This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nursalimLPP View Post
    I already max out of SQ what other FFP should i go for?

I do fly alot on SQ but i was just wondering if there are any good FFP out there that can benefit me with travels within the US and asia.

I was thinking CX? UA? AA? BA? any suggestion? I do hardly fly to hong kong so maybe CX is out.
    Originally posted by nursalimLPP View Post
    I am Lpp in sq already before they did the value thing i have hit around 1100 flight sectors.

I just want a different FFP but I dont know which 1 to go to. Asia basically I fly SQ north america UA.

And I do intend to fly alot to europe from america probably I take UA to. I might go with mileage plus.

I use to fly to New york first before I go to europe just to take SQ.

But now since SQ planes to the US are all 744 nothing new I might just take and try other airlines for the fun of it.
    Again, it depends on how often you fly, or how many flight miles you do each year. Some flyers can spread around into many FFPs. Some can't.
    As I said before, when you fly to Asia on SQ for example, being in C or F, the PPS Value will be counted automatically, but the miles you earned can be credited to any Star Alliance FFP. You have to see what do you want to do with the miles? Upgrades? Free tickets? There are so many factors to be taken into account for maximizing the FFP that fits to each flyers.
    For example, I was able to spread my miles when flying SQ into LH Miles & More, as well as BD Diamond Club. Each program has particular benefit for me.
    Anyhow, if you want to drop SQ from your flights, to NRT there is a great alternative, i.e. NH, being member of *A. To Europe, I still do like LH (and if you fly more, you can spread your wings to BA). Of course now UA has the new seats in C and F, it's something to consider. Swiss is a good one.
    In short, if you know how many miles a year you fly, you will be able to decide how many top elites FFP you can aim at.

Note: I think there was other thread that discussed similar question like yours!

Comment

• Yeah, I'll check them out but i think i might aim at UA.

I can get 1k even at flying Star alliance.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        That sticky covers mainly alternatives to KF when continuing to fly on SQ or other *A members...
        Originally posted by SQflyer View Post
        Thanks everyone for the advice! and i in response to HugeAL i did check the sticky already. im now leaning towards ANA despite the early afternoon departure and the somewhat less desirable regional C seats between NRT-SIN and the not so fun overnight return in those seats from SIN-NRT as I am not able to find any cheap C class fares on BA/QF to SIN.
        OK, NOW we're definitely on the topic of the sticky.

If you're "leaning towards ANA" (or any carrier for that matter) you do not have to credit your mileage directly to that carrier. True, some additional benefits can be had while flying your host FFP. ANA has an OK program and does treat their Diamonds pretty well. Qualification must include 50k EQMs on NH metal. Upgrades using Diamond Certificates/Points are almost always granted (I don't know of any Diamonds who didn't get their upgrade), but the burn ratio utilizing miles sucks.

Being a Japanese carrier, the service level given to NH Diamonds is excellent and much more rewarding than PPS -- but then again, most things are more rewarding than PPS.

Net/Net: if you're planning on flying NH, check out the sticky and go with the *A program that best fits your needs.

jjpb3, NOW if OP definitely goes with NH or a *A carrier, can we merge this?
        HUGE AL

Comment

• Hi Huge Al

Is ANA's earn burn ratio that bad?

Which, in your opinion, other than BMI's (was?) is good?
          Last edited by sabian; 24 February 2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sabian View Post
            Is ANA's earn burn ratio that bad?

Which, in your opinion, other than BMI's is (was?) is good?
            With regard to upgrading, yes. However, being that their full redemptions are distance based, their burn ratio in that case is very good -- albeit the RT only requirement.

Others on here (and also in the sticky ) are better able to answer your second question.
            HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              jjpb3, NOW if OP definitely goes with NH or a *A carrier, can we merge this?
              There you go, sir.

jjpb3
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Thanks Al!

What prompted the question is my own experience. I flew ANA to IAD/JFK last Dec. 4Y earned enough points for almost 2 SIN-NRT (low peak) return.

I remembered calculating for KF, it is not possible.

What made it great is that ANA has a family account where points can be pooled. So infrequent flyers will not see their points go up in smoke.

Coupled with their decent Y offering (not that it matters to most who have never seen much of the back), I was lucky to get a bulkhead seating as I had my tickets issued in Jul. (No amount of luck would have gotten a KF Blue a bulkhead then, although lately, USD50 will buy me more than the luck needed)

Service is good, very close to SQ's. Plus their departure timing, connecting flight timing and arrival for both ways is pretty good. NRT is nice.

I paid $2200+ while SQ was already asking for $3100 at the time of booking.

But I think ANA has cottoned onto SQ's surcharge alchemy and their tickets are now kind of ex but there time you can catch them at a decent price.

For future flights to both sides of the US, I'd opt for ANA anytime if SQ's decides on insane pricing and for movie buffs like me, KrisWorld does not matter, I'd have seen all that is on offer.

But SQ in J & F as I have found out is another matter altogether. Residing in SQ's home base makes it difficult to pick something else.

Comment

• Hi guys & gals, i have been an avid reader of the forum since 2008, and this is my first post. I am stuck with a dilemma of sorts. Since Jul 08 i have been a KF Gold member, i dont pay for J class but use my miles to regularly upgrade. My dilemma is as follows, currently i have 29,752 elite miles, and i have two big US trips all on *A which according booking classes will earn me a total 46,397 miles in under two months. However i do not anticipate much travel towards end of 2009 or 2010 so qualifying for EGKF will be difficult. I like the gold status mostly for lounge access etc

I heard that Asiana Club requires 40k for *A gold and is valid for 2yrs instead of one. Would it be a wise move to bank all my upcomming miles to Asiana to reach gold or is there a better prorgam i should go. Also one more question, if i bank my miles say to asiana, can i still use my BP and EGKF card to enter lounges, even though my BP will have another FFP number

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

• Asiana requires 40k miles in 24 months. Status is valid for up to 48+1 months.

e.g. If you sign up in Mar 2009, and fly 40k before Apr 2011 you would have *A Gold status until end of Apr 2013.

Note, that you only need 20k miles for *A Silver.

You can access *A Gold lounges without any *A Gold irrelevant of what is on the boarding pass. Note, that the SilverKris lounges in Singapore, are not *A and only available to KF Elite Gold.

Comment

• Thanks for your prompt reply, so as i understand it, i can still gain access to *A lounges using my KF Gold card while my miles are reflected on my BP as asiana club.

I was wondering what other members would do in my situation, would they stay with KF or switch programs. I still will fly SQ on 90% of occasion when i fly

Comment

• Originally posted by yektam44 View Post
                        I was wondering what other members would do in my situation, would they stay with KF or switch programs. I still will fly SQ on 90% of occasion when i fly
                        Depends partly on where your miles come from (e.g., do you have KrisFlyer-affiliated credit cards?), and how you would prefer to use your miles (e.g., redemptions mainly on SQ within SE Asia?). You'll need to look at what each program gives or requires along those dimensions as well; what it takes to maintain *G status is only one of the considerations.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by yektam44 View Post
                          Thanks for your prompt reply, so as i understand it, i can still gain access to *A lounges using my KF Gold card while my miles are reflected on my BP as asiana club.
                          You can indeed. It's your current status that dictates whether you have lounge access at that time, where you are putting miles for that flight is irrelevant.

Welcome to SQTalk!

Comment

• Thanks heaps for the response, my strategy, is to achieve another 21k elite miles on KF to retain *Gold status for 2009-2010 in April. From there on i will use Asiana club to reach 40K

Comment

• Being based in Singapore, you could also consider Thai Airways - they are also two years once you're *G and additionally you'd get some upgrade vouchers and you would have the option to transfer mileage across from some local credit cards to TG if you wanted to.

You could also transfer them to KF for redemptions which would be the same rate anyway as a KFEG.

Comment

• Hi everyone,

I am a first-time poster but I have visited SQTalk a number of times in the past - always a great source of information! I have read the 13 pages of this thread but did not find an answer to my questions.

I am currently planning travel commencing in mid-November however I am trying to decide which FFP to join. Up to now, I have always credited to my Air New Zealand Airpoints account, however NZ seems rather stingy with Airpoint allocation if one is flying a *A partner rather than NZ themselves.

I live in New Zealand and am looking at flying in Y primarily with SQ however might travel in J depending on how soon it would take me to attain *G status.

What I am looking for out of a FFP is attaining *G status (I am not concerned about SWUs or best FFPs for spending miles)

> I see that *G with AC only takes 35000 miles however I noticed that on the Aeroplan website it also stated 40 flight sectors. Would I have to meet both criteria or just one?

>Asiana seems very good with *G at 40000 but is that only after attaining *S?
                                (So 20000 + 40000 = 60000 total OR Just 20000 + 20000 = 40000 total?)

Are there any other FFPs which are better suited to me (generally Y class travel and wanting *G status for lounges, check-in etc) ?

I really appreciate any of your insights into this!

Thanks,

NZ1

Comment

Working...
                                X