Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian options?

Hi All,

I am flying on SQ for the 1st time later this month. I am VERY excited!

I will be in First Class on SQ 25 from JFK-FRA-SIN. I will be in Raffles/Business Class on my return flight SQ 22 from SIN-EWR.

I was disappointed to see no vegetarian options on the First and Raffles Class "Book the Cook" menus. I can easily get the vegetarian meal, but usually find this to be microwaved frozen meals that are terrible on other flights.

Will the flight attendants be able to make some of the options without the meat/fish/chicken?

Any advice?

Thanks so much! This is a fabulous website!

Best wishes to all.

Welcome to SQTalk, nyc26.

There is usually a vegetarian selection on the menu. For a sample F menu on SQ25, for example, look in this post. It will be no problem to request that the cabin crew leave out the meat from the dishes that aren't vegetarian, though I think you should use that as a last resort.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Do you like Indian food?

I recently flew SQ21 EWR-SIN in Y, and SQ26 SIN-FRA and SQ317 LHR-SIN in Raffles, and preordered the Indian vegetarian meals (ask for the non-strict Indian vegetarian, coded AVMLI, if you don't mind eggs and dairy)... it was pretty good on the EWR-SIN flight, and outstanding on the two Raffles flights.The FAs were also very accomodating in offering other options off the regular menu if they were veg, but honestly, these were some of the best meals I've had in the air, and definitely better than eating "around the meat."

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, karthikv. Great first post.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

As a vegetarian, I second the Indian vegetarian meal. I always order that when travelling (got fed up with the often bland normal veggie meals), and it is generally much better. Plus you can always take something of the main menu if you fancy it (I rarely feel the need to).

Comment

Originally posted by nyc26 View Post
            Hi All,

I will be in First Class on SQ 25 from JFK-FRA-SIN. I will be in Raffles/Business Class on my return flight SQ 22 from SIN-EWR.

I was disappointed to see no vegetarian options on the First and Raffles Class "Book the Cook" menus. I can easily get the vegetarian meal, but usually find this to be microwaved frozen meals that are terrible on other flights.

Will the flight attendants be able to make some of the options without the meat/fish/chicken?

Any advice?

Thanks so much! This is a fabulous website!

Best wishes to all.
            Ex-SIN, you can always BTC in F/J for "Roasted vegetables with avocado mesclun salad on roasted potatoes, in a truffle oil vinaigrette." This is a great dish and better than most of the VLML or VGML meals. It's tasty and substantial, though a little heavy.

The usual VLML main dishes get tiresome and repetitious quickly, so I order AVML-I or AVML-O (Asian vegetarian - Indian or Oriental, respectively) for variety. If you like spicy, the -I is more interesting than the -O option.

(I just re-read your OP and realized you'll be flying SQ for the first time, in which case their regular VLML meals may not disappoint. Sometimes it's pumpkin ravioli, which is actually quite tasty. It's just the slowness in special meal updates/rotation for frequent SQ flyers that forces us to strategize for variety.)

In F or J, you'll be catered to even if you forget to order a veggie meal, espcially on long haul flights. If they don't have something veggie on the regular menu, or they don't have an extra veggie meal that someone doesn't happen to claim, they can always improvise and put together a substantial meal of hot & cold dishes. You don't even need to worry about your food having touched any meat or meat sauces, as each component (e.g. meat, veggies, starch) on the main plate is separately packaged (i.e. segregated) before the FA arranges them together on the main plate.
            Last edited by sfvoyage; 12 July 2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X