Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTC selection help

Hello!

"OH NOES! NOT ANOTHER BTC THREAD" - sorry for that, I am just very excited...

It might be a bit weird already thinking about what to eat 3 months ahead but I am just so much looking forward to this. I was wondering whether you could help me choosing good meals as flying SQ in premium classes might not happen that soon again. I don't want to miss out on anything, so please please please give me your recommendations and feel free to tell me if I made not so good choices - sometimes I tend to overlook things

I have to say that I am open to everything so odering from the menu is great for me as well. I just have to add that I am still a seafood newbie: I can eat certain fish and stuff but abalone and other weird sea food stuff is still not really possible for me. I know I am missing out on so much but I am doing my best to enjoy all the good foods the world can offer me

SQ 25 FRA - SIN C
    I think I have two meals on this flight: lunch after departure from Frankfurt and breakfast before landing in Singapore, right? I was planning to tell the FA to serve me the BTC instead of the breakfast so that I have two full meals ... I hope that's even possible. Anyway, here are my favorites ex-Frankfurt:

1. Pan-fried fillet of beef in three peppercorn sauce with garden vegetables and roasted potatoes
    2. Artichoke-tomato crusted loin of lamb in thyme sauce, French beans with bacon, and gratin potatoes
    3. Salmon gratinated with feta and parmesan cheese in orange ginger sauce with vegetables and Mississippi rice
    4. Honey glazed duckling with vegetables and Chinese egg noodles

SQ 876 SIN - TPE C
    I will be pretty stuffed from the FRA-SIN flight before but I will try to eat everything I can get hehe. Here are my favorites ex-Singapore:

1. Roast lamb chops with mint jus, mesclun salad, and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
    2. 6 oz. U.S. rib-eye steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables, and garlic-mashed potatoes
    3. Pan-seared Chilean bass with bouillabaisse sauce, capsicum confit, and kalamata olive potato

SQ 877 TPE - SIN F
    My first F meal ... yum ... yumm ... yummmmmm ! Ex-Taipei ... a hard one so I thought about not BTC'ing except there is something I absolutely cannot miss

SQ 12 SIN - NRT F

1. Roast rack of lamb with mint jus, mesclun salad, and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
    2. Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice
    3. Pan-fried veal loin and braised veal cheek with parsnip purée, garden vegetables, and sautéed mushrooms

SQ 12 NRT - LAX F

1. Lobster Thermidor with buttered zucchini, carrots, and pilaff rice with mixed peppers
    2. Pan-fried sea bass wrapped with potato, served with red-vinegar sauce and white beans

Thanks a lot!
    Home is where your heart is.

NRT-LAX F - please consider the beef sukiyaki. Succulent and tender! You can find pics of it on here (I think SQ LPP has some). Flying from Japan, you have to order Japanese IMHO - you can get the western stuff (lobster and sea bass) anywhere.

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259

Comment

hmm yeah that sounds good. I was under the impression that beef sukiyaki is some sort of a soup dish. I love soups but I rarely eat them as mains after reading the thread you linked, I am tempted ...
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

It has nothing to do with BTC, but rather the catering station that is preparing the meal.

FYI - ex-SIN is really not that good for anything except Chicken Rice, and the Thai Fish Souffle.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by flo View Post
            Hello!

"OH NOES! NOT ANOTHER BTC THREAD" - sorry for that, I am just very excited...

It might be a bit weird already thinking about what to eat 3 months ahead but I am just so much looking forward to this. I was wondering whether you could help me choosing good meals as flying SQ in premium classes might not happen that soon again. I don't want to miss out on anything, so please please please give me your recommendations and feel free to tell me if I made not so good choices - sometimes I tend to overlook things

I have to say that I am open to everything so odering from the menu is great for me as well. I just have to add that I am still a seafood newbie: I can eat certain fish and stuff but abalone and other weird sea food stuff is still not really possible for me. I know I am missing out on so much but I am doing my best to enjoy all the good foods the world can offer me
            My dearest flo,
            You are not alone. I have been pondering as well what to have on board once I am ungrounded next year. Even when I was traveling heavily, I thought about the food on my future flights!

SQ 25 FRA - SIN C
            I think I have two meals on this flight: lunch after departure from Frankfurt and breakfast before landing in Singapore, right? I was planning to tell the FA to serve me the BTC instead of the breakfast so that I have two full meals ... I hope that's even possible. Anyway, here are my favorites ex-Frankfurt:

1. Pan-fried fillet of beef in three peppercorn sauce with garden vegetables and roasted potatoes
            2. Artichoke-tomato crusted loin of lamb in thyme sauce, French beans with bacon, and gratin potatoes
            3. Salmon gratinated with feta and parmesan cheese in orange ginger sauce with vegetables and Mississippi rice
            4. Honey glazed duckling with vegetables and Chinese egg noodles
            My favorite from FRA is always the lamb. Somehow the crust of artichoke and tomato creates a different taste of the lamb. And yes, I love French beans.
            Second choice would be the beef. It's just because it's European meat.

SQ 876 SIN - TPE C
            I will be pretty stuffed from the FRA-SIN flight before but I will try to eat everything I can get hehe. Here are my favorites ex-Singapore:

1. Roast lamb chops with mint jus, mesclun salad, and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
            2. 6 oz. U.S. rib-eye steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables, and garlic-mashed potatoes
            3. Pan-seared Chilean bass with bouillabaisse sauce, capsicum confit, and kalamata olive potato
            I like the lamb, once again. Beef as the second option. But if I want to be a pita on board, i.e. decide to have the choice from the menu, I will get the beef for the BTC, and will tell the FA to have the beef. It seems the crew loves the beef.

SQ 877 TPE - SIN F
            My first F meal ... yum ... yumm ... yummmmmm ! Ex-Taipei ... a hard one so I thought about not BTC'ing except there is something I absolutely cannot miss
            taipeiflyer should be the best person to give an advice for ex-TPE whether to BTC or not to BTC.

SQ 12 SIN - NRT F

1. Roast rack of lamb with mint jus, mesclun salad, and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
            2. Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice
            3. Pan-fried veal loin and braised veal cheek with parsnip purée, garden vegetables, and sautéed mushrooms
            Again, I always order the lamb or the beef personally. As I mention many times, not fond of lobster thermidor ex-SIN due to the flood of mushrooms on the sauce.

In the past year, I have not ordered chicken rice as BTC since it seems the BTC chicken rice is too dry. Also, SQ12 departs after 9am. I will enjoy heavy breakfast at the lounge such as dim sum or noodle soups. I will get my fix of chicken rice while I am in transit in Singapore.
            And yes, the meals served onboard SQ12 SIN-NRT would be about lunch time. Thus, I want something a bit heavier which lamb or beef will serve me well.

SQ 12 NRT - LAX F

1. Lobster Thermidor with buttered zucchini, carrots, and pilaff rice with mixed peppers
            2. Pan-fried sea bass wrapped with potato, served with red-vinegar sauce and white beans

Thanks a lot!
            Jhm is right on the dot. (No.. it is not dot dot dot ) I love beef sukiyaki ex-NRT. It's not really a soup. It is something like sauce. Anyhow, you may try to have lobster thermidor ex-NRT. So far, it is always the best I had. But if on the menu there is kuro buta (pork) I will keep my BTC for the meals prior to land at LAX.

Lastly, it would be great help if others have posted the menu for your flights. It will be helpful in deciding whether to BTC or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
              Lastly, it would be great help if others have posted the menu for your flights. It will be helpful in deciding whether to BTC or not.
              My mom asked the FA whether she could take the F menu and was told she could not. The reason given was that they'd need the menu for the NRT-LAX segment. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                NRT-LAX F - please consider the beef sukiyaki. Succulent and tender! You can find pics of it on here (I think SQ LPP has some). Flying from Japan, you have to order Japanese IMHO - you can get the western stuff (lobster and sea bass) anywhere.
                Completely agree. And if you're partying with the cabin and crew as I was, they will all talk you out of having anything but the Japanese menu as it is stellar.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                My mom asked the FA whether she could take the F menu and was told she could not. The reason given was that they'd need the menu for the NRT-LAX segment. Sorry!
                Have you not read our board? If you ask, their response must be, "No."
                HUGE AL

Comment

SQ 876 SIN - TPE C

[...]

Here are my favorites ex-Singapore:

[...]

I had the BTC F ribeye steak ex-SIN a few days ago and it's not something I would order again. The main menu choice wagyu steak NRT-LAX in F I had a few years ago was excellent but this ribeye steak ex-SIN was a bit dry and too well done for my liking.

Comment

Nice to know others ponder deeply their meal choices. After much thought and research (mostly here) , I am having the Japanese meal(s) all the way from LAX-SIN in F on SQ11 (it is all or nothing, I was told by the SQ rep who called me to confirm my meal change).

On my SQ 12 return, I am contemplating BTC--likely lobster thermidor for round 1, then the chicken kara-age for the second meal. Has anyone tried the fried chicken? I am slightly suspicious , not least because a nearby Japanese resto makes fabulous kara-age chicken that I drool over. I also sort of doubt they have a deep fryer on board .

Thx (and I'm at 3 weeks and counting 'til blastoff) .

--mcz
                    Last edited by mczlaw; 4 January 2009, 05:21 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Comment

Originally posted by mczlaw View Post
                      Nice to know others ponder deeply their meal choices. After much thought and research (mostly here) , I am having the Japanese meal(s) all the way from LAX-SIN in F on SQ11 (it is all or nothing, I was told by the SQ rep who called me to confirm my meal change).

On my SQ 12 return, I am contemplating BTC--likely lobster thermidor for round 1, then the chicken kara-age for the second meal. Has anyone tried the fried chicken? I am slightly suspicious , not least because a nearby Japanese resto makes fabulous kara-age chicken that I drool over. I also sort of doubt they have a deep fryer on board .

--mcz
                      Perhaps you should reverse your order there. Japanese meals are highly recommended ex-NRT. ex-LAX, you might be better off with something else (although the J-Meal won't suck and is pretty good, it's MUCH better out of it's home country).
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by mczlaw View Post

--mcz
                        I am confused with your statement about "it is all or nothing."
                        From my experience (well unless everything has changed in the 10 months) For SQ11 LAX-NRT-SIN you will be able to have the BTCs:
                        • Lunch
                        • Light meal (prior to land at NRT)
                        • Dinner (for NRT-SIN segment)

Thus, you don't need to have the same thing, i.e. Japanese meals, for those three meals service (if my interpretation of what you wrote being all the way to SIN).
                        From the regular menu (look at the sample of previous menu in the SQ F menu thread) the Japanese menu is always available, in addition to the international menu. Thus, I personally will not do a BTC for kyo-kaiseki on SQ11. Another reason is also the fact that I don't think LAX catering would be a great one to make a kyo-kaiseki.
                        Ex-NRT, for dinner, as I previously mentioned, the lobster thermidor tastes better IMHO, and if there is kuro buta or wagyu beef on the menu, it would be a better choice.

Again, for your return on SQ12, I don't agree with doing a BTC for chicken karaage. But that's just me who is a bit fussy and picky in eating.

Comment

Has anyone tried the "Veal saltimbocca in lemon sauce with asparagus, capsicum, and roasted potatoes" ex-TPE in F; or the "Braised soya-flavoured duck with yam rice" ex-SIN in C ()?
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Has anyone tried the "Veal saltimbocca in lemon sauce with asparagus, capsicum, and roasted potatoes" ex-TPE in F; or the "Braised soya-flavoured duck with yam rice" ex-SIN in C ()?
                            I have not flown ex-TPE for a very long time. Thus, unable to answer your first BTC opinion.
                            For the second one, in my opinion, you need to have an acquired taste for yam rice. I myself think it's kind of strange to have tiny cube yams mixed with rice. I love yam, but usually only certain yams which are boiled, steamed fried.
                            You may try and you can let us know what you think!
                            But here is the picture from one of my flight where I was the biggest pita of all. I had BTC for the steak. I told the crew that I opted not to have the steak but picked from regular menu. And I would give my BTC to the crew to enjoy. But the crew decided to offer the steak to the only other fellow pax in F, which was gladly accepted.
                            Duck yam rice was in one of the choices on the menu. I mentioned to the LS that I don't like the yam rice due to the taste of the yam mixed in the rice. But I will just have the duck which came with yam rice, and had steamed rice instead.
                            Guess what? The LS removed all the yam pieces from the yam rice so that I could have the taste of the rice that had been cooked with yam.
                            Here you go!

Yes it was a good tasty rice! Yummy especially with those moist boiled nuts on the side,

Comment

tiny cube yams mixed with rice
                              [...]
                              The LS removed all the yam pieces from the yam rice
                              I can imagine the LS/IFS/etc with toothpicks all playing "hunt the yam"!

Seriously though, it was certainly a very nice thing for them to do. SQ loves SQ LPP.

Comment

Working...
                              X