HKG SKL Reopen after Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
    I went on monday, and at least there are toilets inside !! it sure beats the regular toilets and so inconvenient to have had to take your luggage with you to go to the toilet and go back inside....
    oh thanks very much for checking that out. Any chance toilets come with shower? I have been using the TG lounge to shower and rest, esp after long inbounds from US and Canada, tho the queues can be long sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
      oh thanks very much for checking that out. Any chance toilets come with shower? I have been using the TG lounge to shower and rest, esp after long inbounds from US and Canada, tho the queues can be long sometimes.
      Yes they have showers too ! i didn't check it out, but I was offered the use of it, but since I was only popping in for breakfast and going to the gate, i didn't check the showers out. Its separate from the toilet facilities.

Comment

Ah, that's great to know thanks for that info

Comment

In the lounge now. The bench seats in the food area are upholstered in lightly coloured fabric and already well stained by food and heavy use. Seriously, did the IDs bother thinking about this??

Comment

[HKG] SQ SilverKris Lounge in Hong Kong

SQ has 7 flights a day to Hong Kong, including SQ1/2, which stops in HKG enroute to SFO.

With all this traffic going through Hong Kong, does this lounge live up to passenger's expectations of SQ? How does the SilverKris Lounge compare with other lounges there? HKG is Cathay Pacific's home base, and CX has several superb lounges there. The QF Lounge in HKG is impressive as well.

SQ has recently remodelled the HKG SilverKris Lounge. While it occupies the same windowless space as before, the interior has been completely redesigned, and new features added, including a full service bar, and shower / bathroom facilities.

One of the first things a visitor to the lounge sees is the new full service bar.

The drinks menu in July.

The lounge has spacious seating areas styled based on SQ's latest lounge theme.

Self-contained work/lounging stations towards the back of the lounge seating area.

Comment

There is a self service F&B buffet area with hot and cold selections.

I visited the lounge on two occasions, in late May and early July this year. For my July visit, I visited the lounge just as they were changing from the breakfast menu to the lunch menu, and so managed to snap pics of both meal services.

Some of the breakfast selections...

Beef congee with traditional condiments...

Stir-fried noodles...

Chee Cheong Fun...

Siew Mai...

Lotus leaf rice...

Sausages and scrambled eggs...

There were pastry items for breakfast, and they were just refilling the warmers with quiche as a daytime snack...

Catering change-over to the lunch menu...

Two soups, one Asian and one western...

Comment

A nice selection of mains, including stir-fried chicken...

Winter melon and steamed rice...

Stir-fried greens...

Fusili pasta with mushrooms...

Salads and desserts...

For those who miss their NS night snack days, they also had red bean soup with coconut milk as the Asian dessert selection...

There is also a small freezer stacked full of Haagen Daz...

I found this to be quite an impressive F&B selection.
                Last edited by yflyer; 10 July 2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

There are now also bathroom and shower facilities in the lounge. There aren't many showers, though, so if you have limited time, head for the showers early.

Comment

Overall impressions?

On the positive side, I found the F&B to be very good, and the fact that they now have bathrooms/showers to be a big plus.

In terms of seating and lounging, this is decent, and the lounge did not fill up when I was there, so it was quite comfortable. The decor is very much the latest SQ house style for the lounge, and whether that appeals to you is very much a matter of personal taste.

The fact that it was a windowless room still meant that I much preferred walking around outside the airy terminal, rather than spend too much time sitting in the lounge.

How does it compare with the competition in HKG? Well, competition in HKG is fierce. So while the SQ lounge is a perfectly decent lounge overall, with very good catering, it is to some extent shown up by the competition. The CX lounges remain superb. No contest there. The difference is night and day in CX's favour. I also prefer the QF lounge. Even the UA/Star Alliance lounge at the other end of the terminal has a more open and airy feel, although F&B options in the UA lounge are quite limited.

All that said, if you need a quick pit stop in transit on SQ1/2, or need to grab a quick bite or a drink before your flight, then the SQ lounge is fine.

I for one normally just go in for a few minutes for a drink or snack, maybe to use the bathroom/shower, then head outside again where the terminal itself has a lot more to see and do than in the lounge.

Comment

Great effort for the lounge introduction as always Mr Yflyer! I believe you have visited the MNL SKL too, HKG vs MNL, both with the newly renovated Home away from Home concept, with MNL fare always higher than HKG yet how come the MNL SKL is miles apart with it's pathetic food and drinks catering and amenities. SQ really allocate their operating budget base on how much they value the station even if it is a low yielding one!

Comment

Thanks for trip repot yflyer. Great photos

In HK SKL I like the wanton noodles which you can order outside of the buffet spread - recommended

Comment

Never liked this place, it's another grim windowless box. Yes it's better since the refurb but it needs moving not refurbing.

When TG's lounge puts yours to shame you know it needs looking at...

Comment

The F section feels claustrophobic and the dining area way too dark. At least it's quiet. I prefer the old interior design with the warm Colours and lighting. If the J section is quiet I prefer to sit there.
                            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                              Great effort for the lounge introduction as always Mr Yflyer! I believe you have visited the MNL SKL too, HKG vs MNL, both with the newly renovated Home away from Home concept, with MNL fare always higher than HKG yet how come the MNL SKL is miles apart with it's pathetic food and drinks catering and amenities. SQ really allocate their operating budget base on how much they value the station even if it is a low yielding one!
                              Thanks, Tonitan! I haven't been to the new MNL SKL yet -- it still hadn't yet opened. The last time I was there, I ate at Jollibee's in the landside area instead. Jollibee's is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                                Thanks for trip repot yflyer. Great photos

In HK SKL I like the wanton noodles which you can order outside of the buffet spread - recommended
                                Thanks, alian! I didn't know you could order wanton noodles in the lounge. Will try that next time! That said, there is a great HK noodle and congee joint in the food court in the airside area. That's where I usually go for a noodle and congee fix when I am there!

Comment

Working...
                                X