Which *A to join post PPS devaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ168 View Post
    Actually SQflyergirl, BD DC is now open to residents outside the certain countries.

I signed up online a few months ago and was reassured by a DC staff that it is legal to do so even though I'm not a resident of the certain countries.
    Oh is it? I read the T&C and it did not specify Malaysia - so I'm a bit doubtful. Should i try anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Oh is it? I read the T&C and it did not specify Malaysia - so I'm a bit doubtful. Should i try anyway?
      I think you should definitely try. When signing up online, there was an option for "Rest of the World" addresses. It accepted my Singapore address. I emailed DC customer service to confirm if this was legal and she said it was. I got my card and welcome letter in the mail upon reaching 3000 miles.

Comment

SQ168 is right, SQfg. The membership countries have recently been expanded for BD DC.

Like 9V-JKL, I prefer to redeem in premium classes. In the past, KrisFlyer's upgrade levels made long-haul Raffles Class reachable from my low-level *A flying on SQ (made even better by the tier bonus). But the Feb 07 double-redemption levels would now mean roughly two years of flights before I could afford a one-way upgrade. Mileage expiry and no access to KrisFlyer credit card miles mean KrisFlyer is now a much less attractive alternative.

So I'm going to check out banking with BD's program. I have a UK-based BD card; 25% bonus and minimum miles on my non-SQ flights (very useful for pumping up the miles from short intra-Europe hops); non-expiring miles; and the very generous cash+miles option (which makes redemptions easier to come by). Ha, if I'm lucky, I might even get to taste the LH FCT (something which my 3-year KrisFlyer miles wouldn't have allowed me to experience).

In the meantime, the lower threshold for *G on BD means I have greater leeway for banking my Europe-Asia miles with a oneworld alliance airline .
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          SQ168 is right, SQfg. The membership countries have recently been expanded for BD DC.
          Yes, I myself was able to join BD DC using my Canadian home address.

... and the very generous cash+miles option (which makes redemptions easier to come by). Ha, if I'm lucky, I might even get to taste the LH FCT (something which my 3-year KrisFlyer miles wouldn't have allowed me to experience).
          I am sure you would experience FCT very soon! 25,000 miles with GBP 270, would get you CPH-FRA-SIN LH F SIN-NRT SQ F. Thus you will be able to experience fully FCT in FRA, and yet you still can enjoy SKL F.

In the meantime, the lower threshold for *G on BD means I have greater leeway for banking my Europe-Asia miles with a oneworld alliance airline .
          Does this mean we will have SQTalk gathering in HKG with everyone flying in on Traitor Air?

Comment

CGK, I just noticed - congratulations on your (new?) NW status! Two SkyTeam ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              CGK, I just noticed - congratulations on your (new?) NW status! Two SkyTeam ?
              Thank you for noticing. Been up there for couple days. It took more than a month though to get answer for my "comp" inquiry. Faxed the info, and no news. Then decided to send the hard copy of my FFP accounts for 2006 using next day delivery service. And two days later got the Gold.
              Any good fares in J you know?

Comment

To maintain comped DL and NW, you'll have to fly a lot of ST! chrissxb on TOF told me once about some relatively cheap F fare (less than £2k I think ?) which will get you FB platinum in one go but I didn't take too much notice. And unless they do a SQ (i.e. back out of a commitment because, according to the newspaper article, it's too expensive for SQ to support LPP ), 10 years of FB platinum gets you top status for life!

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                  Thank you for noticing. Been up there for couple days. It took more than a month though to get answer for my "comp" inquiry. Faxed the info, and no news. Then decided to send the hard copy of my FFP accounts for 2006 using next day delivery service. And two days later got the Gold.
                  Any good fares in J you know?
                  CMB-YVR

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                    CMB-YVR
                    You mean on NW, right?

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                      You mean on NW, right?
                      UL CMB-SIN followed by NW SIN-NRT-SFO/LAX/SEA/PDX-YVR. Used to be you could get SQ CMB-SIN, but I heard its now restricted to UL for the lower fares. Stopovers allowed everywhere - at least in SIN, NRT both ways.
                      Last edited by Savage25; 14 March 2007, 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

No wonder UL shows all zeroes for the date I wanted. May be many got the NW tix!

Comment

How easy/difficult is it to redeem miles from LH M&M?
                          I am thinking to put all my miles to LH M&M after September 1st, 2007.
                          Mostly due to the 200% mileage accrual on C/J class fares and therefore not to difficult to reach Senator.
                          What are the chances of LH doing something similar to what SQ is doing and reducing from 200% to 125% like most other airlines?
                          I wouldn't want to change and then find out "new rules" will come into place but I guess that's the name of the game.
                          I prefer not to put my miles into to many different programs. The only other options I thought of were putting miles back into AC Aeroplan or maybe TG ROP.

Comment

Originally posted by yvrcnx View Post
                            How easy/difficult is it to redeem miles from LH M&M?
                            I am thinking to put all my miles to LH M&M after September 1st, 2007.
                            Mostly due to the 200% mileage accrual on C/J class fares and therefore not to difficult to reach Senator.
                            What are the chances of LH doing something similar to what SQ is doing and reducing from 200% to 125% like most other airlines?
                            I wouldn't want to change and then find out "new rules" will come into place but I guess that's the name of the game.
                            I prefer not to put my miles into to many different programs. The only other options I thought of were putting miles back into AC Aeroplan or maybe TG ROP.
                            M+M was last radically 'enhanced' in 2004 so I daresay further 'enhancements' in the immediate future will be minor. But of course I could be wrong.

BTW - you will accrue at 225% once you hit LH*S on the flights of integrated partners (ie LH/LX/LO/OS and a few other tiny airlines).

The earn/burn ratio of LH is pretty good, and availability is the same as the rest of *A as they all use *net. Unless you're using UA MP in which case they make life hard for you if you want to redeem miles on partners. For some reason they particularly hate it when you redeem miles on SQ when UA flies the same route.

Of course, members of each airline's FFP will usually have expanded access to seats on the 'home' airline.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 March 2007, 10:06 AM. Reason: incorrect terminology
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              M+M was last radically 'enhanced' in 2004 so I daresay further 'enhancements' in the immediate future will be minor. But of course I could be wrong.

BTW - you will accrue at 225% once you hit LH*S on the flights of integrated partners (ie LH/LX/LO/OS and a few other tiny airlines).

The earn/burn ratio of LH is pretty good, and availability is the same as the rest of *A as they all use *net. Unless you're using UA MP in which case they make life hard for you if you want to redeem miles on partners. For some reason they particularly hate it when you redeem miles on SQ when UA flies the same route.

Of course, members of each airline's FFP will usually have expanded access to seats on the 'home' FFP.
                              Thanks KeithMel. The 225% are those status miles or just the 200% are status and 25% bonus miles which don't count towards higher status?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                BD DC isn't open to residents outside certain countries
                                YES they are.

You have to join using an address of certain countries on their website. But afterwards, you can then change the address.

What's to prevent you, SQflyergirl, from putting even BUCKINGHAM PALACE as your place of residence initially, and then change it over (via email) to whatever address you want immediately after?

Comment

Working...
                                X