No announcement yet.

World's Longest Commercial Flight: SIN-EWR-SIN on SQ's A345

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for another nice pictorial write-up, 9V-SIA.
    Looking forward to the next part...

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      I believe you have it the wrong way around. I have bigger legs, nicer appetite, and a healthier camera.
      Too modest.

Originally posted by aviwil View Post
      Thanks 9V-SIA . Really enjoyed the flight progress maps - especially on a flight like this .
      Glad you are enjoying TR

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
      Thanks for your efforts, a good read.
      Welcome

Originally posted by StarG View Post
      Thanks for another nice pictorial write-up, 9V-SIA.
      Looking forward to the next part...
      Thanks StarG
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 25 June 2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I noticed Satay is not offered for lunch in your menu. Are there satays coming up for dinner?

And the lobster thermidor now really is small and pathetic. Do you think so too as compared to the past?

Really excellent trip report, it is much more detailed than I expected. I share the excitement as you right from the start as you go up the ramp towards Changi Airport Terminal 3 Departure Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
          I noticed Satay is not offered for lunch in your menu. Are there satays coming up for dinner?
          Satay on SQ22 is served only at dinner.

Comment

Very enjoyable report! Thanks.

Comment

Great TR - loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post

And the lobster thermidor now really is small and pathetic. Do you think so too as compared to the past?
                Does this look better?

I don't have a big appetite. It was enough for me. But I appreciate it might not be adequate for Kyo-like appetites.

Originally posted by hsf View Post
                Very enjoyable report! Thanks.
                Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Great TR - loved it!
                Thanks

Comment

Great effort man!

Comment

Your report has just made me excited for my trip next week onboard the same flight!

Comment

Thanks for the very nice, very inspirative, very informative, very enjoyable, and very enlightment TR.....
                      I've renewed my "9V-SIA fan membership" for another year....
                      Great, great, great report, Sir!!!

Comment

Nice report thanks! wish i could take this flight some day
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                          Great effort man!
                          Originally posted by singapore_boy
                          Great report there.
                          Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          Nice report thanks! wish i could take this flight some day
                          Thanks. Appreciated. There's a lot of work in my TRs!

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                          Thanks for the very nice, very inspirative, very informative, very enjoyable, and very enlightment TR.....
                          I've renewed my "9V-SIA fan membership" for another year....
                          Great, great, great report, Sir!!!
                          Look forward to meet you in 14 Aug.

Comment

Great TR 9V-SIA!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                              Great TR 9V-SIA!
                              Thanks Nick C

What We Did In The US

Hertz

The car rental agencies at EWR are easy to get to by AirTrain (the monorail).

No need to look for a phone to call for shuttle.

The most important thing I learnt from this trip was to get a common car.

The Toyota Camry hybrid I booked was not available ( I have not got the car I booked for years ) so they gave me a Nissan Alterra hybrid instead.

The boot proved too small ( because of batteries ) for our 3 medium sized bags so we were upgraded to this hot rod...

Do you know what it is? You need to rent this car to appreciate what a good ride & handling means. This car was the opposite.

"Drives like a boat eh?" said the Hertz agent, smiling, when I tried to change cars in Hertz, Springfield.

This was their AMG version

NYT writes a nice eulogy for the car. Didn't realize what an important piece of Americana it is...

Mercury Grand Marquis

Mahwah, NJ

We stayed the weekend at Homewood Suite Mahwah, an hour from EWR.

Stayed here before and found it great value. One bedroom suite for USD$160 inclusive of taxes.

Lobby overlooking dining room. Business centre 2 o'clock, meeting rooms 10 o'clock, reception to right of picture

Dining room leading to courtyard & pool. Complimentary breakfast.

In fact, no extra charges which is why we like Homewood Suites.

Why Mahwah?! 30 minutes north of the hotel is Woodbury Common, a famous factory outlet.

Love this display: Juicy Couture "For Nice Girls Who Like Stuff"

Finally the damage..

After a productive weekend of shopping, we started on our college tour by heading north up the Hudson River Valley to Poughkeepsie.

Then east to Boston. I must say some scenic drives, especially off the Interstate Highways.

Crossing the Hudson River

And I got to appreciate Small Town USA with their charming Main Street.

From Boston, we drove back to New York, spent the weekend there before flying home.

Saw Phantom Of The Opera On Broadway, yet more shopping & eating.
                              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 29 November 2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The Proper Way To Do Ultra Long Haul ( ULH )Flights

Day Of Depature

The flight leaves at 11pm. In the past, I used to check out of my New York hotel & check in to the Marriott at EWR.

Now I just pay for an extra night. It allows us more time in NYC shopping.

We shopped till 6pm on the day of our departure. Then had dinner at Thomas Keller's Bouchon in Time-Warner Centre.

Lovely views of Columbus Circle while we dined. The chocolate soufflé is to die for.

The limo picks us from the hotel after our shower. Costs $60 to EWR.

EWR Terminal

We seem to be the last flight out of EWR from this terminal. It was empty..

Check In Counter

The line at the security counter was .... 1 pax in front of me.

Rats! If I had taken the non priority line, I wouldn't have to queue!

The SAS Lounge Entrance

The lounge was full so I didn't take any pictures. All were flying on SQ21.

In fact, it was more pleasant to wait outside with the unwashed masses..

Joking aside, there were very real concerns last year when I took this flight... Before the nature of H1N1 became fully known ( ie milder than SARS )..

Precautions I took in 2009 when traveling to NYC:

1. Sit away from other pax ( OK I like the rear cabin anyway )
                                2. Shopped in Woodbury Common not Manhattan
                                3. Off peak mealtimes ( lunch @11am; dinner@5pm )
                                4. Generally avoid crowded, poorly ventilate areas

Took these pictures before boarding..

9V-SGB

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 June 2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X