Interesting editing of in-flight movie "Death at a Funeral"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting editing of in-flight movie "Death at a Funeral"

Last December, I took SQ 001 in First SFO-(HKG)-SIN. Among the KrisWorld offerings was "Death at a Funeral," a movie I'd thought looked pretty funny from a preview or ad I had seen someplace. So I watched it. Three times. And on my SIN-BKK run two days later, Mr. Megatop and I watched it together. IIRC, I even watched it another time on my flight home in early January. It was that funny. One of the things that made it funny to my American ears was all of those proper English people cursing up a storm. It certainly didn't seem like SQ had edited anything out, not the colorful language anyway.

I ordered the DVD from Barnes & Noble online recently, and received it last week. Watched it probably four times in the ensuing four days. It's still that funny.

Anyway, in watching the DVD I realized that something had been edited out after all. When Robert, the son who is living in New York, arrives back in England, his family asks how the flight was. He replies: "Great. Great. There was a lot of turbulence, which was a bit worrying. But, I mean, I guess that's the thing about First Class. It doesn't matter how much you pay for the ticket, if the plane crashes, you're all gonna end up dead." Of course, his recently widowed mother breaks down and he realizes what a stupid thing to say it was.

Anyway, not hard to see why that was edited out. For other airlines too, no doubt. But funny to look back and think that I was sitting in First Class (having paid nothing but miles for it) the first time I saw the movie.

Not uncommon for such scenes for all airlines, e.g.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A96F948260

Comment

Working...
    X