AMS - Dutch travel tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMS - Dutch travel tax

Next year the Dutch government's decision to impose a travel tax on passengers departing from Netherlands airports has stumbled across much resistance from the travel industry and consumer groups. The levy will incur a €11.25 tax for intra-European flights and €45 for intercontinental journeys. Transfer passengers are exempt from the travel-tax.

Text credit (C) Courtesy of IATA
    http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/2007-15-10-01.htm

.."Dutch ticket tax proposal is ineffective and inappropriate - breaches international obligations

Geneva—The International Air Transport Association (IATA) condemned the Dutch Government’s plans to impose further taxes on air passengers. The government is planning to tax passengers departing the Netherlands by air as much as €45 citing environmental reasons.

“This passenger tax is ineffective, inappropriate and it breaches international obligations. It is a thinly disguised tax grab that does nothing for the environment. If anything, it is counter productive as it limits airlines’ ability to buy newer, more fuel-efficient aircraft,” said Giovanni Bisignani, IATA Director General and CEO.

“Airlines are making great strides to improve their environmental performance. Last year we saved 6 million tonnes of CO2 by shortening 350 routes globally. We have improved fuel efficiency 70% over the past 40 years and forecast a further 25% improvement by 2020. The Dutch Government should be looking at what it can do to help airlines limit emissions. It can start by working with other EU governments to implement a Single European Sky that would save 12 million tonnes of CO2 each year. It should also look at tax credits as an incentive to improve environmental performance rather than counterproductive taxes,” added Bisignani.

The passenger tax also breaches resolutions of the International Civil Organisation (ICAO) and Article 15 of the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation. “I am surprised that the Netherlands, as an ICAO Contracting State, chooses to ignore its obligations and trample over international agreements,” Bisignani commented.

“We are seeing a worrying trend across Europe with governments cynically taxing air passengers for environmental reasons then failing to use the revenues for environmental purposes. These taxes are blunt instruments that just damage tourism and impact the competitiveness of European businesses. We urge the Dutch Government to rethink this ineffective, inappropriate and misguided proposal,” concluded Bisignani."...

Comment

When will this tax come into effect? And will it be implemented retrospectively?

I've ticketed my bookings which involve AMS for Jan 2008 but haven't been charged the new tax.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        When will this tax come into effect? And will it be implemented retrospectively?

I've ticketed my bookings which involve AMS for Jan 2008 but haven't been charged the new tax.
        The tax will come into effect in July 2008, BUT transfer passengers are exempt from this counterproductive tax.

Comment

Puha, so let me get it straight. So you will only be charged the Dutch tax if you have AMS as your final destination. ?

Comment

Originally posted by SQviper View Post
            Puha, so let me get it straight. So you will only be charged the Dutch tax if you have AMS as your final destination. ?
            No, you will be taxed if your point of origin is AMS or any other dutch airport.
            The government is planning to tax passengers departing the Netherlands by air as much as €45 citing environmental reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              No, you will be taxed if your point of origin is AMS or any other dutch airport.
              The government is planning to tax passengers departing the Netherlands by air as much as €45 citing environmental reasons.
              Okey. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

True, all tickets issued in the Netherlands out of Amsterdam will have this extra tax, there is no difference for full service or low cost airlines. The only flights exempt of this tax is for Cargo Flights and transit passengers. Most Dutch citizens are calling this "vlieg taks of vakantie belasting" = flight tax or holiday tax
                Any remarks or suggestions are kindly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X