.

Comment

Great report as usual!

Lucky you got the A343. Only rode on it once on SQ. Tried to get on the A343 on MU, CX, CI, TK in the past and have failed on ALL occasions. Always the A330 at the gate every time I try.

The porridge barbequed bun option does look quite nice.

Comment

though not commenting on your reports, I have to say I love your reports.

Comment

Can't say that I am big fan of CX. First flew them on their L-1011 from Changi to Kai Tak in Marco Polo class. Surly crew. The rest of my flights with them have been in Y.

CX's Y service is pretty basic. Their Y meals are at least 1 notch below SQ (even with SQ's constant cost cutting). Crew in Y are generally less 'enthu' than the SQ girls, but the occasional Singaporean CX girls do shine above the rest of the crew.

Noticed from your TR that CX crew now come in all shapes and sizes....

As usual, enjoyed your TR.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                Great TR as usual! I agree about the overall assessment of the Olympus J class. While I haven't found it bad by any means, I did very much feel like I was in a coffin, which makes it lose a significant amount of points from me. But at least this still looks like a real J class rather than the new regional "J".
                Thanks, SQGamespeed!

Yes, I was not too impressed by the CX new regional J either...

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                On one hand, I'll miss the CX A340 (which I've flown quite a few times over several years). On the other hand, I hope this means they finally get rid of the horrific fixed shell Y seats by then.
                Having tried the CX fixed shell Y seats a few times, I agree that they are quite uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                  Great report as usual!

Lucky you got the A343. Only rode on it once on SQ. Tried to get on the A343 on MU, CX, CI, TK in the past and have failed on ALL occasions. Always the A330 at the gate every time I try.

The porridge barbequed bun option does look quite nice.
                  Hi dfs24!

Hope you get the opportunity to fly the A340 soon! LX or AY look to be your best bets out of SIN.

Although the interior of the A340 and A330 are virtually identifical, there are differences like the level of noise in the cabin. Some folks say the A340 is quieter than the A330 inside, although I have never noticed the difference myself.

What I have noticed (more from observing the aircraft from the outside, rather than sitting inside) is that the rate of climb of the A340-300 is very gentle...

What was that joke about the A340-300, whose take-off run is aided by the curvature of the earth?

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
                    though not commenting on your reports, I have to say I love your reports.
                    Thanks, 726! Glad to hear that!

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                      As usual, enjoyed your TR.
                      Thanks, icn.sg!

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                      First flew them on their L-1011 from Changi to Kai Tak in Marco Polo class.
                      What I would give to fly a Lockheed Tristar again! Only tried them once, on Air Canada to LHR via BOM in 1986.

If you took pics of the L-1011, please post a few!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        Hi dfs24!

What was that joke about the A340-300, whose take-off run is aided by the curvature of the earth?
                        Another joke I heard about the A340's climb:

"Swiss 123 can you confrim you're an A340?"
                        "Affirm Zurich, we are a 340"
                        "Well, could you start the other 2 engines please?"
                        Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        Thanks, icn.sg!

What I would give to fly a Lockheed Tristar again! Only tried them once, on Air Canada to LHR via BOM in 1986.

If you took pics of the L-1011, please post a few!
                        I took a couple flights with the L1011 with CX and DL. IIRC the cabin felt spacious due to a lack of overhead bins over the middle section of seats.

Comment

Nice written report. Thanks for sharing. Being midly claustrophobic, I passionately hate the CX coffin class seats. Its a big reason why I dont fly CX often. I thought they have phased out these seats and replace them with the new J seats which are far more comfortable. Apparently not so.

Comment

Hi yflyer!

Great to read - lovely photos and attention to detail as always!

I haven't sat in these seats before but they look slightly narrower than the herringbone products used by DL and 9W. Looking at the side panel - the seat controls don't look as brightly lit as those on the above carriers which is a nice touch as the glare can be irritating in the dark cabin. First world problem, I know.

The noodles look nice as well!

For the SIN-HKG route how do you find the overall experience compared to SQ's regional offering?

For reference:
                            http://www.airliners.net/photo/Jet-A...ee772894fad80e

Cheers!
                            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

My last CX flights from HKG-ICN-HKG were scheduled to be operated by a B77W and an A333 but were swapped to the A343 on both sectors. No complaints to get a long-haul flat-bed seat on such short flights but they really fall far behind compared to the newer reverse herringbone product. I was really glad though I was able to cross flying the A343 off my list.

Comment

Miss SQ's 345s. Here's another old 340 joke.

"Apparently A340s are so slow they are the only aircraft that get birdstrikes from behind!"

Comment

Working...
                                X