SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Hotels and Hotel Programs

Old 1st December 2020, 12:43 AM   #1
ycp81
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich
Default Singapore Staycation Series 2020

With all the travel restrictions in place this year, there is no way that I would be flying anytime soon. To curb my travel urge, I decided to spend some of my travel dollars supporting our local hotels. Hence, this series shall briefly review the various local hotels I stayed in 2020.

Warehouse Hotel
River View Room

The first hotel I stayed in after the Circuit Breaker period was Warehouse Hotel in early August. According to the hotel website,

The Warehouse Hotel was built in 1895 along the Singapore River as part of the Straits of Malacca trade route. At that time, the area was a hotbed of secret societies, underground activity, and liquor distilleries. Today, while much of that history has disappeared, The Warehouse Hotel has been meticulously restored as a modern 37-room boutique hotel, focusing on heritage and local culture.

Open as of January 2017, it delivers thoughtful hospitality with historically-detailed rooms, classic local dishes and craft cocktails and curated partnerships in the vibrant neighbourhood of Robertson Quay. The Warehouse Hotel is the inaugural hotel of renowned Singaporean hospitality firm The Lo & Behold Group and is part of the prestigious Design Hotels™ portfolio.

The Warehouse Hotel is a beautifully restored warehouse along the iconic Singapore River.

Entering the hotel, I was greeted with a quaintly designed lobby and lounging area.

The hotel’s flagship restaurant, Po, is at the lobby too.

Our Lobby Bar’s craft cocktail programme reflects the three key eras of the property’s past. Representing its incarnation as an 1895 warehouse, known in Asia as a godown, are rustic infusions that transport you to the heart of the old spice trade such as the Singapore Sazerac – raisin bourbon, pandan bitters, rye, cognac, absinthe.

I stayed in the 34sqm River View Room, which 'look directly out over the Singapore River, evoking its past as a hub of shipping activity and the spice trade. They have ample space and light, are located on the ground floor of the hotel, and are fitted with a king-sized bed and ensuite bathroom.'

Entering the room

The room size and design was pretty good, looking modern and comfortable

Some hotel info materials.

Decent sized toilet with wonderful rainshower. There is no bathtub though. Amenities are by the New Zealand brand (and NZ-made) 'Ashley & Co'. This brand is definitely not cheap in Singapore!

Last edited by ycp81; 3rd December 2020 at 12:08 AM..
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 01:00 AM   #2
ycp81

Minibar area with complimentary coffee/teas.

The view out the window is the Singapore River.

As this stay included F&B dining credits, we used it for some light in-room dining. In-room dining was by the hotel's restaurant.

We ordered some of Po's famous dishes, including Iberico Pork Satay, Kurobuta Char Siew and Carabinero Prawn Konbu Mee. All were wonderful!

At night, the lit up exteriors gave it a very nice atmosphere.

Included in the rate was 2 cocktails of your choice:

SINGAPORE SAZERAC
raisin bourbon, pandan bitters, rye, cognac, absinthe,
spiced demerara

FORBIDDEN FRUIT
gin, kumquat, pink peppercorn, rum, lemon, orgeat, pink salt

Old 2nd December 2020, 11:39 PM   #3
yflyer
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP3

Programs: Krisflyer/Star Gold, Qantas Gold/Oneworld Sapphire

Great pics, ycp81! Thanks for sharing!
yflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:03 AM   #4
ycp81

Lobby and bar from above.

Breakfast was served ala-carte buffet style at Po Restaurant. The selection and quality of the breakfast was very good, and above the standards of the big hotel chains.

Bakery items and salad to start, along with a morning latte.

A huge breakfast spread, including the English Breakfast, Chicken curry, Congee and Pork Bone broth. Excellent in both presentation and taste. Service by the hotel and restaurant staff were top-notch too!

Hanged out at the pool around noon. As per the norm in the Covid era, pool reservations has to be made in advance, and only a maximum of 2 persons (or a room) is allowed to use the pool. Allowed numbers might be raised now. Needless to say, we had the entire pool to ourselves!

It was definitely a very enjoyable staycation at Warehouse Hotel, which provided a very different experience from the major hotel chains. Surely recommended and worth a stay.

Old 5th December 2020, 12:15 AM   #5
ycp81

Default #2 One Farrer Hotel

One Farrer Hotel
Skyline Studio

The second hotel I stayed in August, over the National Day holidays, is the One Farrer Hotel.

One Farrer Hotel is the leading 5-star urban hotel-resort in Singapore defined by an intuitive and trend setting approach towards lifestyle and hospitality. It is situated in one of Singapore’s heritage districts, Little India, with Farrer Park MRT station right at its doorstep. An award-winning permanent collection of over 700 pieces of original contemporary abstract art from across Greater Asia, the largest of its kind in Singapore, takes pride in the hotel. Spanning over 20 Levels, residents can also explore 15 water and tropical gardens, including a fully operational Farm.

Encompassing three ‘hotels within a hotel', the Urban Hotel, Loft Apartments and Skyline Hotel & Sky Villas, the 249 chic contemporary rooms, studios, apartments, suites and villas were designed to meet and exceed the expectations of the discerning traveler. In addition to many thoughtful amenities, complimentary Wi-Fi is also offered throughout.

The room I would be staying in is the Skyline Studio, which is one of the premier rooms situated at the highest floors and with lounge access. The Skyline Studio is is very spacious and modern.

Bathroom and dressing area was very luxurious.

Illy coffee and TWG teas (feels like SQ?) were available in the room

The room offered a sweeping view of the city skyline.

Skyline guests were provided with access to the Skyline Lounge, offering 5 meals/refreshments a day. The lounge is simply designed and functional, with great service provided by the 'SQ-trained' lounge staff. For those missing the SQ service, go pay a visit to the Skyline Lounge for service style straight out from the SQ-textbook with some personality thrown in.

Just after check-in, we were in time for afternoon tea, which consisted of a selection of sweet and savoury pastries, along with selection of non-alcoholic beverages and coffee/tea.

Some nice views from the lounge.

Old 5th December 2020, 12:32 AM   #6
ycp81

There is a private pool for Skyline guests beside the lounge.

Or you may head to the Olympic-length main pool below.

A less-known benefit is the free access for hotel guests to the onsen in the hotel spa. A taste of Japan in Singapore.

Similar to afternoon tea, dinner was offered ala-carte style and you may request for top-ups if desired. Food was generally tasty, though not of posh restaurant quality. For dinner, a selection of wines were available.

Back to the room to watch the National Day TV broadcast, and also having a great vantage point for the fireworks at Marina Bay.

Then it was back to the lounge for the final meal of the day, some delicious desserts accompanied with a pot of TWG Vanilla Bourbon tea.

Lounge breakfast the next morning was also pretty generous and of good quality.

After some gym workout (forgot to snap a photo of the gym) and lazing at the pool, it was the last meal at the lounge (lunch) before checkout.

Overall a pretty comfortable and value-for-money stay at One Farrer Hotel. Luxury at not-so-luxury price, and well worth a try.
Old 8th December 2020, 12:24 AM   #7
ycp81

Default #3 The Fullerton Hotel

The Fullerton Hotel
Quay Room

In September, I booked a weekend stay at one of the hotels which I had always wanted to try, The Fullerton Hotel. The package I bought included a stay in the Heritage room, breakfast, early check-in at 11am, late check-out at 4pm and $150 dining credit, all at a very attractive price.

The magnificent Fullerton Building is a grand neoclassical landmark built in 1928. Gazetted in December 2015 as a National Monument, it was once home to Singapore’s General Post Office, the Exchange Room and Exchange Reference Library, and the prestigious Singapore Club. For nearly a century, it played a pivotal role in Singapore’s rich history. Today, The Fullerton Hotel Singapore has been transformed into a stunning 400-room heritage hotel in Singapore.

It was my first visit into the hotel, and it certainly had an old world charm.

Upon check-in, we were upgraded to the Quay Room.

The Quay Room offers charming views of the historic Singapore River and is a popular choice of accommodation with our guests.

Entering the room, we were first greeted by a hallway leading to the closet area and a huge bathroom.

Closet contained bathrobes, slippers, ironing board, shoe mitt and safe. There was also an extra pillow available.

Bathroom was huge, with a separate tub and shower stall. There is also an 'intelligent' WC (no photo of it), where the cover will automatically open once you approach, along with various functions similar to a Japanese WC.

Amenities by Atkinson, though we are not a fan of the scent.

There is a short flight of steps to the bedroom, which was spacious, charming and comfortable. Even with the King bed, there was still a ton of space.

Old 20th December 2020, 07:57 AM   #8
zilchster
SQTalk PPS Club

Not to alarm you, but the Mandarin Orchard was also hosting guests who were under quarantine.
zilchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 01:32 PM   #9
ycp81

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilchster View Post
Not to alarm you, but the Mandarin Orchard was also hosting guests who were under quarantine.
Yes they are not the only hotel to do so. It was made known to staycation guests that SHN guests are housed in a separate building. Same for other hotels with separate buildings such as Fairmont, Grand Hyatt (which i will be reviewing next), Orchard Hotel, Carlton Hotel etc.
Old 20th December 2020, 05:21 PM   #10
zilchster
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycp81 View Post
Yes they are not the only hotel to do so. It was made known to staycation guests that SHN guests are housed in a separate building. Same for other hotels with separate buildings such as Fairmont, Grand Hyatt (which i will be reviewing next), Orchard Hotel, Carlton Hotel etc.
I wonder if that is wise for the hotel to do so. There has been a leakage into the community in Australia from hotel quarantine.
zilchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:08 AM   #11
ycp81

Default #5 Grand Hyatt Singapore

Grand Hyatt Singapore
King Deluxe Room

My second staycation in the month of Oct was at the Grand Hyatt Singapore. Passing the hotel rather frequently during my trips to Orchard, I had always thought that the hotel seemed quite run-of-the-mill hotel in the shopping belt, but boy was I wrong.

A destination in itself, Grand Hyatt Singapore is the ideal starting point for any trip to the garden city. Enjoy the hotel’s lush gardens, award-winning spa treatments, colourful cuisine and contemporary guestrooms with the luxury of being right in the centre of the city’s entertainment and shopping scene at Orchard Road.

This would be a rather short staycation, checking in on Friday evening due to work commitments, and checked out the next day noon. The reception was very empty as almost all staycationers had checked in earlier.

During this period, the lowest category room on offer was the Deluxe room. The huge Deluxe room is actually laid out similar to a Junior Suite in other hotels.

Unwind in a 581 sq ft (54 sq m) room outfitted with a king bed, en suite bathroom, separate living area and generous work desk in a suite layout.

Entering the room, we were greeted by the spacious living area.

Access into the bedroom.

The bedroom is decently sized with a King bed. Spacious, clean and functional, but nothing too impressive. I also found the bed a bit too hard for my liking.

The marbled bathroom is gorgeous though. There is a bathtub, with separate toilet and shower cubicles.

Amenities by the Italian brand Balmain (yes, the same person who designed SQ's sarong kebaya). Apart from the usual amenities, bath salt is offered as well.

At the bar area, there is a proper teapot with cups, along with complimentary bottled water.

Freeze-dried instant coffee and Monogram teas were available. The Monogram tea selection tasted really good!

Last edited by ycp81; 22nd December 2020 at 01:27 AM..
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:26 AM   #12
ycp81

However, there was not much of a view from the room. We were looking at the neighbouring building.

Breakfast was at The Straits Kitchen. Our breakfast slot needed to be pre-booked the day prior. Due to our late check-in, the available slots left are only quite early at around 8am. It also meant a much less crowded experience.

Breakfast was served ala-carte buffet style, with a wide selection of western and asian dishs, and offering freshly-squeezed juices as well! The menu can be found in the link below.

https://ireward.superghs.com/resourc...e%20Menu_1.pdf

We ordered quite a few dishes, and was able to try out the variety as servings were not too big. Service was good and efficient, quality of food is not bad, definitely one of the better hotel buffet breakfasts out there.

Exploring the hotel grounds after breakfast, we discovered an oasis within the hotel grounds. There was also a separate block which was currently used for quarantined guests and has a separate entrance with no access from the main block.

Most of the recreational facilities are located at the ground level of the quarantine block. There is a lounging area at the entrance to the recreational facilities.

Tennis courts are available for guests to book. One of the few hotels with tennis courts.

Old 23rd December 2020, 11:55 PM   #13
ycp81

2 tennis courts available.

Entrance to the spa and fitness center.

The fitness center is well equipped and suited for a real workout. In fact, they do offer gym membership for external guests as well!

On to the pool, which was sizable and of resort feel. The pool got quite busy towards later of the day.

Relaxing at the pool

My staycation package is inclusive of a 3-course set lunch for 2 at Mezza9, which I had after check-out.

Discover an exciting and contemporary hotel restaurant in Singapore along Scotts Road featuring Asian and Western cuisines. With nine different dining experiences, you can choose to sit in any area and still order from all the show kitchens around you. Choose from the thai kitchen, sushi bar, grill, steam basket, sustainable seafood counter, patisserie, party room and martini bar. If you are looking for the best venue in Singapore to have international fare, a sumptuous Sunday Brunch and specialty cocktails, mezza9 is your choice.

The restaurant seemed very popular as it was almost full of lunch goers during the weekend. Lunch menu can be accessed via the link below.

https://ireward.superghs.com/resourc...ner%20menu.pdf

To start, we had the sashimi salad and the tuna roll. Both were very good.

Mains were the beef steak and lamb steak. The beef steak was good but portion a tad small, while the lamb was a huge and very tender cut.

Ending with a green tea soft serve and excellent belgian molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice-cream.

It was a short stay but of excellent value for the package offered. Grand Hyatt Singapore is truly an oasis in the middle of the busy Orchard shopping district.
Old 28th December 2020, 12:11 AM   #14
ycp81

Default #6 Parkroyal on Beach Road

Parkroyal on Beach Road
Orchid Club Premier Room

The last staycation I went to in the month of October was the mid-tier hotel, Parkroyal Beach Road.

Whether for work or play, you can be sure of a great stay at our hotel in Bugis. Nestled by Singapore's city centre, PARKROYAL on Beach Road, Singapore lets you relax in comfort. With hidden gems nearby, we are your guide to all the best attractions along Bugis and the business hubs.

As the hotel lobby is currently undergoing a facelift, check-in was conducted at makeshift counters. Due to high occupancy over the weekend, the room was only available at 5pm instead of the original 3pm, but the reception extended my check-out for an equivalent 2hrs to 2pm.

Booked the 42sqm Orchid Club Premier King Room for this stay.

Located on the top levels of one of the best hotels near Singapore flyer, our newly renovated Orchid Club Premier Room lets you soak in beautiful views from a private balcony. At day’s end, take a refreshing rain shower or stay entertained with a wide array of channels. Enjoy Orchid Club privileges that include complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails.

As part of the hotel's new safety and hygiene protocol during Phase 2, access to the Orchid Club lounge is temporarily unavailable. Club breakfast, refreshments and evening cocktails will be served via in-room dining service for all Club guests to enjoy in the comfort of their room.

The room is recently renovated, modern, cosy and very spacious.

A care kit was provided to all guests.

The mini-bar included Nespresso capsules as well as instant coffees and Dilmah teas.

A complimentary plate of dried mangoes and pralines offered.

Bathroom was generously sized as well, with separate bathtub and shower stall.

The shampoo and shower gel compartments were empty due to the current situation.

Instead, Metis branded amenities were provided.

Other amenities provided.

Filtered drinking water tap is provided in the bathroom as well.

Old 29th December 2020, 12:13 AM   #15
ycp81

Each of the Orchid Club Premier Room has a balcony. However there is not much of a view to be said from my room due to blockage from the neighbouring building.

Due to the current conditions, complimentary evening cocktails with hors d’oeuvres are served via in-room dining between 6pm-8pm. Every half hour, hotel staff would come round each club room to offer choices of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Service by the staff was excellent, kept prompting us to order as many drink as we wished.

Apart from the bar tidbit, cocktail snacks also included light meals of canapes, salad, tomato soup, salmon and dessert.

Apart from the cocktail hour light meal and snacks, we also went down to the acclaimed Sichuan Douhua Chinese restaurant in the hotel to purchase bento set meals. True to the reviews, the bento sets are delicious!

The next morning, breakfast was served at the newly renovated Ginger restaurant. The restaurant interior was tastefully designed. A very refreshing concept.

We were given a menu sheet to indicate our orders. Even though the choices seemed like the usual breakfast selection, the quality would shock us (in a good way) later.