Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changi joining the liquids and gels restrictions !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi joining the liquids and gels restrictions !

Within 2 months they will allegedly introduce similar restriction to the ones the UK and others started a few months ago.

100ml limit on each bottle up to a combined maximum of 1L in those fabulous clear zip lock bags.

Followed by Malaysia on 1st April.

Sad to hear that the liquid check hassle has finally reached Changi Airport.
    Last edited by StarG; 8 March 2007, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Ugh. That means loooong security lines for non-premium class and non-PPS members; I wonder if Changi's system of having the security checks right before the departure gates will cause the lines to be particularly annoying.

I guess the only hope I have is that most of the passengers would've been subjected to the liquid nonsense at the originating airport, and that ex-SIN travellers are compliant enough not to try to sneak in liquids and gels beyond the approved volume.

This is a blow against the joys of travel.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Does this mean that you will not be able to buy duty free booze at SIN any more as duty free is before the security check? Or will they just sell you 10 100ml bottles instead of 1 1l bottle

OK I know the answer is of course we will still be able to buy duty free as we all know that commerce comes before security and security comes before common sense.

Comment

Won't the dutyfree bags merely be the tamper-proof versions? On LX, they seal the bags for the pax who have to transit at ZRH. You're allowed to take them through security only if you haven't opened the bags. (The receipts go directly on the part of the bags with the adhesive, so if you try to open the bags, the receipts get partially ripped.)

Alternatively, I imagine Changi will deliver the dutyfree shopping at the aircraft doors, which would just mean that last-minute dutyfree shopping would be eliminated as an option.

Comment

I think it will change both SIN and KUL XRay requirements and may see them moved from the lounges to the head of each pier, for example and maybe more outlets along the pier (most of the current ones are pretty deserted. Particularly SIN where DF is such a big revenue generator, they will have to be innovative about this!

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, infoworks. Good to see you here.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, infoworks. I am glad to see you here.
                I hope the duty free is not gone. I hope the PPS discounts is there to stay. Those 10% - 15% discounts are the incentive for me to buy, I think. Again, may be the solution would be giving the 1L of champagne or wine at the airbridge. Or is it the end of an era "duty free shops" when flying?
                Again, after noticing the attitudes of the security guys and gals that are changing from the old courteous and friendly, yet professional way to the sour looked TSA-style, I am not that convinced that transferring or departing from Changi would be pleasant experience.

Comment

As of this weekend, the liquid/gels madness hadn't hit. It certainly saved me the time needed to re-pack said substances into the Ziploc bags I had with me.

P.S. to CGK for not believing me when I told him that exalted pax like him (premium / PPS passengers) had a shorter line to navigate. But a big to him for joining my line, rather than taking the easy route.

Comment

The cat's out...

Starting from 8th May, Changi will be imposing the LAGs restriction on all flights from SIN.

Comment

A friend who just came back from SIN reported that they delivered liquid purchases to the departure gate for you if you're currently traveling on a flight bound for certain places with LAG restrictions extending to inbound flights like Australia. The purchase must have been made at least 1 hour prior to departure, and they'd note your flight and seat numbers. You'd then collect the purchase post-security at your gate.

Presumably the same will apply to all pax when all of SIN develops LAG-phobia.

Said friend commented that it was grand walking around without the heavy bottles of liquor.

Would be great if they retained the delivery service even if the LAG restrictions are lifted at some stage.
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 April 2007, 11:31 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                        The cat's out...

Starting from 8th May, Changi will be imposing the LAGs restriction on all flights from SIN.
                        LAG? What's that?

Slight OT: Did any of you guys/gals have any trouble with roll-onboard (carry on) luggage ex UK or to UK?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          But a big to him for joining my line, rather than taking the easy route.
                          That's what friends are for.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                            That's what friends are for.
                            True! Would not leave my dear jjpb3 alone in the bee line!

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                              LAG? What's that?

Slight OT: Did any of you guys/gals have any trouble with roll-onboard (carry on) luggage ex UK or to UK?
                              LAG = liquids and gels.

No trouble ex-UK if you had only one piece, and that piece looked as though it could fit into the gauge. To the UK from SIN, I had no trouble with my two pieces (laptop plus carryon), even in Y.

KeithMEL: the restriction on flights to Australia has been reported on the SQ website for some time. It has caused some consternation for EU dutyfree operators, because it prevents passengers with dutyfree alcohol purchased at airports prior to SIN from carrying their purchases on board at SIN.
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 11 April 2007, 06:26 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

Working...
                              X