Arrival Immigration Cards question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrival Immigration Cards question...

hey guys, did't really know where this question would fit in, but here goes...

my wife just got my citizenship. although in my opinion it doesn't matter where someone is from as we're all the same, this will make travelling for her MUCH easier, really glad this finally got through.

however, on these immigration cards they sometimes ask "have you ever entered XXX with another passport blabla" something like that. I think Japan does that for example, not sure anymore.

Is it a problem to just answer YES and tell them with which passport/nationality the person entered last time? or should one just answer NO? there must be something behind that question, but I'm not sure if this should be a problem...

any ideas?

Thanks!

I just tend to tick 'no', but interesting question... where travelling from / to, and what passport?

Comment

it's more like a general question....we tend to go to Japan every year and they are pretty strict on all the immigration stuff. you wouldn't believe what my wife had to go through every time we went to japan. these guys are really crazy. with the "new" nationality she gets 90 days just like me. since we live in Singapore now it would be SIN-TYO (whichever airport) or FUK.

but there are other countries who want to know the same thing...not sure about thailand, but I think they do.

Comment

Xerobasher, I think the question is something like "have you previously entered the country using a different name and passport". Even if you hadn't changed nationalities, with the life of a passport being 5 years nowadays, you would already have used a different passport.

So, unless the name has changed, the answer to this question is usually a NO.

I also think that many married women who change their names after marriage would also answer NO to this .

Comment

Originally posted by solitaire View Post
          I also think that many married women who change their names after marriage would also answer NO to this .
          They should be putting down the Yes answer to this question.

When you fill out an Australian visa form it ask the same question and makes a point about women who change names after marriage must answer yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
            They should be putting down the Yes answer to this question.

When you fill out an Australian visa form it ask the same question and makes a point about women who change names after marriage must answer yes.
            I agree, married women should be answering Yes but it is not a common practice unless it has been stated explicitly (like in the Australian form).

Comment

Originally posted by solitaire View Post
              Xerobasher, I think the question is something like "have you previously entered the country using a different name and passport". Even if you hadn't changed nationalities, with the life of a passport being 5 years nowadays, you would already have used a different passport.

So, unless the name has changed, the answer to this question is usually a NO.

I think solitaire is right. The reason behind this question is they may/need to check the record under other name also.

Personally, I question the effectiveness of that question. Those that really "crimal" will never answer "yes" anyway right. Those that answer yes will most likely have a clean record
              visit my blog

Comment

hmmm...that actually makes it even more interesting. we just got married 1.5 years ago and (japan example) the name thing would therefore definitely apply. since we go back in May I will probably go with "yes"...don't think the Japanese appreciate it if they're being cheated on.

at least it's a good excuse the "married" thing...

Comment

Never really noticed the Australian immigration card asking this question, criminal convictions - yes, travelled under another name - not so much...

I believe Singapore's asks have you have you travelled under a different name but not nationality...

Thailand's doesn't ask this question either, well if it does, I haven't paid attention to it.

I would think that as long as you have nothing to hide you will be fine, if you do, well you're more likely to end up on an episode of "Border Security" when attempting to enter Australia...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                    Never really noticed the Australian immigration card asking this question, criminal convictions - yes, travelled under another name - not so much.
                    It does not ask this question on the immigration cards, It is just on the visa form. Been checking the cards out to make sure.

Comment

If there's space on the form, I would write a few brief words of explanation when answering yes to such questions on the forms.

The questions I recall are all about entering under a different name, not a different citizenship.

Comment

Working...
                      X