AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur to Manado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur to Manado

Around a month ago, I stumbled across the chance to join Mum and Dad for a trip to Manado. *crickets* Yes, I know. Manado, kinda underwhelming isn't it?

Its probably nowhere near as exciting as Melbourne nor as relaxing as Bali, but hold on. This is probably far off the beaten track compared to most destinations we've seen in SQTalk so far. Who knows? It might just be a pearl amongst oysters.

(narration and presentation style courtesy of Jeremy Clarkson )
    You rock Jezza!
    Last edited by s7r0ng3r; 15 June 2009, 02:46 PM.

Prep and Go!

16 June

A wake up feeling optimistic about the journey ahead. After a quick breakfast, I double-check my luggage, and receive an SMS regarding a rescheduling of my flight to an hour later. I continue to pass the day like any other and around 1 o'clock, have my lunch and await the cab.
    The cab arrives on time and we proceed to the airport.

As we arrive, I get busy with the luggage (everyone's). As we checked in, I noticed I had been placed far (21E as compared to 7A which I chose) away from my group.

"Excuse me miss. Umm, when I booked my flight a month ago, I distinctly remember choosing seat 7A."

"I'm sorry sir, but it seems the seat you chose has been taken up by a member of you group"

"Really? Then can you place me somewhere closer to my group? Maybe row 8 or something?"

"Of course"

"There you go sir, enjoy your flight"

"Thank you"

I check my reissued ticket and got a huge surprise. Seat 5A, much closer to my group than before. With all that settled, we proceed to the waiting lounge.

As we await our flight, I catch a glimpse of 9M-AHF, still sporting the Kuala Lumpur - Singapore sticker, 9M-AFW, looking very odd with its rojak AT&T Williams/Alex Yoong's helmet livery and, best of all, 9M-XAA aka "Semangat Sir Freddie".
    Last edited by s7r0ng3r; 22 June 2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Spread My Wings And Fly Away...

AirAsia AK432
      KUL-MDC
      9M-AFY

I board the plane in good spirits and settle in seat 5A. With this trip report fresh in my mind, I take my first SQFG™ Leg Shot. We entered runway 32R and took off into the Malaysian skies. We immediately banked left, giving us a good view of KLIA and Port Dickson.

The flight passed rather uneventfully, so I retired to my iPod. Around an hour into the flight, I got myself a pack of sandwiches. I was more than halfway through when I realized I had forgotten to take a picture (silly me).

Around an hour later, I realized we had made landfall in Borneo. It was really nice to see the rivers surrounded by lush rain forest instead of human settlement. As it got dark, I began to wonder where we were; Had we crossed the Sulu Sea or were we still over Borneo?
      As I listened to Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme", my question was answered. We were flying right over the city of Samarinda, which meant we were just about to cross the Sulu Sea.

Around half an hour later, the captain announced our descent into Manado. As we descended from cruising altitude, we flew a few rounds above Manado, giving us a great view of the city and (what I presumed) were mountains. We touched down at 8.45p.m. and as soon as we got off the plane, we were in for a bit of a shock.

You see, for some reason or another, the authorities decided that there was ample space for passengers to fill up the medical forms. In the hallway. Safe to say, many of us were wondering why weren't we given these in the plane? No answer. Oh great.
      We decided it was best to best pick up our luggage as quickly as possible. However, by the time our customs officer (probably the slowest in the world) was done with us, other members of our group had already collected our luggage for us. We were then whisked away to our hotel, The Gran Central, Manado. I must say, pretty good hotel. Big beds, complimentary beverage, food was decent. We immediately settled in for a kip.

[Unfortunately, I won't be able to post any pictures from this vacation because the photos seem to have disappeared. Sorry to disappoint.]
      Last edited by s7r0ng3r; 25 June 2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Although the city of Manado is not all that, I think you'll find the surround area at least equal to Bali or Melbourne and far cooler in OTBT value.

Comment

My sister goes there a couple of times a year, and she says it's super - and she's glad whole hordes of turistas haven't come to ruin it yet. Tempted to go really - so eagerly waiting for this TR

Comment

Originally posted by s7r0ng3r View Post
            Around a month ago, I stumbled across the chance to join Mum and Dad for a trip to Manado. *crickets* Yes, I know. Manado, kinda underwhelming isn't it?

Its probably nowhere near as exciting as Melbourne nor as relaxing as Bali, but hold on. This is probably far off the beaten track compared to most destinations we've seen in SQTalk so far. Who knows? It might just be a pearl amongst oysters.

(narration and presentation style courtesy of Jeremy Clarkson )
            You rock Jezza!
            Manado is hardly off the beaten track. Many SEA-based divers go to Manado (or more specifically Bunaken) and if MI flies to it, it can't be that ulu. Personally, I reckon Manado's a more chilled out place for diving and preferable than say Bali. Like Dahab vs Sharm.

As for putting Melbourne in the same sentence as "exciting"...

Comment

Nice TR. When I think of Manado, I think of that yummy smoked tuna smothered in green peppers!
              Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                Nice TR. When I think of Manado, I think of that yummy smoked tuna smothered in green peppers!
                Sounds delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
                  Manado is hardly off the beaten track. Many SEA-based divers go to Manado (or more specifically Bunaken) and if MI flies to it, it can't be that ulu. Personally, I reckon Manado's a more chilled out place for diving and preferable than say Bali. Like Dahab vs Sharm.

As for putting Melbourne in the same sentence as "exciting"...
                  Off the beaten track is comparative, isn't?

So compared to Melbourne or Bali, you would have to say Manado is certainly otbt.

Comment

Working...
                  X