Has anyone read this book about SIA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone read this book about SIA?

Sometime before the end of this year, I plan on purchasing the following book:

Flying High in a Competitive Industry: Secrets of the World's Leading Airline
    written by Loizos Heracleous, Jochen Wirtz, and Nitin Pangarkar

Based on the synopsis, the book is mainly about the success of SIA and how it became the world's leading airline. It is categorized as a business/economics book since it goes into detail about some key secrets of SIA success including it's cost-efficiency and how it manages people. It even goes into detail about the SIA cabin crew recruitment process and how it helped the airline.

As an SQ fan, I would be delighted to know more behind the SIA story and so therefore I'm considering this very interesting read. I am just wondering if there are any fellow SQTalkers here who have read the book and could give recommendations, advice, perhaps even a short book review on it.

Web Links

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Flying-High-Co.../dp/0071281967

Kinokuniya Singapore:
    https://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/gue...%74%73&AREA=04
    Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Looks interesting. I just wish I could read!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      I just wish I could read!
      Are you playing sarcasm with me again?
      Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

I didn't really find the book insightful.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

The book's average reading, basically compiling stuff we already know with some explanations. If you really want to understand the industry have a look at "The Airline Business - Rigas Doganis".

Comment

If there is one book that shaped my adoration for air travel it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Blue-Ho...5520455&sr=8-2

Read it when it was first published in the 1980s and things have never been the same...

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I didn't really find the book insightful.
              Any particular reason why you think it isn't insightful? Is the book too broad and does not delve deep into topics and concepts?

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              The book's average reading, basically compiling stuff we already know with some explanations. If you really want to understand the industry have a look at "The Airline Business - Rigas Doganis".
              Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              If there is one book that shaped my adoration for air travel it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Blue-Ho...5520455&sr=8-2

Read it when it was first published in the 1980s and things have never been the same...
              Nick C and milehighj, thanks for giving me some additional book recommendations Although, I must say that at the moment, I am more interested in how SIA plays a role in the airline industry rather than how the airline industry works. In other words, I would like to know more about SIA because even though you said "stuff we already know", I have a feeling that there are some things about SIA I still do not know yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
                Any particular reason why you think it isn't insightful? Is the book too broad and does not delve deep into topics and concepts?
                ... Although, I must say that at the moment, I am more interested in how SIA plays a role in the airline industry rather than how the airline industry works. In other words, I would like to know more about SIA because even though you said "stuff we already know", I have a feeling that there are some things about SIA I still do not know yet.
                As Nick C said, anyone who has followed the SIA story would have come to the same conclusions as the book. No new insights, e.g., how was it possible for SQ to defy, profitably, prevailing wisdom about service offerings; in what ways were the choices that SQ made then, less available to airlines now; to what extent the choices made early on created a non-replicable self-sustaining system; and other questions a serious business student would ask. Without insights like those, it's more challenging to form a non-run-of-the-milll hypothesis about 'how SIA plays a role in the airline industry'. It's an important question that deserves more insights than the book provides.

If you need some catching up on SQ, though, the book might be a good compendium of conventional wisdom. For that purpose, the book may be useful.

P.S. It may very well be, that I've just misread the book. I took only one pass at it before putting it down.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  If you need some catching up on SQ, though, the book might be a good compendium of conventional wisdom. For that purpose, the book may be useful.
                  Definitely! Deep or shallow in context, any book about the Singapore Airlines story would definitely strengthen my knowledge about my favorite airline. That way, I can engage in discussions (outside of SQTalk) about SQ and have plenty of evidence and information in supporting my point of SQ being, in my personal opinion, the best airline in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
                    Definitely! Deep or shallow in context, any book about the Singapore Airlines story would definitely strengthen my knowledge about my favorite airline. That way, I can engage in discussions (outside of SQTalk) about SQ and have plenty of evidence and information in supporting my point of SQ being, in my personal opinion, the best airline in the world.
                    Strengthening your knowledge about SQ is not about reading material that is PRO SQ. You need to strike a balance. You need to understand the dynamics of the airline industry, knowing only about SQ will not help at all. You need to know the competition. This applies to all industries. Know your competitor!

This recent article from the HBR summarizes what is in the book.

Comment

You need to understand the dynamics of the airline industry, knowing only about SQ will not help at all. You need to know the competition. This applies to all industries. Know your competitor!

I guess you are right. I shall take your advice and ensure that I get some idea of the workings of the airline industry on top of what I know about SQ to be able to see the bigger picture.

Oh, and thanks for sharing the link!

Comment

Thanks for sharing the article

Comment

Working...
                        X