No announcement yet.

SQ to get competiton ex-MAN for flights straight to APAC region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIN is fine, and would do well as a stand alone, just like it did before. They were having to off load people earlier this week.

IAH is not doing as well, although it has started to pick up. I flew MAN-IAH yesterday and I would say the front J cabin was half empty. It does mean there are some great prices on PE for MAN-IAH, although it can fluctuate as we sent two Engineers to IAH a few weeks ago and it cost half what it cost to send two more this week!.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 7 April 2017, 04:55 AM.

Comment

That's good to hear, I'd heard they are looking at extra capacity MAN-SIN but MAN-IAH may hold it back. Hopefully in good time the service can expand...

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
        That's good to hear, I'd heard they are looking at extra capacity MAN-SIN but MAN-IAH may hold it back. Hopefully in good time the service can expand...
        Will SIA consider adding SIN-MAN flights only, with a separate flight number?

Comment

Originally posted by SMARTDODO View Post
          Will SIA consider adding SIN-MAN flights only, with a separate flight number?
          The trap they will fall into with that is the same as with BCN when they were flying to GRU. If they fill one of the current gap days with a MAN terminator, the previous day's flight to IAH will turn up in MAN from IAH at the same time as the terminator arrives from SIN. They then have two planes in MAN, ready to return to SIN, on the same day at the same time.

Comment

Hmm... Or is it possible to fill up the gap by flying to a new US destination via MAN (e.g. IAD)?

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
              Hmm... Or is it possible to fill up the gap by flying to a new US destination via MAN (e.g. IAD)?
              Another US flight might be an option.

A MAN terminator alongside SQ51/52 would need to be a different flight time avoid the issue identified by SQ228. A night (say 9pm) departure ex MAN should catch the bank of departures ex SIN arriving to Australia and NZ in their morning. 2-4 a week would make an interesting proposition and cover the gaps in service MAN-SIN.

Comment

HU are to go daily PEK-MAN from July.

Touching on SQ228's point above, I wonder if a 2x weekly terminator could be timed differently so it connects to a different bank at SIN. Even though this would mean there would be two flights per day SIN-MAN on two days of the week, they would be spread out in terms of hours and offer a daily MAN-SIN return.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
                  HU are to go daily PEK-MAN from July.
                  Who's HU?

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                    Who's HU?
                    Hainan Airlines of the People's Republic of China.
                    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                      Who's HU?
                      Definitely not Yu...
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                        Definitely not Yu...

Comment

Hope the above picture works as it tees up what I have to say below. Apologies if not, also for dragging up and old thread but it felt the most appropriate, and close to me given that I am based close to MAN.

My experience of travelling between MAN (which has similar timings on SQ to other EU cities like Rome, Milan, Barcelona, Dusseldorf, Munich, Amsterdam, Copenhagen) and APAC, is as follows.

For EU-Australia, the connecting bank at SIN is pretty good, and competes well with the MEB3 and CX who are the major competition. This is mostly down to the multiple daily flights between the major Australian ports and SIN. There is an issue with departure times ex MAN, but it is unrealistic to expect more than a daily SQ flight to European destinations outside LHR, FRA, CDG.

For EU-New Zealand, the SQ connection banks could be better, and the MEB3 have a significant advantage, which is demonstrated by the graphic I hope has appeared above. Outbound (MAN-NZ) there is a good connection (40mins) to AKL, but to WEL and CHC you are waiting several (9+) hours for a connection, with WEL an additional CBR stop. Inbound, there are no good connections - even AKL you are liking at a 6hr connection.

I wonder whether any realistic steps can be taken to try and improve SQ's market share between Europe and NZ? I gather CX may add multiple daily frequency at MAN, which may squeeze SQ. As good as that would be, I'm not advocating throwing capacity at the issue, but can minor adjustments on the timing make a realistic difference?

Be good to hear your thoughts.

Comment

I fly between MAN and BNE. I have found SQ to be the best all round, especially now MUC has been removed from the situation. SQ lands at BNE at a good time, I can go to bed after the flight. Other operators land in the morning or afternoon, that is a killer with jet lag.

I won't fly CX as there is a long connection time (can't remember in what direction though).

I won't fly EK because of poor J seats.

Comment

Hi FN-GM - have you flown to NZ?

I think SQ's connection options are not as attractive as others in EU-NZ. Your experience to Australia sounds familiar to me!

EDIT:

Perhaps SQ could split the AKL service between a single B77W/A380 to a double daily A359? This would be in addition to ANZ's daily flight in the JV. A late afternoon/early evening departure ex AKL could connect well into the European departure bank ex SIN?
                              Last edited by Dobbo; 24 November 2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I haven't been to NZ via SQ. I usually fly from Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                X