No announcement yet.

California Here We Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only do Pacific Highway 1 from Ventura/LAX not San Diego upwards to Monterey. Beware as sometimes the highway falls into the sea and you'll have a +3 hours reroute inland. Happened to us a few years ago, plans for Big Sur and Monterey were severely affected time-wise.

Comment

Day 2 - evening drive San Diego - Santa Clarita:
      This will put you into the legendary rush hour traffic of LA, from South to North. Plan for about 24 hours for this journey...

Comment

Looks like you don't have time for Yosemite - this is my favourite national park, very inspiring. But the kids and the mrs may roll their eyes.

The SF-LA drive on i5 is the fastest but as you know quite boring. If you can make time, try the coastal 101 instead; the view is beautiful. It'll also conveniently pass by an outlet near Santa Barbara if memory serves me right.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          I have checked and could not find cheaper fares from SJC to LAX.
          I can still see USD73 one way fares on Southwest.com for many dates in July, although some days (e.g. 4th of July weekend) they go up to USD120 or USD140.

Yes, it will be plenty of driving on Day 7, done that before with LA to Vegas, SIN to Penang (in a Day), Brisbane to Melbourne... ...
          Wow...you sure enjoy driving! I have friends like that too (One good friend is known to drive to KL for lunch then head back to SG...). On the other hand, I complain when I need to drive from Bedok to Tuas.

Comment

I was going to comment on this earlier, but you and I had already talked...

Day 1 Arrive LAX, pick up car, drive to San Diego 1 night
            Do you have any Avios? Redeeming for LAX-SAN after a longhaul could be one of the best redemptions you'll ever make.

Day 5 Morning drive towards San Jose, outlet mall
            You will hit the Gilroy Outlets before you get to San Jose. Personally, the ones in LA are MUCH better. People in the Bay Area love to dress (and not shower) like they're homeless.

I may not go to Muir Woods as I will be taking the Big Sur route, which I believe would pass through some Redwood forest....
            Nope. That's much further North.

You will, however, go by Hearst Castle -- which is a site to see. Big Sur and Carmel also rock.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Beware as sometimes the highway falls into the sea and you'll have a +3 hours reroute inland. Happened to us a few years ago, plans for Big Sur and Monterey were severely affected time-wise.
            That was a one-off back in 2011 and won't happen because of our drought (thanks, China ).

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            Day 2 - evening drive San Diego - Santa Clarita:
            This will put you into the legendary rush hour traffic of LA, from South to North. Plan for about 24 hours for this journey...
            At least!

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            The SF-LA drive on i5 is the fastest but as you know quite boring. If you can make time, try the coastal 101 instead; the view is beautiful. It'll also conveniently pass by an outlet near Santa Barbara if memory serves me right.
            Taking the 5 will shave off 2+ hours.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              People in the Bay Area love to dress (and not shower) like they're homeless.

Comment

Hello boys and girls...... I am on the trip..... arrived LAX yesterday evening at 1700.... picked up the car and arrived San Diego at 10pm.....picked up the daughter and today's drive from San Diego to Valencia was not so bad.... a little traffic near LA...... tomorrow will be Six Flag Magic Mountain.... ������
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Hello boys and girls...... I am on the trip..... arrived LAX yesterday evening at 1700.... picked up the car and arrived San Diego at 10pm.....picked up the daughter and today's drive from San Diego to Valencia was not so bad.... a little traffic near LA...... tomorrow will be Six Flag Magic Mountain.... ������
                  Cool! Keep the live updates coming!

Comment

hopefully not too late. Enjoy Six Flags - get there early when it opens and hit the bigger rides first as the lines will be much shorter then. Love the X2 ride!

Comment

What a tiring day spent at Six Flags.... went in at opening and out at 1930..... had to skip a 2 of the big rides end of day as was really too tired..... now for some rest for the long drive tomorrow ......

Comment

Trip is over, some minor changes to original plan but generally as planned.

Let me sit down consolidate my pictures and later put up a Trip Report ....

Thanks for the all the great replies and suggestions.... and if anyone planning such a trip and needed answers, please feel free to contact me...

Comment

Working...
                        X