Weekend in Hong Kong by A380 & 77W, stay at W Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
    Great TR with photos, thanks for posting!
    Thanks for reading!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Great pics!

That's the Glamourous design scheme you've got with your room at the W. It actually looks nicer than the Glamourous-design Marvellous Suite, as in the colours gel together better. I hope you enjoyed a cocktail or 10 down at the Living Room too.

I prefer the look of the room I got to yours.
    I found yours a bit too psychedelic for my Zen tastes.

We had poolside champagne!
    I suspect it's windy all the time by the pool.
    • Flute was plastic!
    • My glasses were blown off the table by the wind!

Comment

HKG-SIN by 77W

Soon it was time to come home.
      Check in couldn't have been easier downstairs in the Kowloon MTR station.
      There is no separate business class check in.
      I changed our seats from D&F to window seats after my experience on the A380 flight.

Had a highly amusing ride to the airport.
      This Chinese national was on his cell phone and was he speaking loudly.
      Ignoring the clearly posted signs "QUIET ZONE".

After lunch at Maxim's, did some shopping air side before proceeding to check out the SKL.
      No Straits Times so went to the gate 21, which is far brighter.
      I suspect SQ has a policy to design drab lounges to discourage Lounge meets.

My ride home on 9V-SWK .
      Why can't we have photo opportunities like that at SIN?

Seat 18A. Missing one window but can do.

View to the front of the cabin.

View to the back.
      The flight was not full.
      Maybe passengers are opting to fly the A380.
      But the 77W gets my vote....

Differences between 77W and A345 seats:

A345 has nothing between seat and window.
      But the gap between the seat and the window is much narrower.
      The arm rest is straight not angled like on the 77W.
      77W has the "thingy" to hang your headsets and a useful storage bin.

The shelf where I store the magazines/newspapers ( left of moniter ) is missing on the A345.
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 11 September 2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

My view of the GE90 from seat 18A
        Push back from gate 21, about 20 mins late while they looked for passengers.

After a very short taxi...

...ready for take off!
        I love the roar of a GE90 in the morning!
        Once airborne, started to watch Angels and Demons while lunch was served.

Lunch Menu.
        No satay again

But the duckliver terrine with sliced smoke duck salad and plum dressing was sublime

Seared salmon in oriental XO sauce, seasonal vegetables and fried rice.
        Believe it or not, the lamb shank was the low calorie choice and excellent according to my wife

Haagan Daz mango semifreddo.
        Kinda like an ice cream cake
        I surrendered after this and skipped the rest of the meal service.

Conclusions

Enjoyable and relaxing weekend.
        I prefer the 77W to the A380
        W has a great spa.
        W will be my choice if there are no Hyatts around ( eg Barcelona next month )
        Thanks for reading

The End
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 12 September 2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          I prefer the look of the room I got to yours.
          I found yours a bit too psychedelic for my Zen tastes.
          I've experienced and reviewed 4 different Suites, the second of which, a Marvellous Suite actually has the same Glamourous design scheme to your Wonderful Room. Found it a bit too bland. And the colours also didn't really flow so well together as they did in the Wonderful Room you got. I prefer the other scheme by Nick Graham of G+A as it has a certain whimsical edge and a lot 'louder', especially the orange/grey scheme. YMMV, I can see why someone would prefer the Glamourous design if they're into something more sedate and understated.

You can also see elements of both designs in the public areas, especially the Living Room.

A bit disappointed that they've yet to get their bar license for the poolside bar, but I understand it's due to bureaucratic nonsense beyond their control. Right now you have to order in the Living Room and have it brought up, which is a bit of a hassle. Would be great to have a poolside martini at sunset, with DJ Angus spinning some tunes!
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 September 2009, 03:24 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I really enjoyed this report... I'm planning a visit soon to HKG again (year-end), and due to the recent W fanaticism, I'll probably book a night or three there...

Although I'll likely spend most of the time on HK island rather than Kowloon.

And massive thumbs up for the food pictures.

Do post about your Barcelona trip too, that will also come in just in time for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              Apart from being at the W and shopping at Elements, I actually spend most of my time on the Island. It's pretty easy to get to the Island and Lan Kwai Fong - only 1 subway stop away. Then a quick 10 mins walk to LKF and Soho, shopping or a short cab ride to pubs on Lockhart Rd. Location-wise, to get to the Island it's really not that different staying at the W vs the Sheraton. And there's the bonus of being well away from TST (i can get much of the same stuff at Elements without braving the crowds and hawkers on Canton Rd) at the W - YMMV.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 September 2009, 03:35 PM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Well I'll be on HK island mostly to patronise some famous local foodie haunts. Don't worry KeithMEL, you don't need to convince me... I'm planning for Dec to inaugurate my W stay. If all goes well, it'll also be the stay I turn SPG Plat. Of course, lots of other small matters to sort out before that falls into place.

Comment

Great TR, nice wide shots.

Comment

I really enjoyed this report... I'm planning a visit soon to HKG again (year-end), and due to the recent W fanaticism, I'll probably book a night or three there...
                    I think I'm in the minority then. I think the W HK is overrated. [de-bolding, contrary to this board's convention, intentional]
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I've experienced and reviewed 4 different Suites, the second of which, a Marvellous Suite actually has the same Glamourous design scheme to your Wonderful Room. Found it a bit too bland. And the colours also didn't really flow so well together as they did in the Wonderful Room you got. I prefer the other scheme by Nick Graham of G+A as it has a certain whimsical edge and a lot 'louder', especially the orange/grey scheme. YMMV, I can see why someone would prefer the Glamourous design if they're into something more sedate and understated.

You can also see elements of both designs in the public areas, especially the Living Room.

!
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that they got 2 designers to create 2 different styles of rooms?
                      • Glamourous Rooms by Japanese designer
                      • "Other Scheme" Rooms by G+A Nick Graham ( the one you got in post#31 of your TR )

And that these 2 designers co-designed the public areas.
                      I can see where the tension ( you used "forward looking" & "edgy" ) in the design comes from then.

A bit disappointed that they've yet to get their bar license for the poolside bar, but I understand it's due to bureaucratic nonsense beyond their control. Right now you have to order in the Living Room and have it brought up, which is a bit of a hassle.
                      No wonder champagne took a long time to come..

And massive thumbs up for the food pictures.

Do post about your Barcelona trip too, that will also come in just in time for me...
                      Thank you very much for your kind words.
                      I will be posting a Barcelona TR.
                      Currently researching the restaurants to go to..
                      I find TRs a great way to remember holidays.
                      The creative process that goes into them make the trips memorable.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                      Great TR, nice wide shots.
                      Thanks. I love my LX3

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      I think I'm in the minority then. I think the W HK is overrated. [de-bolding, contrary to this board's convention, intentional]
                      My thread title was going to read " Rejuvenation. Botox or ....Stay at the W"

The stay made my wife and I feel young again

The good rate we got and unsolicitated upgrade sweetened the experience

I still prefer my Hyatts...
                      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 11 September 2009, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks, 9V-SIA - great pictures and informative but concise writeup!

You ate at Maxim's at HKG ? I've only done that once and never again - highly inflated prices for food which was not so special.

Like others above, I also prefer being on the Island side and it's just a shame that SPG has only one inconveniently located property there. Nevertheless, I think I'll stay at the W next time I'm in HKG given that I've never done so before and the rather good value SPG points redemption (or even better cash+points if available).

How did you find the service at the W ? I've only stayed in three W's so far - Chicago, Union Square in NYC and the Maldives - and with the first two, haven't quite picked up KeithMEL's enthusiasm. The last one is not quite a normal W.

A case perhaps of style over substance ? Similar to my experience staying at the boutique Hotel LKF right above Lan Kwai Fong itself - it had nice design but seemed to have so few staff - the service was like night and day compared to a well established hotel like the Island Shangri-La.

I'm happy to be proved wrong with the W HKG though.

Apart from being at the W and shopping at Elements, I actually spend most of my time on the Island. It's pretty easy to get to the Island and Lan Kwai Fong - only 1 subway stop away.
                        This coming from the person who was deliberating a few weeks ago about the extra walk involved to get to the LM Piccadilly compared to the Sheraton Park Lane ?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that they got 2 designers to create 2 different styles of rooms?
                          • Glamourous Rooms by Japanese designer
                          • "Other Scheme" Rooms by G+A Nick Graham ( the one you got in post#31 of your TR )

And that these 2 designers co-designed the public areas.
                          I can see where the tension ( you used "forward looking" & "edgy" ) in the design comes from then.
                          That's right.
                          Post 31 - G+A Fantastic Suite
                          Post 43 - Glamourous Marvellous Suite
                          Post 97 - G+A Marvellous Suite (looooooooooooved this one, pity it was only a 1 night stay)

The designer who did Glamourous is responsible for all the butterflies. Including that large motif up at the pool.

I've yet to use Sweat or WET.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          This coming from the person who was deliberating a few weeks ago about the extra walk involved to get to the LM Piccadilly compared to the Sheraton Park Lane ?
                          That's because they're both dreadful, both have too much "old world charm" and it didn't make a difference if i stayed in one or the other except for the location. Replace "LM Piccadilly" with "W Piccadilly" and I'm so there - rain, hail or shine!

I loved Chicago-Lakeshore as it had the most happenin' Living Room by far. And v cool colour schemes, especially the hot pink.

Union Square is just meh, feels rather plain and v much like any other random hotel but the Whatever/Whenever mojo over there is sick which makes the place worth staying at.
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 September 2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Old World charm ? The Sheraton Park Lane is just old. No charm whatsoever. A horrible hotel IMO.

Replace "LM Piccadilly" with "W Piccadilly" and I'm so there - rain, hail or shine!
                            Piccadilly ? Perhaps you can even brave the extra 100 or so metres to Leicester Square ?

I loved Chicago-Lakeshore btw, as it had the most happenin' Living Room by far. And v cool colour schemes.
                            It was certainly happening but as far as the colour scheme goes, my suite (with purple bed cover etc) felt like how I imagine the boudoir of a lady of the night would look...

Comment

Old World charm ? The Sheraton Park Lane is just old. No charm whatsoever. A horrible hotel IMO.
                              Old World. Charm (surely a bit of an euphemism that one for most hotels I've seen bearing that description in reviews ). Old. Avoid!
                              Piccadilly ? Perhaps you can even brave the extra 100 or so metres to Leicester Square ?
                              It can even be Hoxton for all i care. Like i said, open a W and I'm SO there!

In the meantime I'm ditching SPG by heading over to the Sanderson for a change and can't wait!

It was certainly happening but as far as the colour scheme goes, my suite (with purple bed cover etc) felt like how I imagine the boudoir of a lady of the night would look...
                              The decor there is actually what all Ws should be like. I loved the myriad of bold colours, or "psychedelic" use of colours as 9V-SIA described. Like the G+A scheme of the W Honkers. YMMV.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 September 2009, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Purple satin sheets really make me

I much rather prefer the look of something like this new hotel - a rather similar name to the W though and purple too (minus the sheets). And in Wanchai!

Comment

Working...
                                X