SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > SQ Catering and Amenities > Singapore Airlines Catering

Old 4th December 2008, 06:39 PM   #1
LightSpeed
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: SQ G, NW G
Default Vegetarian BTC options in F

Greetings,

I've got an upcoming SIN-FRA in F at the end of December. While I'm certainly looking forward to the SkySuite, my concern is about the BTC options available, being vegetarian (seafood doesn't work either).

Two questions hence:
1. Has anyone tried the only vegetarian option I could find in the BTC menu ("Roasted vegetables") and is it worth the trouble? Details welcome.

2. What would the experts here recommend I ask for if I was to expect getting something other than a Y meal presented on F cutlery?

Thoughts appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by LightSpeed; 4th December 2008 at 07:28 PM..
LightSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 07:45 PM   #2
sfvoyage
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: SQ PPS, UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSpeed View Post
1. Has anyone tried the only vegetarian option I could find in the BTC menu ("Roasted vegetables") and is it worth the trouble? Details welcome.
I've had this dish several times, and it's one of my favorite. It's delicious and, though it's vegetarian, it is very filling and definitely not light. It's comprised of various roasted veggies on salad leaves, with a mashed avocado topping and a cheesy fried dough basket (I think). One time the flight attendant only presented me with the roasted veggies and forgot the other 2 elements. I had to point it out to him to have the dish completed.
sfvoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
SQ LPP
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

To be safe, of course better to have the BTC vegetarian options. But just in case, occasionally, in the main menu there is an choice of meatless option, but not always there in the menu. Sometimes the soup is interesting as well, like cream of asparagus. And many times I found the crew was accommodating in mix and match of the vegetables options from the main course.
SQ LPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
LightSpeed
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: SQ G, NW G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
I've had this dish several times, and it's one of my favorite. It's delicious and, though it's vegetarian, it is very filling and definitely not light. It's comprised of various roasted veggies on salad leaves, with a mashed avocado topping and a cheesy fried dough basket (I think). One time the flight attendant only presented me with the roasted veggies and forgot the other 2 elements. I had to point it out to him to have the dish completed.
That description certainly sounds good. I'll indeed order this on the way up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ LPP View Post
And many times I found the crew was accommodating in mix and match of the vegetables options from the main course.
...and order a lacto-ovo vegetarian special meal with the mix-and-match options courtesy of the crew on the way back to SIN.

Thanks.
LightSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Guy Betsy
SQTalk PPS Club

Default How about it in C ?

I've got a friend flying to BKK from SIN in C and she's vegetarian. Though I think the Asian Veg option would suit her, I am tempted to opt for this particular dish as OP suggested.

I rarely see people do a TR on 'special' diets!

I would ask people to avoid ordering anything gluten free ex-SIN though! You'd always get soft rice cakes! Yeech.
Guy Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 10:31 AM   #6
flyingfox
SQTalk Elite Silver

I am also curious to know how they would handle a vegetarian request for the full meal (not just BTC) in F.
Would they accommodate for the starter and soup courses as well (meaning, would they give you an actual veg starter and soup (something nice, rather than a few sliced veggies and a blandish soup)?

I've never seen anything posted about the REST of the multi-course meal beyond the main.
flyingfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 05:52 AM   #7
Kiwi
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: SQ mystery reprieve

Most likely pax gets asked if the soup is suitable, and if not then no soup for you. Similarly for other courses. Could ask for extra fruit say in lieu.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 09:52 AM   #8
concept|infinit
SQTalk PPS Club

Not strictly a vegetarian here but not much of a meat lover, I'm considering BTC-ing Roasted Vegetables for my first flight in SQ's F next month
concept|infinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 03:47 AM   #9
sfvoyage
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: SQ PPS, UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfox View Post
I am also curious to know how they would handle a vegetarian request for the full meal (not just BTC) in F.
Would they accommodate for the starter and soup courses as well (meaning, would they give you an actual veg starter and soup (something nice, rather than a few sliced veggies and a blandish soup)?

I've never seen anything posted about the REST of the multi-course meal beyond the main.
If you order BTC, it only applies to the main dish. All the other courses will be from the regular menu.

If you want to order a BTC for the main dish AND a special meal (e.g. VLML) for the other courses, you have to ask the agent to input the special meal code plus the BTC code. Some agents will tell you that it's not possible. You just have to tell them that it is possible to enter both requests. If they don't know how to do it, their supervisor should.
sfvoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
impresta
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: Krisflyer, Aeroplan, Airmiles

LightSpeed maybe you can try the Indian Menu if there is one in F. They are generally vegetarian and full of flavour.
impresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 05:37 AM   #11
SQ All The Way
SQTalk PPS Club

I'm a strict vegetarian and have flown several times on SQ F and always requested asian vegetarian - indian option and have never gone wrong once! The meals have been superb each and everytime whether on a short SIN-BKK (when F was available) or between SFO-HKG-SIN or LAX-NRT-SIN or LHR-SIN or JFK-FRA-SIN routes. I have never tried BTC vegetarian.

The indian vegetarian option, is a full multi course meal same as any other western mean. You would get vegetarian version of satays if the flight was serving this course, soup/salad (most recently served green pea soup), appetizer, main course, desert (which most times I have opted for regular desert), fruit and cheese/crackers.

Below are some the indian vegetarian meal pics I have taken on during some of my SQ F trips.

cheers.

Last edited by SQ All The Way; 14th July 2009 at 01:26 PM..
SQ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 09:54 AM   #12
9V-JKL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ All The Way View Post
You would get vegetarian version of satays if the flight was serving this course,
When you can, please post pictures of these vegetarian satays. I'm most intrigued
9V-JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 01:25 PM   #13
SQ All The Way
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V-JKL View Post
When you can, please post pictures of these vegetarian satays. I'm most intrigued
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of them.
SQ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 11:25 AM   #14
flyingfox
SQTalk Elite Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ All The Way View Post
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of them.
Thanks for all of the great pics.

It looks as though SQ does do the whole meal properly if you order Indian veg!

I noticed that the charger was silver and metallic with your meals, rather than the usual Givenchy one - quite interesting! I've never seen a variation like that on SQ.
flyingfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 10:17 AM   #15
slacker
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: KrisFlyer, Miles & More, Enrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
If you want to order a BTC for the main dish AND a special meal (e.g. VLML) for the other courses, you have to ask the agent to input the special meal code plus the BTC code. Some agents will tell you that it's not possible. You just have to tell them that it is possible to enter both requests. If they don't know how to do it, their supervisor should.
I tried to order for both VLML and roasted vegetable so that I am able to have some vegetarian starters and soup and I got the following reply:

Quote:

Thank you for your email dated 02 September 12 to Singapore Airlines
concerning meal request.

With regard to request, our booking record shows that the Roasted
Vegetables for lunch served on board the flight booked SQ830 date
19September from Singapore to Pudong, Shanghai. We regret unable to request
VLML on the same routing as we only have one meal service onboard this
flight.

Informatively, you may request the above should your routing have more than
one meal service.

Please do not hesitate to contact our Call Centre should you require
additional information.