'New' benefit for Solitaires : Birthday upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'New' benefit for Solitaires : Birthday upgrades

OK, this is not really 'New' having become effective almost a year ago in November last year, but as no 'official' announcement of this policy has been made, and as it was suggested it isn't really for publicity it wasn't publicised on here either. However, now that we have had two examples from TPP's getting it, and having recently also had my birthday and not deliberately booking to benefit , I think it's ok to post the basic 'rules' for this new benefit for L/TPPs:

Basic Rules:

- L/TPP's who are travelling on an SQ/MI flight on their birthday (+/- day) will be eligible for a flight upgrade at the airport, subject to availability in the cabin

- L/TPPs are eligible for a birthday upgrade on all sectors of their itinerary (including return) as long as the journey falls with the birthday date (+/- day). Pax will also be eligible for a birthday upgrade if making a connection (less than 24 hours) to another flight outside his/her birthday.

- The upgrade will only be given to the L/TPPs and not any travelling companions

- L/TPP supplementary card holders are not eligible for birthday upgrades.

- The upgrade will be one class only, including Suites
    There are other rules and criteria but these are the main ones.

Personal opinion. A nice new benefit to offer, for which we should always be grateful these days, but one which I will probably never be able to use as I spend enough time away from home/family as it is so I try and make sure I am at home for my birthday. Still I am sure it will get 'used'.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 9 May 2018, 04:56 AM.

As I posted previously, it was certainly a lovely and very unexpected surprise. Agree with you that's it's not one I will ever chase. Birthdays at home are worth much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
      As I posted previously, it was certainly a lovely and very unexpected surprise. Agree with you that's it's not one I will ever chase. Birthdays at home are worth much more.
      Agree, Wan1dap and MAN Flyer. It was my first birthday away from family ... as I can't remember ever doing it, perhaps that's why in the past decades of flying SQ, I've only been op'ed-up once besides this. I guess that's why SQ will not expect a "rush" for L/TPPs to redeem this generous gift.

Looking back, I think they had already assigned me to F when I checked-in, because I overheard the check-in person consulted her senior on how to issue two boarding passes. But after the consultation, I got one BP for the 2 sectors, which is normal. At that point in time, I thought she was just inexperienced. So, while they have noted me for the upgrade, they will not give me the upgrade BP until I was at the gate; same thing at DME. Presumably, they have to ensure that a revenue F pax would have priority in case she/he turns up very late like some diva at a party.

Comment

what if the birthday boy/girl is booked in the highest class available ???
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          Upgrade to the Captain's lap? Haha!!

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
            Upgrade to the Captain's lap? Haha!!
            Crew Cabin?
            FlyStayTravel.com - Asian Based Travel and Frequent Flyer Blog

Comment

QPPS Experience?

Off topic but wondering if anyone had such an experience as QPPS?

I've been QPPS for 3 years and strangely always flew +/- 10 days after my birthday. First year, I received a cake and card, no upgrade from Business (First had empty seat/s). Second year, I received nothing (I was in Economy and Business had empty seat/s). Third year, I received a cake, card and upgrade to Suites from Business.

Inconsistent to say the least but it was a nice gesture when it happened.

All three flights were at least 3+ hours so not sure why the anomaly except perhaps it depends on the crew and how many L/TPPS had birthdays to celebrate on the same flight too
              Last edited by jonleong; 18 September 2014, 03:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
                Third year, I received a cake, card and upgrade to Suites from Economy.
                Question: how many empty seats were there in Suites when you were upgraded?

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                  Then they should have been aware of it and booked the lower cabin.

Third year, I received a cake, card and upgrade to Suites from Economy.
                  That sounds rather unlikely but if it did happen it can't have been part of this programme.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    Question: how many empty seats were there in Suites when you were upgraded?
                    Oops, typo. Was from Business to Suites. Think there were 2 empty seats in Suites. The HKG flights have always been kind to me as I'd been moved up to Business from Economy twice now due to overbooking. Just last month the guy behind me in Business got bumped up to Suites for the same reason.

Comment

That sounds rather unlikely but if it did happen it can't have been part of this programme.[/QUOTE]

It did happen but not from Economy to Suites, it was Business to Suites. Definitely not part of this programme as I'm not even L/TPPS.

Comment

The purpose of my sharing was to ask if SQ does anything for normal PPS members or is it based on luck like my experiences?

Come to think of it, perhaps my upgrade to Suites in HKG was because of overbooking rather than my birthday given that most of my flights to/from HKG have always been pretty much full ...

Comment

The purpose of my sharing was to ask if SQ does anything for normal PPS members or is it based on luck like my experiences?

Come to think of it, perhaps my upgrade to Suites in HKG was because of overbooking rather than my birthday given that most of my flights to/from HKG have always been pretty much full ...
                          To be honest, my guess would be the same that your upgrade had likely more to do with operational reasons and possibly it also helped that you are frequently travelling in and out of HKG station.

Comment

Another nice benefit for TPPS/LPPS even though it is nothing new for other airlines' top tier FFP levels (CX Diamond etc).
                            Glad this is now happening.

I also wonder what should happen for pax already in F/R.
                            They should not miss out IMHO, having paid for a higher class of service.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                              Another nice benefit for TPPS/LPPS even though it is nothing new for other airlines' top tier FFP levels (CX Diamond etc).
                              Glad this is now happening.

I also wonder what should happen for pax already in F/R.
                              They should not miss out IMHO, having paid for a higher class of service.
                              Those people who can actually afford to pay F don't need "cheapo" free thrills like me.

Comment

Working...
                              X