• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIE Guide 1.0

Hi!
    http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/newthre...newthread&f=29
    SQTalk - Post New Thread
    As some of you will be coming to Vienna in September, I finally found some motivation for setting up a VIE guide. Some VIE regulars might help me out if I leave something out (looking at hon2).

The Airport
    Vienna currently has 3 terminals. Terminal 1 and 2 are connected to each other and basically count as one terminal. Terminal 1A is a temporary LCC terminal handling check-in etc. for Niki, SkyEurope and other Low Cost Carriers.

Arriving
    If you arrive from a Schengen-Area flight, you will arrive at the B (bus) or C (pier west airbridges) gates. Flights from non-Schengen countries arrive at the A gates (pier east).

So given you arrive from a Schengen country and arrive at the C gates on an airbridge, it's rather easy to get out of the airport. Just head out of the airbridge and you'll see a round hall with a funny looking monument (it should be somewhere in my FRA picures -> trip reports). Head for the only corridor that takes you out of the hall and follow it. You'll pass some shops and get a good view of the apron on your right. Stay right and watch out for the 'baggage claim' sign. Take the escalators down and proceed following the corridor that takes you to the baggage claim. Head for the 'nothing to declare' exit and you're in the arrival hall. This little stroll should take you about seven minutes.

In the arrival hall, there will be limousine drivers waiting for potential customers. If you want a simple ride to your hotel, take one of those ... the price to the city centre should be about 30-40 Euros. Rather expensive.

If you want to take the train (3,40 Euros including the metro to your hotel), go left. Follow the corridor till you see an escalator going down again. Take the stairs down (the escalator is going up!) and follow the corridor again till you get to a supermarket called 'BILLA' (red and yellow colors). Turn right and go straight ahead. You cannot miss the train.

When taking the train, there are two options:

- The regular train
    - The CAT (city-airport-train)

Go for the regular train: the CAT takes about 5 minutes less to the city centre but it costs you 8 Euros for a single ticket (I'm not sure about this but I figure it even does not include your city one-way metro ticket!) while the normal train ticket costs 3,40 Euros including the metro ticket.

So if you want to take the CAT, don't go down the first escalator to the plattforms but the second ones! The CAT is the green train! You cannot miss it.

If you want to take the normal train, take the first escalators you see down to the first plattform. There should be a ticket counter here - it should have an option to set the language to English. Get a ticket to "Landstraße". That's where you need to get out. The train to the city should depart from the right rails if you look away from where you came from. If the train is already there, just go for it without buying a ticket; there are ticket vendors inside the train ... probably a few cents more expensive but worth it if you don't want to wait. You might even end up paying nothing if the vendor doesn't show.

Take the train to Landstraße. That's the station where you can switch over to the metro. If you bought a train ticket for 3,40, the metro ticket is already included in your fare. At Landstraße, there are the U4 (green line) and the U3 (orange line) bringing you almost everywhere in Vienna.

Le Méridien, Bristol, Imperial, Grand Hotel, Sacher: take the U4 and go to Karlsplatz.
    Marriott, SAS Radisson: take the U3 to Stubentor.
    Hilton Plaza: directly near the Landstraße station.
    Ananas: U4 to Pilgramgasse

if you need directions to a hotel in VIE, just send me a PM and i'll get the best route for you.

*** This post isn't finished *** I'll update the text asap (currently at my WIN notebook and not my mac) *** I'll also provide pictures ***
    Home is where your heart is.

When I was there in April, the currency exchange places on the departure level were both shut. Only place to exchange money was at the baggage claim.

There is a free transfer bus between non-schengen A and non-schengen C. However, as non-schengen C is small, only allowed onboard the transfer bus within 90 minutes of departure. There is no lounge at non-schengen C, but there is both SEN and FTL/Business lounges at non-schengen A.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't really change money there. Be sure to have a few spare Euros prior to your arrival in VIE. The trolleys cost 2€ (well, they don't exactly cost you but you need a 2€ coin to operate them).

Comment

Unfortunately I'd run out of euros and needed some for the train into city.

Comment

An excellent guide from our Ambassador im Osterreich!

Comment

What also has to be added, sry if I jump the gun flo. If you arrive late at VIE, like 11PM+ local time, it might be better to take the CAT. Or you might wait several hours for the next train.

Comment

duh! petz playing the hero ...

... of course, what i forgot to say is that the last 'standard' regional train for Vienna leaves VIE at 11:15 PM or so. if you miss this one, the next one is at 3 AM or so. The last CAT is a bit later. petz and me were able to reach it at 11:30 PM with some spare minutes we waited till the train departed.
              Last edited by flo; 18 June 2008, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                duh! petz playing the hero ...

... of course, what i forgot to say is that the last 'standard' regional train for Vienna leaves VIE at 11:15 or so. if you miss this one, the next one is at 3 pm or so. The last CAT is a bit later. petz and me were able to reach it at 11:30 with some spare minutes we waited till the train departed.
                I'm confused. Is that am or pm? 4 hour wait or 16 hours (!).

Comment

aw bugger. AM of course see, i'm too tired to even notice

Comment

The CAT is really not worth the money, in my opinion it's better to take the airportdriver, www.airportdriver.com, where you can get a oneway ride for 30euros, and when you are a miles&more member 29Euros.
                    I'll have some time later on and then I will add the lounge information for VIE, as there are numerous possibilities.
                    You are not, who you are, you are who you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by hon2 View Post
                      I'll have some time later on and then I will add the lounge information for VIE, as there are numerous possibilities.
                      Numerous? I thought there was only half a dozen lounges at VIE?

Comment

I counted 10, will add the information later.
                        You are not, who you are, you are who you want to be.

Comment

Am planning my last night (might still be the night before on the 26th PM), but just in case, at the Hotel Sacher. Directions from the hotel to the International Terminal for an OS flight to Istanbul would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

get a cab and say airport.

nah, just walk across the street to the Karlsplatz subway station and get on the U4 (green) line to Landstraße.

There, go up the escalators. You are in the main hall now. Go left till you see a cigarettes store and escalators down behind it. Take the escalators down to the train station (Schnellbahn, blue) ... the train that arrives on the right tracks should take you to the Airport. There, just follow the signs.

You might as well want to get a train ticket to the airport. If you already paid for a subway ticket, go to the counter and ask for a ticket without the Vienna-zones. The ticket to the airport should cost about 1,30 Euros or so. (one way)

Comment

This might be a silly question - but are the trains to the airport so frequent? 10 minute-intervals maybe? (that's for Singapore anyway)

Comment

Working...
                              X