No announcement yet.

A Room with A View: LAX Stopover and AA 738 LAX-SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My flight on AA to SFO was operated by a very new Boeing 737-800 series aircraft with the Boeing Sky Interior (BSI).

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

On this aircraft, we had proper business class, in 2-2 layout…

And conventional 3-3 layout in economy, with dark blue leather seats.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Full AVOD at each seat, with widecreen LCD.

Decent legroom…the IFE box was a very slim affair which hardly took up any space.

A/C Power in Y

USB Charging, and regular 3.5mm headphone mini-plug…

All this for a one hour flight…I was impressed.

IFE programming was not free, though. Apart from some PR videos and kids programs, you had to pay to watch the selection of premium TV content, which I am sure no-one did on such a short sector.

At least audio content was complimentary.

The onboard menu was also browsable on the IFE as an ebook.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Full flight today…

We pushed back and taxi’ed for take-off…

…and taxi’ed past the In-N-Out outlet I had purchased supper from the previous night…

When SQGamespeed said the In-N-Out outlet was right under the landing path at LAX, he wasn't kidding!

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Our short flight today would take us up the Californian coast…

Take-off to the west, flying over Dockweiler State Beach, with Ballona Creek and the pier at Venice Beach visible to the north…

Just a little further north, the famous pier at Santa Monica Beach came into view out the windows on the starboard side…

You can just make out the ferris wheel and rollercoaster at Pacific Park, the amusement park right on Santa Monica Pier.

Weather was great that day, the sky was clear, a nice day to be flying…

There was a full beverage service on this 1 hour flight…

More coastal views…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

We flew by downtown San Jose…

…and San Jose Airport (SJC), which looked fairly deserted that Saturday afternoon. I could hardly make out any aircraft parked at the terminal…

During descent into SFO, we also flew by Moffett Field, which is the site of several historic hangers used for blimps and airships during WW2.

Only the steel frame remains of Hangar One, whereas Hangars Two and Three are among the largest freestanding wooden structures ever built.

Landing at SFO from the south, with the Oakland Bay Bridge, San Francisco city skyline, just visible in the distance.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

We deplaned at the spacious Terminal 2 gates – a very pleasant terminal to arrive and depart from at SFO.

Admiral’s Club…with a more prominent signboard here than in LAX T4.

Many airside eating options, whether you are coming or going.

Old style slanted metal baggage carousel…

It was good to be back in San Francisco…

In SF, I would have dinner at a Spanish restaurant, Gitane, and head for yet another run along the Golden Gate Bridge, before heading back to Singapore on SQ1. All that coming up in the final part of this TR, which can be found here.

Thanks for reading!
                Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

"The Uma Thurman of the skies, the Lufthansa A340-600"
                  Lols!!! I agree, she's a beaut.

I want a Wally of my own!

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                    "The Uma Thurman of the skies, the Lufthansa A340-600"
                    Lols!!! I agree, she's a beaut.
                    I am still on the lookout for an opportunity to fly one...that and the LH 748i...

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                    I want a Wally of my own!
                    It is quite impressive technology! It's probably a few years from domestic home use, but I have no doubt that day will come :-)

Comment

Another great installment.

One of the best things about airport hotels is always the view isn't it? I wouldn't be able to get much work done in the room with such a view.

This reminds me of the Vancouver Airport Fairmont hotel that i stayed some time back. Similar views of the tarmac, albeit much fewer variety of airlines taking off and landing. One thing the Fairmont had that I do not see in your room was a telescope by the window of all rooms that faced the tarmac. It was a brilliant piece of equipment that I was literally attached to the whole morning!

Complimentary use of the in-room telescope

I must confess that the picture of the empty economy aisle on your AA flight amused me. On any other Asian carrier, you'd see at least 2 flight attendants in the cabin, smiling and welcoming you onboard. Other than that, I must say those AA economy seats look really nice!

SFO T2 is a really nice, compact and modern airport. I was at the Virgin America side of the terminal, and really liked how cosy VX check-in area was.

Virgin America's check-in hall

Can't wait for your review of SQ1....
                      Last edited by icn.sg; 11 November 2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        Did you try the Coolhaus ice cream sandwiches? An LA treat!

I still prefer the old AA livery…
                        Most of us Americans do as well. Not to mention, they painted them DURING the bankruptcy…AND THEN, Doug announced he wanted to paint them AGAIN.

Before dinner, I headed to Manhattan Beach for a run.
                        Had I known you were headed down there, I would have suggested MB Post for dinner. One of the best restaurants in the country.

I signed up for Uber...
                        Hope you used someone's referral code.

...in a cardboard box…
                        It's ecofriendly.

...there was a Kogi food “truck” at LAX T4, right next to the gate for my departing AA flight to SFO. Kogi? This was the same wonderful food served at the Alibi Room!

I was running a little late for my flight, so I wasn’t able to pick up another taco to eat onboard my flight. But I would have if I had known about the outlet earlier. Perhaps next time.
                        Oops…forgot to mention that to you...

My flight on AA to SFO was operated by a very new Boeing 737-800 series aircraft with the Boeing Sky Interior (BSI).
                        You got super lucky. In my weekly runs up and down the coast, I've NEVER seen that new interior.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Awesome stuff. This report should be recommended for all who are wondering what to do during a LAX layover.

What a great view. The room was hopefully properly insulated? The beach looks much quieter compared to Santa Monica.

I thought the coolest thing of this report was the robot! I wonder how it stacks up against those walking around my office. HAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                            Another great installment.
                            Thanks, icn.sg!

One of the best things about airport hotels is always the view isn't it? I wouldn't be able to get much work done in the room with such a view.

This reminds me of the Vancouver Airport Fairmont hotel that i stayed some time back. Similar views of the tarmac, albeit much fewer variety of airlines taking off and landing. One thing the Fairmont had that I do not see in your room was a telescope by the window of all rooms that faced the tarmac. It was a brilliant piece of equipment that I was literally attached to the whole morning!

Complimentary use of the in-room telescope
                            What a great idea, having an in-room telescope!

I must confess that the picture of the empty economy aisle on your AA flight amused me. On any other Asian carrier, you'd see at least 2 flight attendants in the cabin, smiling and welcoming you onboard. Other than that, I must say those AA economy seats look really nice!
                            There is a reason for why the cabin was empty in the photo...I boarded the flight quite late, and by that time the plane was quite full, so the shots of the cabin were taken after landing, just before I got off the plane...

But yes, it is a really nice cabin, with great seats.

SFO T2 is a really nice, compact and modern airport.

Can't wait for your review of SQ1....
                            Yes, SFO T2 is very pleasant.

Should get the TR last segment on SQ1 out this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              Did you try the Coolhaus ice cream sandwiches? An LA treat!
                              No, I didn't try them this time round! Didn't realize they were an LA speciality...

Had I known you were headed down there, I would have suggested MB Post for dinner. One of the best restaurants in the country.
                              Thanks for the tip! I was just one street away from this place! But it would have been difficult to eat there right away anyway, as I was still in jogging attire. Will keep MB Post in mind for a future trip!

Hope you used someone's referral code.
                              Nope...*sigh*

You got super lucky. In my weekly runs up and down the coast, I've NEVER seen that new interior.
                              And here I was thinking that this was AA's standard product on this route!

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                                Awesome stuff. This report should be recommended for all who are wondering what to do during a LAX layover.

What a great view. The room was hopefully properly insulated? The beach looks much quieter compared to Santa Monica.

I thought the coolest thing of this report was the robot! I wonder how it stacks up against those walking around my office. HAHA.
                                Thanks, dfs24!

I could easily have spent another day (or two!) in LA...there is so much to do there. A very pleasant layover.

The room was fairly quiet, but I think you could still hear the very faint roar of the engines...I still managed to sleep very well though.

Yes, the robot was quite cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X