Scooting from Sydney in Scootbiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scooting from Sydney in Scootbiz

Scoot has been flying around for a good 6 years but I have yet to try their ScootBiz product. A recent trip was an opportunity to try it finally. I purchased the ticket more than half a year back at a price point that was about the same as a regularly-priced SQ economy and I thought it was a good value enough for more legroom and seat width. I did actually consider flying their economy because it was dirt cheap but decided not to do so every time I remember a squeezy unbearable experience on an Emirates 10-across 777s on short hop from DOH to DXB.

I don’t have much experience with Premium Economy except for a single flight with Aeroflot 2 years ago so I would say this is almost an exciting experience to try something new.

Flight: TR3
    Aircraft: 787-900 (9V-OJC Inspiring Spirit)
    Seat: 1K
    Load: 100% (35/35)

My journey started in the morning peak hour at SYD airport when most international departures are.

I was really early and arrived a good more than 3 hours early together with my parents and Brother who were all on separate flights with SQ and GA respectively. As such I had to wait for Scoot counter to open right at the 3 hour mark and they were punctual. I was one of the first.

ScootBiz has its own lane and counters.

Typical of LCC, my hand luggage has to be weighed and tagged despite I was travelling in their so-called premium cabin.

Having settled my tax refund matters, I explored the airport which is much nicer than I previously remembered. I don’t actually come here often, my last was 3-4 years ago. It’s now bright, spacious, and has lots of F&B options and shops and it won’t be difficult to pass time here without lounge access (no, ScootBiz is not providing lounge access, although I would love to have that possibly as part of PPS benefit!)

I didn’t spend and spent most of time walking around as I also had to send my parents and brother on different flights at different piers....

Some plane spotting. I spotted some that I don’t usually see like Air Canada and Cebu Pacific’s wide-body.

And in the distance, an Air Asia X and Air Vanuatu had just landed.

Just barely an hour before scheduled departure time, our Scoot bird just arrived.

I went to the gate and wow, I found it really packed. It’s doing really well.

Queues were divided into lanes but the screens were not showing anything so there was confusion of who is to line up where and the gate agent had a frustrating time trying to manage the situation where everyone tried to be at the gate all at once. Passengers were sorted by ‘zones’ 1-4. Scootbiz and perhaps passengers with children seem to belong to Zone 1.

Boarding commenced just a few minutes prior to scheduled departure, which means a guaranteed slight delay. Zone 1 and Zone 4 boarded together. So it’s not exactly a small crowd. ScootBiz has some privilege but not that super-privileged.

First, we all landed up at the jet bridge to wait. Okay, so we were some sort of time management victims for the extra fast turn-around that morning.

Entering onboard, we were greeted by rows of blue seats (quite ugly old fashioned colour scheme IMO)

From where, I was directed leftwards to my seat at 1K

ScootBiz seats are arranged in rows of 7s (2-3-2) and they are all recliners. I am having the expectation of a Premium Economy here so no compliants. I think it is appropriate.

I am on Row 1 with good legroom and I think this row is still the row to choose from. You can get in and out easily even when you have a seat mate.

The downside is that there is only one window.

Comment

I started to look around. Seats are in leather, and not exactly in top notch condition. However, I have to say that the seats feel good. And I find it a lot more comfortable than say Jet Airways domestic business class recliners where the recline and calf support don’t exactly match my needs. Somewhat, the Scoot ones feel really good on me. Mẩy be it’s designed to suit my Asian frame!

Less-than-top-notch condition headrest. This aircraft is 3 years old and such is the condition. Either the material is poor, or the maintenance is bad. or both

On the arm rest too.

Very basic functions of the seats but I really find them to be very suitable and comfortable.

Basic lighting and call function buttons.

In no time, service started with mineral water. Overall, I found the crew to be good enough.

And then they distributed the wifi password for the supposedly complimentary wifi.

I am going to rant a bit here. I think it’s too late! I didn’t know that ScootTV needs an app that needs to be downloaded from the App Store and that means it requires an internet connection!i had run out of data and once onboard, there was no wifi other than Scoot’s own. I wonder if it’s deliberate to make people spend more. I am sure the issue must have been highlighted on website etc but I am sure a lot of people would miss this fact as first timer. They could have highlighted it at check in counter using a pamphlet or poster even if not told verbally. I also wonder why they can’t use the SilkAir or Jet Airways system where it’s all accessible without a special app. Is it cheaper for them this way? Or it’s a hidden intent to direct people to purchase wifi.

Luckily it’s not that horribly long flight. And although I could enjoy a movie at least, I am actually happy that I complete this entire trip report on the flight itself!

They provide an extensive suite of reading materials: menu, shopping catalogue, IFE, and features.

The menu is very extensive. And many of them are available only on selected routes. The price point is ok by Australian standard but expensive by Singapore or Indian standard. For ScootBiz, it’s all included though and my pick today was the Signature Nasi Goreng with satay, which apparently is a recent addition to the menu.

Premium selection is a set and this is included in ScootBiz fare.

Elsewhere, one can also order individual hot meals. This page is an example, there are at least 10 more other pages.

Ice cream by Udders with local flavour. This is interesting.

Comment

Unless one is in ScootBiz,everything is chargeable. Even for power!

They also have prices for upgrades. I overheard a conversation between a passenger and the FA. She was trying to upgrade her Son and apparently it’s $160. I am not sure if this is to ScootBiz or stretch seats. I think it’s to ScootBiz as I overheard another price of $80 which must be to the stretch seats. For $160, i think is a good deal for a 7-8 hour flight. Does anyone have experience of upgrades on Scoot? I wonder of the price range between the online bids, the counter upgrade, and even on the plane itself, and of the price changes depending on availability.

I am really annoyed by the wifi issue.

They have a network map which shows mostly SQ cities. I think that’s not really helpful as I think interlining is not the norm.

And there is something called a Value Alliance. I wonder what this does. Again, I don’t think they codeshare, or interlink, or have rewards system that can be earned and redeemed across the alliance.

Scoot names every aircraft, some of them can be silly. My plane today, 9V-OJC is Inspiring Spirit (one of the more rational and sober names)!

I logged on to the wifi and i thought its quite an elaborate system! ScootTV could just be part of this. Annoying.

So my ScootTV Page was all highlighted by these icons since i didn’t download the app.

With no IFE screen, safety demonstration is manual.

Then pushback. Next to my beloved SQ.

It is always a sight to take off from Sydney. We headed south first and what I view I had from the right side of the plane. Stunning.

Last edited by SQueeze; 19 April 2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

The sunshades soon were dimmed centrally by the FA although later on, we each individually could override it.

Where I peeped to look at some interesting scenes of the red centre.

While the single meal service was served. It started with a selection of beverage which includes wine served in plastic cup

The actual meal itself came about 20 minutes after that. It looks like an economy class meal. Main, potato salad, cookie, and water. I wish it was the Haagen Dasz as shown in the menu.

The Nasi Goreng was delicious. Totally worth it. The satay was moist and I thought it was even better than SQ’s!

And then almost 4 hours into the flight, we left the continent near Broome.

Another 2 hours later, we flew over Bali. The smaller island is the island of Nusa Penida.

and then onwards to Singapore.

Overall impression:

I am really happy with ScootBiz and would not hesitate to fly with them again. I think it’s a good balance of an affordable price point and space. I wouldn’t mind it even on European routes (day time eastbound routes).not sure about the westbound overnight but may be ok too. I am only annoyed by having to download ScooTv app prior to the flight. It’s silly to tell us so onboard. But then, I wouldn’t face this issue again.

Comment

Very nice TR, SQueeze! I enjoyed reading it!

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
            Entering onboard, we were greeted by rows of blue seats (quite ugly old fashioned colour scheme IMO)
            I am not a fan of the Y cabin color scheme either, although my main issue is with the headrest covers, with the yellow ScootTV advertisements, which just looks tacky.

Very basic functions of the seats but I really find them to be very suitable and comfortable.
            I am a fan of the ScootBiz seat on the 787 as well. Very comfortable and spacious, and to me as good as, or even better than, SQ PEY seats (Which is a legit comparison since price-wise ScootBiz and SQ PEY are not too different).

The menu is very extensive. And many of them are available only on selected routes. The price point is ok by Australian standard but expensive by Singapore or Indian standard. For ScootBiz, it’s all included though and my pick today was the Signature Nasi Goreng with satay, which apparently is a recent addition to the menu.

Premium selection is a set and this is included in ScootBiz fare.
            Yes, a very extensive and mouthwatering menu. I find these meals better than Y and even PEY on SQ (In terms of taste and choice, although the presentation is no-frills), even though it comes as an extra charge for Y pax.

Unless one is in ScootBiz,everything is chargeable. Even for power!
            Yes, quite amused that Y pax who need A/C power will need to pay their PUB bill!

Scoot names every aircraft, some of them can be silly. My plane today, 9V-OJC is Inspiring Spirit (one of the more rational and sober names)!
            Yes, some are quite cringeworthy. Were they really so short of witty and fun names that they had to resort to christening 9V-TAV "Flying Banana"?

I am really happy with ScootBiz and would not hesitate to fly with them again. I think it’s a good balance of an affordable price point and space. I wouldn’t mind it even on European routes (day time eastbound routes).not sure about the westbound overnight but may be ok too.
            I am a HUGE fan of ScootBiz too (And also Scoot Y). I would definitely consider Scoot for any holiday travel, whether regional or long haul. Looking forward to Scoot starting more long haul routes...
            Last edited by yflyer; 21 April 2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the review, looks fairly civilised. Flying ScootBiz on the same route in June for a long weekend - your TR has been reassuring (and to think I was having a rant recently about 'only' finding J reward availability on CX for a trip over Christmas/NY as they don't provide PJs, mattress pads and bed linens for sleep and sometimes pass off battery acid as champagne... #perspective ). They had a sale and the fares were cheaper than even the sale fares in whY on QF. Day flights both ways are definitely way more appealing than a red eye on the return in cattle. Makes long weekends in SE Asia a very viable venture.

Will ensure we download the IFE app prior to leaving home. Thanks for the heads up.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 April 2018, 10:58 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Oh does Scoot no longer provide iPads for ScootBiz now?

Comment

Great TR SQueeze. Excellent pics of SYD and TR's Business class. Hope you enjoyed the flight.

Comment

Thanks for the comments yflyer, KeithMEL, happyflyer, SQfanatic

Yflyer, why did you say the price of scootbiz is similar to SQ PEY. For me it seems more like matching SQ Y. I can’t think of a reason why I would be forking out for an SQ PEY when it is already exceeding some other airlines J class.

Can we really get SQ PEY for S$500 from Aussie, and S$900 to Europe? My impression is that they are always in the thousands... even when buying return, will work out to be much more when divided by Two.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Yflyer, why did you say the price of scootbiz is similar to SQ PEY. For me it seems more like matching SQ Y. I can’t think of a reason why I would be forking out for an SQ PEY when it is already exceeding some other airlines J class.
                      I think ticket prices vary a lot depending on dates and fare buckets, and I agree that there are often real bargains on ScootBiz, and conversely prices can be quite high for SQ PEY. You are right to say that ScootBiz is often a lot cheaper than SQ PEY.

Examples of high ScootBiz prices are close to SQ PEY, for example I have seen ScootBiz SIN-SYD-SIN as high as S$1600, and SQ PEY on SIN-SYD-SIN as low as S$1800. But that's not an apples-to-apples comparison, as the ScootBiz example was a peak fare during June hols, whereas the SQ PEY fare was off-peak in Sep. The June holiday fare for SQ PEY was S$3500 (!).

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        Examples of high ScootBiz prices are close to SQ PEY, for example I have seen ScootBiz SIN-SYD-SIN as high as S$1600, and SQ PEY on SIN-SYD-SIN as low as S$1800. But that's not an apples-to-apples comparison, as the ScootBiz example was a peak fare during June hols, whereas the SQ PEY fare was off-peak in Sep. The June holiday fare for SQ PEY was S$3500 (!).
                        Hmm. Ok.

So since we can get $1,300 MH J class to Aussie RT, or $1700 VN J RT class there, I don't think i will never get to fly SQ PEY ever

Comment

Working...
                        X