SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2020, 11:31 PM   #16
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not You View Post
9V-SCI will be returning to Singapore via Los Angeles with an early morning arrival (0420H) into Changi this coming Saturday, 31OCT20. This marks the first time an SQ 787 lands into LAX.
Wow, amazed that it has the range for LAX-SIN even if it's pretty empty.
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 01:39 PM   #17
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,944
Default

The 787 should be able to do this with reduced weight. As remember when United launched its non-stop LAX-SIN and vv, they were using the 787 but limited the passengers to about 210 out of 256 passengers and no belly cargo from LAX to SIN.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 03:43 PM   #18
Not You
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 16-Jun-2016
Posts: 368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
Wow, amazed that it has the range for LAX-SIN even if it's pretty empty.
9V-SCI had the range to fly non-stop from Singapore to Victorville. A stop was required in LAX for Boeing Pilots to handover the plane to SQ pilots waiting there.
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 03:56 PM   #19
reddevil0728
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 28-Dec-2010
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not You View Post
9V-SCI had the range to fly non-stop from Singapore to Victorville. A stop was required in LAX for Boeing Pilots to handover the plane to SQ pilots waiting there.
wouldn't it make more sense for SQ pilots to just pick it up at Victorville?
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 04:52 PM   #20
yuuka_miya
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 22-Nov-2018
Programs: KF nothing
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil0728 View Post
wouldn't it make more sense for SQ pilots to just pick it up at Victorville?
I can't help but think that the union or our MOH might have had something to say about that.

Picking up the plane at LAX would allow the pilots to be bussed straight from SQ38 (maybe on the tarmac), and they theoretically won't be exposed to whatever is going on in America right now.
__________________
an infrastructure geek
yuuka_miya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 05:24 PM   #21
MainlyMiles
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 16-Jan-2018
Location: Singapore
Programs: KrisFlyer, Avios, Mileage Plan, Asia Miles, Etihad Guest, Skywards
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuuka_miya View Post
I can't help but think that the union or our MOH might have had something to say about that.

Picking up the plane at LAX would allow the pilots to be bussed straight from SQ38 (maybe on the tarmac), and they theoretically won't be exposed to whatever is going on in America right now.
Interesting question though, did the SQ pilots who flew the plane non-stop from SIN to VCV then have to quarantine for 14 days on return to SIN? If not, I don’t see any difference doing it in reverse.
MainlyMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 05:33 PM   #22
Not You
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 16-Jun-2016
Posts: 368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainlyMiles View Post
Interesting question though, did the SQ pilots who flew the plane non-stop from SIN to VCV then have to quarantine for 14 days on return to SIN? If not, I don’t see any difference doing it in reverse.
If I am not wrong Boeing Pilots flew SCI from SIN to VCV.
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 12:42 AM   #23
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
The 787 should be able to do this with reduced weight. As remember when United launched its non-stop LAX-SIN and vv, they were using the 787 but limited the passengers to about 210 out of 256 passengers and no belly cargo from LAX to SIN.
Yes but United flew the 787-9 on LAX-SIN, the variant of the 787 family that has the longest range and can fly routes such as Perth-London, not the 787-10. The 787-10 that SQ flies was designed as a high-capacity medium-haul aircraft that trades range for payload. United's 787-10 are flown on medium-haul transatlantic flights while their 787-9s are usually assigned to their longest flights like LAX-SIN and SFO-SIN.
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 11:42 AM   #24
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,944
Default

Yes correct as SQ is the 787-10. However it is flown completely empty with no pax and cargo to LAX and as such was able to fly the distance.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 07:20 PM   #25
wlgspotter
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 28-May-2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: SQ, NZ, QF, VA, UA, AA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
Yes but United flew the 787-9 on LAX-SIN, the variant of the 787 family that has the longest range and can fly routes such as Perth-London, not the 787-10. The 787-10 that SQ flies was designed as a high-capacity medium-haul aircraft that trades range for payload. United's 787-10 are flown on medium-haul transatlantic flights while their 787-9s are usually assigned to their longest flights like LAX-SIN and SFO-SIN.
Actually, whilst the 787-10 is supposedly designated as “Medium Haul” aircraft, from memory United did use their 787-10 on SFO-AKL vv before Covid-19 caused the flights to be cancelled. The SFO-AKL sector is in excess of 10,000kms, with flights times of 12+ flights, so I would hardly put that down as “medium-haul”...
wlgspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 08:54 PM   #26
9V-JKL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2
 
9V-JKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-Nov-2006
Posts: 4,601
Default

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG8fLthBED3/

9V-SCI @ LAX
9V-JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 12:18 PM   #27
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,944
Default

from Boeing website - "The longest and newest 787 Dreamliner, the 787-10, will fly 330 passengers up to 6,430 nautical miles (11,910 km) -- or more than 90 percent of twin-aisle routes -- with unprecedented efficiency: 25 percent better fuel and emissions than the airplanes it will replace and 10 percent better than the best on offer by the .."
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:39 AM   #28
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgspotter View Post
Actually, whilst the 787-10 is supposedly designated as “Medium Haul” aircraft, from memory United did use their 787-10 on SFO-AKL vv before Covid-19 caused the flights to be cancelled. The SFO-AKL sector is in excess of 10,000kms, with flights times of 12+ flights, so I would hardly put that down as “medium-haul”...
Good to know. Seems like a very capable and efficient aircraft.
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 05:30 PM   #29
wlgspotter
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 28-May-2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: SQ, NZ, QF, VA, UA, AA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
Good to know. Seems like a very capable and efficient aircraft.
I must say though that I’m not sure what is the seating configuration of UA’s 787-10, nor what was the load factor like on those flights and whether they were payload restricted or not. But apparently Air NZ has ordered them and there were discussions that NZ was also going to use them on AKL - USA West Coast ie LAX/SFO etc...So yeah it does appear the 787-10 is a very capable aircraft indeed...
wlgspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:36 AM   #30
maxc_20
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 28-Sep-2017
Location: CGK/TPE
Programs: SQ/GA/CX
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgspotter View Post
I must say though that I’m not sure what is the seating configuration of UA’s 787-10, nor what was the load factor like on those flights and whether they were payload restricted or not. But apparently Air NZ has ordered them and there were discussions that NZ was also going to use them on AKL - USA West Coast ie LAX/SFO etc...So yeah it does appear the 787-10 is a very capable aircraft indeed...
Yes, the 787-10 is a very capable aircraft for medium to long range, Boeing listed the rage to be 12,594 km, which is more than enough to operate 12-13 hour flights, which already come to fruition when United operate their US-NZ and US-Asia flights with them. However, in SQ's case, they decide to add more seats by sacrificing the galley area (SQ config is 36J301Y, while UA is 44J21W54Y+199Y). I heard SQ config can't handle 2 hot meal services, only 1 hot meal, and 1 hot snack(assuming high/full load of pax).
maxc_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net