Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messing around with MEL

This few days only it seems

Just for today A380's were scheduled on both SQ227/238 & SQ237/228, SQ217/218 stayed 77W.

They will be gone from 15 JAN on SIN-MEL, however there are rumours they might come back around June-July, I hope sooner

Comment

UPDATE: SQ will now go Double Daily A380 into MEL until 17 NOV, effective immediately.
      Last edited by MLflyer; 14 November 2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MLflyer View Post
        UPDATE: SQ will now go Double Daily A380 into MEL until 17 NOV, effective immediately.
        They should be adding capacity through out Dec. Tix on Y are booked out on all three flights!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_fanatic View Post
          They should be adding capacity through out Dec. Tix on Y are booked out on all three flights!
          That would require them to begin caring about the MEL market again. Over the Xmas break while they add capacity to BNE and PER they are actually reducing capacity to MEL. I'm not surprised that Y is full!

I suspect this current redeployment (the latest in a very long list) is due to SQ having a surplus A380 prior to the FRA/JFK change on Jan 15 combined with a shortage of 73As it would seem. SYE has been an awful getting a lot of use in the past week accoring to flight24. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been retrofitted. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            That would require them to begin caring about the MEL market again.
            At the expense of revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              That would require them to begin caring about the MEL market again. Over the Xmas break while they add capacity to BNE and PER they are actually reducing capacity to MEL. I'm not surprised that Y is full!

I suspect this current redeployment (the latest in a very long list) is due to SQ having a surplus A380 prior to the FRA/JFK change on Jan 15 combined with a shortage of 73As it would seem. SYE has been an awful getting a lot of use in the past week accoring to flight24. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been retrofitted. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
              Yes, SYE was used as SQ217/SQ218 on the 7th/8th November then used on SQ946/947 on the same day.. It hasn't been retrofitted... 18/49/265 config...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_fanatic View Post
                At the expense of revenue?
                ????

The cheapest Y seats out of Mel for the mid Dec to early Feb period is about 25% more expensive than they sell for any other time of the year, that is if you book months in advance.

Assuming you can get a Y seat now they sell for way over that price.

Late Jan they don't have any A380's at all on the Mel route and you cannot buy a seat for love of money.

Last year SIA increased capacity on the Mel route by adding an extra flight, Mel is continually treated like crap by SIA.

Now I'm not exactly sure where they would be making more revenue with their A380's over Mel busiest time of year, but I would certinly be interested in finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                  ????

The cheapest Y seats out of Mel for the mid Dec to early Feb period is about 25% more expensive than they sell for any other time of the year, that is if you book months in advance.

Assuming you can get a Y seat now they sell for way over that price.

Late Jan they don't have any A380's at all on the Mel route and you cannot buy a seat for love of money.

Last year SIA increased capacity on the Mel route by adding an extra flight, Mel is continually treated like crap by SIA.

Now I'm not exactly sure where they would be making more revenue with their A380's over Mel busiest time of year, but I would certinly be interested in finding out.
                  Spot on!

While Europe and the US are in economic gloom, and always seeming to be heading for worse, MEL is full of people ready with the cash to fly. We have high employment, our dollar is strong and we love to travel.

Pulling capacity of MEL has an even worse flow-on effect too. If we can't get to SIN, then we can't help fill empty seats on connecting flights heading to Europe, so SQ lose out twice in order to send an even bigger, emptier plane between FRA and JFK.

And this would be better for revenue how exactly?

Comment

I'm hearing EK going A380 on EK406/407 come March next year and possibly MH going A380 in 1-2 years also! So plenty of options guys, don't worry!

QF will always operate the A380 on MEL-SIN also, will go daily early next year.

Comment

Yep my next flights to Europe are going to be booked on Emirates as they will have the A380 flying to MEL/AKL in a few months!

"Worst case" you get a 777-300ER which has their latest product.

With SQ you could end up with anything.

Comment

Until EK fly A380 to Melbourne (or I lose a few kgs) I avoid them for their 10 abreast Y configuration on the 777. It's just too narrow.
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
                          Yep my next flights to Europe are going to be booked on Emirates as they will have the A380 flying to MEL/AKL in a few months!

"Worst case" you get a 777-300ER which has their latest product.

With SQ you could end up with anything.
                          Don't their 777W's only have angled lie flat in J? Only the 380 is fully flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesty View Post
                            Don't their 777W's only have angled lie flat in J? Only the 380 is fully flat.
                            true, it is angled in the 77W.
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

I'm hearing around that MH is planing to deploy the A380 to MEL as early as April 2012, nothing confirmed as yet. Would be an advantage over SQ if they do, would be excellent news for MEL pax who suffer's a lot!

Although I think more realistically the A380 would be on MEL some time after LHR is launched.

Comment

Working...
                              X