Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any perspectives on the Costa Concordia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any perspectives on the Costa Concordia?

A bunch of people here have professional experience of some sort in the ship industry, either cargo operatiions, passenger vessels, or naval architecture/engineering. Would anyone care to offer their opinion of the incident and it's repercussions?

Q. How do you recognise the captain of the Costa Concordia?

A. By his cap size.

Comment

When the captain of the ill fated Costa Concordia was asked by the Coast Guard if he knew where he was going he replied, "Off course!"

Comment

I am not the foremost expert but I believed during sailing the Captain is the gentleman in charge and he is placed as the final decision maker and responsibility. You can't exactly make the excuse that he is pressurised by the office.

The damages are probably severe to cause the sinking as passenger vessels have very stringent requirements for stability even during damaged condition.

There are a lot of arguments on the number of passengers. Unfortunately, cruise passengers are not well versed in safety and a lot of times not very mobile.

The captain possibly causing the accident, may not be the best person to be in charge of evacuation as he may be affected emotionally by the incident he caused to do a calm and logical mustering of the officers and men during the accident (My opinion).

Perhaps Naval_Arch or kapitan may give a better analysis as they obviously have more experiences than I do.

Comment

Now they're starting to pay each survivor US$14,460 plus any medical costs. In addition, they're refunding the cost of the cruise to each passenger.

Comment

Another Costa vessel, the Costa Allegra, is having trouble at sea now. It's without power near the Seychelles. Those Wartsila 46's eh.........

Comment

Seems like they are the SMRT of the cruise industry.

Comment

No AC and no lights does not sound like a fun cruise. Conditions on that ship must be a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                X