SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Airport Guides > Airport Guides - Europe

Old 12th May 2017, 03:19 PM   #1
MRW
SQTalker

Default IST Minimum Connection Time

I'd be grateful for advice on minimum connection times at Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

I'm planning to transit IST en route to Italy. I have a J redemption booking PER-IST and I'll arrive on SQ 392 at 7.45 am. I plan to connect to with a Turkish Airlines flight to Italy on a separate booking. I presume that the SQ check-in staff will be unwilling to check my luggage to a destination on a different booking (even with an Alliance partner) so I'll need to go through Immigration, customs and baggage claim followed by the full security and check-in process.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on how much time I should allow - I'm looking at a TK flight that departs 2hrs 50 mins after the scheduled arrival time but I'm not sure that will be enough.
MRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Tonitan
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: Krisflyer,Privilege Club,Asia Miles,Flying Blue

You will have more than ample time of your SQ392 has no flight delays. IST despite its heavy passenger flow seldom take more than an 45 mins from deplaning to clearing immigration. And usually not more than 20 mins for all bags to arrive on the carousel.
Tonitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 12:04 AM   #3
alian
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: SQ PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRW View Post
I'd be grateful for advice on minimum connection times at Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

I'm planning to transit IST en route to Italy. I have a J redemption booking PER-IST and I'll arrive on SQ 392 at 7.45 am. I plan to connect to with a Turkish Airlines flight to Italy on a separate booking. I presume that the SQ check-in staff will be unwilling to check my luggage to a destination on a different booking (even with an Alliance partner) so I'll need to go through Immigration, customs and baggage claim followed by the full security and check-in process.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on how much time I should allow - I'm looking at a TK flight that departs 2hrs 50 mins after the scheduled arrival time but I'm not sure that will be enough.
I do think you can do a baggage check thru to your final destination. I've done it before on QR to DOH via SIN (SQ) > DXB (QR) > DOH not even the same alliance.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...kin-partners/#

Do enquire with on check in. They might even be able to assist with your boarding pass but I can't confirm. If at least you can get your baggage check thru to your final destination at least you need not go thru immigration and just go to the TK counter to get your boarding pass
alian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Pinkfloyd
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: Going, going..... Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alian View Post
I do think you can do a baggage check thru to your final destination. I've done it before on QR to DOH via SIN (SQ) > DXB (QR) > DOH not even the same alliance.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...kin-partners/#

Do enquire with on check in. They might even be able to assist with your boarding pass but I can't confirm. If at least you can get your baggage check thru to your final destination at least you need not go thru immigration and just go to the TK counter to get your boarding pass
Technically they can, but are not obliged to. Same goes for airlines within the same alliance if booked on separate PNR's.
Old 16th May 2017, 01:28 AM   #5
Unionruler
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: KFEG, AA Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRW View Post
I'm looking at a TK flight that departs 2hrs 50 mins after the scheduled arrival time but I'm not sure that will be enough.
That's more than enough.

Also, SQ shows way more goodwill interlining onto TK than TK does interlining onto SQ, on separate PNRs.
Unionruler is offline   Reply With Quote