Why do people fly Cathay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
    I agree with pogonation regarding CX's position. The thing about SQ is that there aren't that many major countries south of it... just Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand. In addition, CX's advantage to LHR from MNL is that the overall journey time is shorter (including stopovers).

I don't know if this is just me but I get the feeling that HKG-LHR is CX's flagship route? Who thinks so as well? If that's the case, that probably tipped the scales for why CX was chosen to LHR.
    No major countries south Singapore, just Indonesia, Oz and NZ? That's a bit of a stretch in my opinion. How do you figure?

For example, if I remember correctly the highest frequency in SQ's network is CGK. 8x a day and always packed. And Jakarta-Singapore apparently also ranks as the third busiest *international* passenger route in the world as well: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../daily-chart-8

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
      No major countries south Singapore, just Indonesia, Oz and NZ? That's a bit of a stretch in my opinion. How do you figure?

For example, if I remember correctly the highest frequency in SQ's network is CGK. 8x a day and always packed. And Jakarta-Singapore apparently also ranks as the third busiest *international* passenger route in the world as well: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../daily-chart-8
      Last time I checked - and granted it was a while ago, so times may have changed - but is Jakarta not only a part of Indonesia but also the capital?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
        Last time I checked - and granted it was a while ago, so times may have changed - but is Jakarta not only a part of Indonesia but also the capital?

Gunnar, I'm not sure I follow you. You want to inform me that Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia?? You are certainly correct, nothing has changed! The Big Durian is home base for me.

The point of my previous comment was to respectfully disagree to the assertion by the previous poster "hybridace101" that Indonesia is not a major country. The very high frequency of flights to CGK (and also additional flights to DPS, SUB, MES, UPG, LOP, BDO) would make me conclude that it is indeed a major country for SQ. If you were trying to fly to or from any of these destinations, I would guess that flying SQ would be much more convenient than CX. But perhaps others could still disagree based on some other reasoning. To me, Australia also seems like a major country for SQ, but I'll let others more familiar to speak to that.
        Last edited by Short Final; 21 June 2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

The point of my previous comment was to respectfully disagree to the assertion by the previous poster "hybridace101" that Indonesia is not a major country.
          S/he didn't assert that - you need to read again what s/he said.

Comment

Gunnar, I'm not sure I follow you. You want to inform me that Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia?? You are certainly correct, nothing has changed! The Big Durian is home base for me.

The point of my previous comment was to respectfully disagree to the assertion by the previous poster "hybridace101" that Indonesia is not a major country. The very high frequency of flights to CGK (and also additional flights to DPS, SUB, MES, UPG, LOP, BDO) would make me conclude that it is indeed a major country for SQ. If you were trying to fly to or from any of these destinations, I would guess that flying SQ would be much more convenient than CX. But perhaps others could still disagree based on some other reasoning. To me, Australia also seems like a major country for SQ, but I'll let others more familiar to speak to that.
            In fact hybridace101 said the opposite. Southern to Singapore only have 3 countries, namely Indonesia, OZ and NZ.

As the importance of CGK for SQ, I think that is quite correct. SQ never cut down it service to CGK even during the crisis. However, SQ only flies to CGK and DPS.

Actually hybridace101 is quite correct. I think there is less major cities within 3-4 hours flying time from SIN compare to HKG. That's why more CX flights are using lousy "regional" fleets.

In fact I am not wrong, in term of positioning BKK actually is the best location (aka the center of Far East) with DBX is so-call "center" of the world from the Aviation Industries prespective...
            visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
              In fact hybridace101 said the opposite. Southern to Singapore only have 3 countries, namely Indonesia, OZ and NZ.

As the importance of CGK for SQ, I think that is quite correct. SQ never cut down it service to CGK even during the crisis. However, SQ only flies to CGK and DPS.

Actually hybridace101 is quite correct. I think there is less major cities within 3-4 hours flying time from SIN compare to HKG. That's why more CX flights are using lousy "regional" fleets.

In fact I am not wrong, in term of positioning BKK actually is the best location (aka the center of Far East) with DBX is so-call "center" of the world from the Aviation Industries prespective...
              Sounds like I misread the point from hybridace101. I'll take a look again. Apologies for that.

lingua101, I was considering Silk Air as part of Singapore Airlines when I made my previous statement, regarding service to MES, SUB, UPG etc.

Comment

Just came back on a trip to BKK with CX and I gotta say I was a bit disappointed with them. I was travelling with my wife and our 5-month old baby. We were give bassinet seats. However, the crew did not come and set up the bassinet for us, and also did not give my baby any baby food. We were on MI 2 months ago to KCH, a much shorter flight compared to BKK and the MI crew asked if we wanted a bassinet and also gave our baby 3 jars of baby food.

Seems like CX ain't 5 star after all. To me at least.

Comment

To me, Australia also seems like a major country for SQ, but I'll let others more familiar to speak to that.
                  Don't get the MEL kids started on this one

Comment

Had my most disappointing experience on CX so far today, flying SIN-HKG in Y.

Was seated in front bulkhead row 30H, and when my neighbour in 30K pulled out his tray table the air was filled with the most rancid stench imaginable! Truly disgusting.

My neighbour wasn't an especially pushy chap, and merely asked the FA for a wet towel to wipe the table. Of course that didn't quite solve the problem.

Finally after 3 more minutes, I had no alternative but to walk to the galley and insist that the senior FA come an inspect/inhale for herself, and this finally got some action.

End result: Lot's of sorrys and a proper wipedown from the crew. But not a good experience at all.

Comment

It seems that CX is mostly only interrested to satisfy F and J passengers.

For Y, I do not think they care at all. As long as they can fill their planes with people from the mainland who do not care that much if the service is crap or not or if they are treated well or not, why bother. Look at regional flights like SIN, KUL, BKK or even international to CDG, most of the passengers are from the mainland.

For myself, I try to avoid CX as much as I can, even if I am based in HK. Definitely not worth the money

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        ...flying SIN-HKG in Y.

HUGE AL

Comment

Now sitting in the CX (temporary) Wing F...

Flight to SIN and at least two others (BKK, PVG) have been announced on the PA as delayed.

Comment

Now sitting in the CX (temporary) Wing F...

Flight to SIN and at least two others (BKK, PVG) have been announced on the PA as delayed.
                            Head to The Pier -- it's better!
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              Head to The Pier -- it's better!
                              And here I am

Comment

And here I am
                                Other than the Asian on Asian racist comments I experienced, those private rooms rocked!

Gosh, that spit in my Champagne and food weren't too obvious!
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X