SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2020, 03:29 AM   #16
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yflyer View Post
If there was some way to include a sightseeing element, that would be even better.
That would be great! Not sure if it's feasible to do a sightseeing flight around/over Singapore, but just as Qantas organises sightseeing flights to Antarctica this could give Singaporeans a chance to see a part of the country not seen by many

"...as we enter the South China Sea, those on the left will be able to see a lighthouse on a narrow spit of land. That's Pedra Branca, the easternmost point of Singapore."
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 10:40 AM   #17
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
Why are many assuming there will be no hot catering?

There are no issues with hot food being served on the flight.
If you have been following SIA, it was stated that there will be no hot meals served for flights less than 3-5 hours. And in fact the current SQ flights to HKG and TPE too follow this guideline. One of the resons offered was to minimise
cabin crew interaction with passengers. Even long haul flights like SIN-LHR will have service reductions.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 11:33 AM   #18
reddevil0728
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 28-Dec-2010
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
If you have been following SIA, it was stated that there will be no hot meals served for flights less than 3-5 hours. And in fact the current SQ flights to HKG and TPE too follow this guideline. One of the resons offered was to minimise
cabin crew interaction with passengers. Even long haul flights like SIN-LHR will have service reductions.
I think the difference is, those country to country flights are for transportation purposes. Not much frill should be required.

But for such flights, it’s for leisure. I really doubt ppl will pay much to just dry catering.
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 11:53 AM   #19
Ronk2k
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 24-Apr-2007
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
That would be great! Not sure if it's feasible to do a sightseeing flight around/over Singapore, but just as Qantas organises sightseeing flights to Antarctica this could give Singaporeans a chance to see a part of the country not seen by many

"...as we enter the South China Sea, those on the left will be able to see a lighthouse on a narrow spit of land. That's Pedra Branca, the easternmost point of Singapore."

Perhaps to make it more realistic, Silkair can offer 3D/2N or 2D/1N package with return flight SIN-XSP-SIN, accommodation at Kranji Farm Resort and nature tours in North-West Singapore. And for XSP-SIN-XSP return flight, accommodation at a Changi Beach Resort and history tour to Changi Prison, Museum etc.
Ronk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 01:34 PM   #20
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,944
Default

If its SIA launch the flight to nowhere then believed its just a simple plane ride to nowhere. Unless SIA source this out to a travel company organise the event, then will likely see a packaged product from staycation to the flight to nowhere.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2020, 07:16 PM   #21
Bytor
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Bytor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-Aug-2017
Location: Singapore
Programs: Solitaire
Posts: 82
Default

Interesting to see quite a lot of opposition on social media these past couple of days, and some equally interesting counter-suggestions of things SIA could offer instead. I'd still fancy a 3 hour flight in J, but it would need hot food, and drinks, and need to get through Mrs B's budget committee...
Bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 06:33 PM   #22
boing
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 27-Oct-2008
Posts: 695
Default

I think there would be demand provided the price is right. A flight around Singapore showing the island from a bird's eye perspective would be interesting. Or for the budget conscious, they could provide a land tour of their aircraft from the apron and into the cabin similiar to an airshow. They could have a tie up with CAG and provide an airside tour of Changi airport that most people never get to see.

With most families cooped up the most part of 2020 with no immediate end in sight, this could be a refreshing itinerary for most. This could also provide the flight crew and cabin crew to renew their recency of license. All this requires the regulatory authorities(CAAS, SPF) to take a step away from their conservative approach thus far to approve this and that is where the bottleneck would occur I'm afraid.
boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 12:01 AM   #23
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing View Post
I think there would be demand provided the price is right. A flight around Singapore showing the island from a bird's eye perspective would be interesting. Or for the budget conscious, they could provide a land tour of their aircraft from the apron and into the cabin similiar to an airshow. They could have a tie up with CAG and provide an airside tour of Changi airport that most people never get to see.

With most families cooped up the most part of 2020 with no immediate end in sight, this could be a refreshing itinerary for most. This could also provide the flight crew and cabin crew to renew their recency of license. All this requires the regulatory authorities(CAAS, SPF) to take a step away from their conservative approach thus far to approve this and that is where the bottleneck would occur I'm afraid.
That's brilliant idea, a behind-the-scenes look at SQ and/or Changi during this unfortunate downtime! Most of the public have no idea how much it takes to ensure things run smoothly on the front-end. These tours would be educational and hopefully provide greater appreciation and understanding when they travel and things go right (or not).
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 07:04 AM   #24
wlgspotter
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 28-May-2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: SQ, NZ, QF, VA, UA, AA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
That would be great! Not sure if it's feasible to do a sightseeing flight around/over Singapore, but just as Qantas organises sightseeing flights to Antarctica this could give Singaporeans a chance to see a part of the country not seen by many

"...as we enter the South China Sea, those on the left will be able to see a lighthouse on a narrow spit of land. That's Pedra Branca, the easternmost point of Singapore."
Speaking of Qantas, they too have organised a flight to nowhere scheduled to depart (and return to) Sydney on 10th October. Apparently it has been reported that the flights were sold out in 10 mins upon going on sale. The flight lasts 7 hours long, and flies over large part of Australia and it’s inland areas - possible granted that Australia is a big country. And ticket prices for economy apparently sells for AUD787 - I guess worth it for a 7 hour long flight.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promoti...m_medium=email

Oh and I must say I like the way QF “advertises” the use of their 787-9 for the flights as having the biggest windows on any passenger aircraft - just perfect for sightseeing flights..
wlgspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 11:24 AM   #25
nocturne
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 14-Feb-2019
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
That's brilliant idea, a behind-the-scenes look at SQ and/or Changi during this unfortunate downtime! Most of the public have no idea how much it takes to ensure things run smoothly on the front-end. These tours would be educational and hopefully provide greater appreciation and understanding when they travel and things go right (or not).
They can also iclude tour with cabin crew training, catering or at engineering. So you can do multiple trips depending on each person's interest
nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 03:10 PM   #26
9V-SPL
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
9V-SPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,107
Default

The 'flights to nowhere' idea has been shelved, but instead:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...estaurant-home
__________________
Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...
9V-SPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 03:10 PM   #27
ycp81
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
ycp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-Apr-2007
Location: Singapore
Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 2,813
Default

Idea dropped

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...estaurant-home
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 07:40 PM   #28
Bytor
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Bytor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-Aug-2017
Location: Singapore
Programs: Solitaire
Posts: 82
Default

Some pretty good ideas, the missus is dusting off a kebaya even as we speak...
Bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 07:21 PM   #29
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,944
Default

Am pretty sure, the 2 dinner events onboard the sitting A380 will be a sold out within minutes of the sale. But I would not go for the biz and suite class dinner as its a bit pricey and could have a good dinner at a fine restaurant. And would just have the food when am able to fly sometime next year when normal is back.

Last edited by flyguy; 8th October 2020 at 06:53 PM..
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net