SQ flights to nowhere by Oct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    If there was some way to include a sightseeing element, that would be even better.
    That would be great! Not sure if it's feasible to do a sightseeing flight around/over Singapore, but just as Qantas organises sightseeing flights to Antarctica this could give Singaporeans a chance to see a part of the country not seen by many

"...as we enter the South China Sea, those on the left will be able to see a lighthouse on a narrow spit of land. That's Pedra Branca, the easternmost point of Singapore."

Comment

Originally posted by nocturne View Post
      Why are many assuming there will be no hot catering?

There are no issues with hot food being served on the flight.
      If you have been following SIA, it was stated that there will be no hot meals served for flights less than 3-5 hours. And in fact the current SQ flights to HKG and TPE too follow this guideline. One of the resons offered was to minimise
      cabin crew interaction with passengers. Even long haul flights like SIN-LHR will have service reductions.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        If you have been following SIA, it was stated that there will be no hot meals served for flights less than 3-5 hours. And in fact the current SQ flights to HKG and TPE too follow this guideline. One of the resons offered was to minimise
        cabin crew interaction with passengers. Even long haul flights like SIN-LHR will have service reductions.
        I think the difference is, those country to country flights are for transportation purposes. Not much frill should be required.

But for such flights, it’s for leisure. I really doubt ppl will pay much to just dry catering.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          That would be great! Not sure if it's feasible to do a sightseeing flight around/over Singapore, but just as Qantas organises sightseeing flights to Antarctica this could give Singaporeans a chance to see a part of the country not seen by many

"...as we enter the South China Sea, those on the left will be able to see a lighthouse on a narrow spit of land. That's Pedra Branca, the easternmost point of Singapore."

Perhaps to make it more realistic, Silkair can offer 3D/2N or 2D/1N package with return flight SIN-XSP-SIN, accommodation at Kranji Farm Resort and nature tours in North-West Singapore. And for XSP-SIN-XSP return flight, accommodation at a Changi Beach Resort and history tour to Changi Prison, Museum etc.

Comment

If its SIA launch the flight to nowhere then believed its just a simple plane ride to nowhere. Unless SIA source this out to a travel company organise the event, then will likely see a packaged product from staycation to the flight to nowhere.

Comment

Interesting to see quite a lot of opposition on social media these past couple of days, and some equally interesting counter-suggestions of things SIA could offer instead. I'd still fancy a 3 hour flight in J, but it would need hot food, and drinks, and need to get through Mrs B's budget committee...

Comment

I think there would be demand provided the price is right. A flight around Singapore showing the island from a bird's eye perspective would be interesting. Or for the budget conscious, they could provide a land tour of their aircraft from the apron and into the cabin similiar to an airshow. They could have a tie up with CAG and provide an airside tour of Changi airport that most people never get to see.

With most families cooped up the most part of 2020 with no immediate end in sight, this could be a refreshing itinerary for most. This could also provide the flight crew and cabin crew to renew their recency of license. All this requires the regulatory authorities(CAAS, SPF) to take a step away from their conservative approach thus far to approve this and that is where the bottleneck would occur I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                  I think there would be demand provided the price is right. A flight around Singapore showing the island from a bird's eye perspective would be interesting. Or for the budget conscious, they could provide a land tour of their aircraft from the apron and into the cabin similiar to an airshow. They could have a tie up with CAG and provide an airside tour of Changi airport that most people never get to see.

With most families cooped up the most part of 2020 with no immediate end in sight, this could be a refreshing itinerary for most. This could also provide the flight crew and cabin crew to renew their recency of license. All this requires the regulatory authorities(CAAS, SPF) to take a step away from their conservative approach thus far to approve this and that is where the bottleneck would occur I'm afraid.
                  That's brilliant idea, a behind-the-scenes look at SQ and/or Changi during this unfortunate downtime! Most of the public have no idea how much it takes to ensure things run smoothly on the front-end. These tours would be educational and hopefully provide greater appreciation and understanding when they travel and things go right (or not).

Comment

Speaking of Qantas, they too have organised a flight to nowhere scheduled to depart (and return to) Sydney on 10th October. Apparently it has been reported that the flights were sold out in 10 mins upon going on sale. The flight lasts 7 hours long, and flies over large part of Australia and it’s inland areas - possible granted that Australia is a big country. And ticket prices for economy apparently sells for AUD787 - I guess worth it for a 7 hour long flight.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promoti...m_medium=email

Oh and I must say I like the way QF “advertises” the use of their 787-9 for the flights as having the biggest windows on any passenger aircraft - just perfect for sightseeing flights..

Comment

That's brilliant idea, a behind-the-scenes look at SQ and/or Changi during this unfortunate downtime! Most of the public have no idea how much it takes to ensure things run smoothly on the front-end. These tours would be educational and hopefully provide greater appreciation and understanding when they travel and things go right (or not).
                      They can also iclude tour with cabin crew training, catering or at engineering. So you can do multiple trips depending on each person's interest

Comment

The 'flights to nowhere' idea has been shelved, but instead:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...estaurant-home
                        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Idea dropped

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...estaurant-home
                          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Some pretty good ideas, the missus is dusting off a kebaya even as we speak...

Comment

Am pretty sure, the 2 dinner events onboard the sitting A380 will be a sold out within minutes of the sale. But I would not go for the biz and suite class dinner as its a bit pricey and could have a good dinner at a fine restaurant. And would just have the food when am able to fly sometime next year when normal is back.
                              Last edited by flyguy; 8 October 2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X