No announcement yet.

My end of year almost-RTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To give context to this bit of the trippie, read my rant about Suvarnabhumi here.

The sign that confused me to no end!!

There was nobody around to give directions. Only a TG sign that indicated the way to transfer to a domestic flight. I found out from a departure board that the LH flight is departing from the E gates, so I walked towards the general direction of the E gates thinking that the transfer counters for LH must be in the same area. Wrong - the LH transfer counters were at the very other end of the terminal where the signboards indicated for domestic transfers... humph :S

Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 December 2006, 04:55 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

In an ironic twist to my sprint around Suvarnabhumi, TG981 operating to MEL was boarding right next to the LH flight. How I wish they disembarked TG982 at around the same area...

While waiting to check in, I noticed that the *A transfer counters are split up at both ends of the terminal - so much for an integrated *A hub...:S

Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 December 2006, 04:55 AM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMELThe sign that confused me to no end!! :cussing:
        [URL=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/QF009/USA-UK%20dec%2006/USAandUK-dec2006051.jpg
        [/URL]
        Gotta love that sign. Confused the hell out of me too when I went through Don Muang. Inefficiency at its best!

Comment

LH773, BKK-FRA, First Class
          Seat: 81H
          Aircraft: B747-400
          ETD: 2355

Boarding at gate E2 was a dog's breakfast. I made it to the gate about 5 minutes before the boarding call. No priority boarding, and everyone had to squeeze through a tiny doorway.

Unlike other airlines, LH's F cabin is on the upper deck of the 744. I'd selected seat 83C initially, which is the aisle seat on the emex row, but changed to row 81H (and 84C for the return), aisle seats of the first and last rows respectively, upon advice from seasoned LH F flyers, both our own SQflyergirl and sentom from the LH board of TOF. And very glad that I did the switch. LH's F gives you 92" of pitch - which is more than adequate for anyone, let alone a tiny person like me with all of 5 feet and 5 inches. The emex row not only lacks privacy due to a large open space in front of the seats, but there also seems to be a serving cart permanently located in front of the HK seats. The seats aren't your latest state of the art pods ala SQ or QF, but more importantly, they are lie-flat and extremely comfy. Despite not having side storage space for the fluffy pillow when I didn't need it, I later discovered that there was a huge storage space behind the seat.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 December 2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I was served by a very amiable FA (full of smiles unlike the FAs on TG!) who introduced himself as soon as I took my seat. I had a Merlot for my pre-departure drink. The La Prairie amenity kits, PJs of a brand of which I can't recall (a nifty looking polo top and PJ bottoms - the latter being a new introduction I suspect), and a pack containing eyeshades and inflight socks were given out. Each seat was lovingly adorned with a rose - nice touch! Mine sadly did not survive the flight and had to be tearfully replaced at brekkies.

The meal service soon began after a timely take off with the making of my table and the distribution of the dinner menu and beverage list. I was asked as to my choice of a drink accompanying the meal and I opted for a glass of Silvana as I remember enjoying it very much the last time I tasted it yonks ago and it's since proven to be an extremely elusive beverage to track down. Generous top ups automatically occurred without my asking, along with constant reminders that the other wines were also great and I should give each one of them at least a try before the flight ends.

See here for menu.

A pre-meal snack that wasn't listed on the menu was served. Prawn and other bits and pieces. For my appetisers, I had both the caviar (mmmm!) and the tenderloin of beef. I dug into the very interesting looking ostrich meal for my main course, as I've never eaten ostrich. It was rather tender and tasted like chicken, and above all - yum! And finally, cheesecake for dessert. It was about 2 hours after departure at that point, which means 6am AEST for my bodyclock. I was comatose at that stage and really needed sleep. Decided to give up the cheese (sob!) and change into my PJs for some rest. Returned to my seat to find that the blanket was already placed on my seat. I was tucked into bed by the FA after he saw me turning my seat into the 180 degree position!
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 December 2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

To be continued...

Comment

Yum...ostrich. Keep it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  LH773, BKK-FRA, First Class
                  Seat: 81H
                  Aircraft: B747-400
                  ..., but changed to row 81H (and 84C for the return), aisle seats of the first and last rows respectively, ..., I later discovered that there was a huge storage space behind the seat.
                  Now, I am getting confused about huge storage behind the seat. I noticed that some pax stored bags behind the seats. Buut you need those space for the seat back to lie-flat!

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                    Now, I am getting confused about huge storage behind the seat. I noticed that some pax stored bags behind the seats. Buut you need those space for the seat back to lie-flat!
                    Well so long as the stuff you put there don't prevent the seat from being totally flat I guess. I still stored bags in the overhead lockers, just didn't know what to do with the pillow as it took up a fair bit of space when I was sitting up and there wasn't space left in the overheads.

Comment

Well, for the seat to be really flat, the stuff you store there must be something very thin. Why don't you report back from your next flight on LH F?

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                        Well, for the seat to be really flat, the stuff you store there must be something very thin.
                        Hmm, will see if it fits my bag as well next time. But like I said I only stored my pillow in that space, and when the seat was in an upright position.

Comment

I slept solidly for almost the rest of the flight and woke up just as the breakfast service was beginning. The FA immediately rushed over with a brekkies menu when he noticed that I was awake, and gave me a glass of OJ. A wide range of hot beverages. I decided to 'test' the LH service to see if it'd really deliver - strong, soy, latte with 2 sugars and a sprinkling of choc powder on the froth, and it did! They actually carried soy milk onboard in anticipation of such requests - bless them I thought. It then later occurred to me that they might be catering for people who're lactose intolerant...oh well.The rest of the breakfast went by quite pleasantly and I finally got to chat with my seatmate, a physicist who was addressed by the crew as 'Dr Claus.'

Please see previous menu link for the brekkies menu. I love German-style muesli!

Soon enough, we smoothly landed in the dark at FRA. with 8 hours to check out the FCLs before my next flight to ORD on AA. I can't wait for my next flight on LH F already!

Next: Transfer at FRA
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 December 2006, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I'm impressed at LH's service. I couldn't even get the SQ stewardess to properly understand "iced mint tea".

BTW, is it just me, my monitor, KeithMEL's camera, or the food, but are the eggs and OJ just too "bright and colorful" (like LH dropped in too much food coloring)?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              upon advice from seasoned LH F flyers, both our own SQflyergirl
                              I am no LH F expert, and learnt all the tricks from our very own CGK ... he's the real mccoy

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                                I'm impressed at LH's service. I couldn't even get the SQ stewardess to properly understand "iced mint tea".

BTW, is it just me, my monitor, KeithMEL's camera, or the food, but are the eggs and OJ just too "bright and colorful" (like LH dropped in too much food coloring)?
                                Don't know about iced mint tea but they made a great iced cuppacinno when I was lucky enough to fly on SQ Raffles Class.

Maybe it's just you.

Comment

Working...
                                X