X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should svg be retired? Probably due for a c-check more likely

Comment

• Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
      can't beat SRL and SRJ ! that's probably the worst in the whole fleet !
      I'm pretty sure these exist out of purely financial reasons (owned vs leased) and they are selective about which markets they are deployed into but they are very difficult to justify from a brand and a customer experience perspective.

The SV* spacebed cabins are way outdated and not exactly in their best condition. SRJ and SRL are just embarrassing. Made a mistake out of BKK recently and ended up in J in one of these two - this is not up to the SQ brand promise and should have been out (or refitted) years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
        I'm pretty sure these exist out of purely financial reasons (owned vs leased) and they are selective about which markets they are deployed into but they are very difficult to justify from a brand and a customer experience perspective.

The SV* spacebed cabins are way outdated and not exactly in their best condition. SRJ and SRL are just embarrassing. Made a mistake out of BKK recently and ended up in J in one of these two - this is not up to the SQ brand promise and should have been out (or refitted) years ago.
        The only markets that SRJ and SRL serve nowadays are BKK and MNL. They also work around the limitations of the craft: they take the morning rotations into and out of BKK, so everyone on board is probably awake (and no one in J feels the need for a lie-flat bed).

For MNL, they let SRJ/SRL take the inbound/outbound pair which is less business friendly: early evening departure into SIN, late evening arrival into MNL. The plane then sits overnight for an early departure out of MNL and a mid-day arrival at SIN. The flight time out of MNL makes it a bit less appealing for business travelers than the other SQ departures.

The age of SRJ/SRL is most keenly felt for people in J, but for Y passengers it's still pretty good. It's still a 9-across 777 - maybe the IFE is old, but the cabin and seat itself is still quite roomy. On the MNL-SIN route the competition is either narrow-bodies or 9-across A330s.

So... yes, SRJ/SRL are old, and the J product is substandard. However, the way they're deployed tries to minimize those problems... relatively speaking.

Comment

• Interesting about SVG. I was not expecting it to leave the fleet so soon - especially before SVF since both are owned. SVG only got refitted in early 2014 after its return from Royal Brunei. I did read that all the aircraft that were eventually returned were not in the best of condition so maybe that is the reason?

Comment

• Been doing BKK a lot - I don't mind SRJ/SRL in J at all, I find the seats very comfortable and the pitch to be roomier than the A330s. BKK is too short to watch a full movie anyway. I do miss the USB ports but I carry a portable battery pack.

A couple of weeks back on SRL my IFE screen didn't work properly, the connection must have been loose as the screen kept changing into that rewinding-your-VCR type picture noise. The IFS gave the back of the screen a solid slap a couple of times and it worked fine for the rest of the flight.
            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
              Interesting about SVG. I was not expecting it to leave the fleet so soon - especially before SVF since both are owned. SVG only got refitted in early 2014 after its return from Royal Brunei. I did read that all the aircraft that were eventually returned were not in the best of condition so maybe that is the reason?
              I can imagine that might be the case, but then SVF is also in the same situation, so like you I'm really stunned by this. If SVG is indeed permanently withdrawn, there must be something seriously wrong that only developed since the decision was made to refit SVG but not SVA, SVD and SVF. What a waste of new J-seats and refurbed toilets that would be, and pulling them out and using them to fit SVF would now be completely uneconomical.

I'm going to be patient for a while and see where this goes.

Comment

• I've noticed that SQ638/637 to and from NRT has changed to a 777-200 according to the seat map. Think it kicks in this month and is still listed as a 777-200 into Feb next year as the 2-2-2 seat map suggests. Bit of a downgrade from the 77WN that used to service this route and quite surprised it's not even a refitted 777-200ER.

Comment

• Maybe it needed work and rather than spend the money it was sold to delta as the unidentified 777 for less than $10 mil?

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                    The only markets that SRJ and SRL serve nowadays are BKK and MNL. They also work around the limitations of the craft: they take the morning rotations into and out of BKK, so everyone on board is probably awake (and no one in J feels the need for a lie-flat bed).

For MNL, they let SRJ/SRL take the inbound/outbound pair which is less business friendly: early evening departure into SIN, late evening arrival into MNL. The plane then sits overnight for an early departure out of MNL and a mid-day arrival at SIN. The flight time out of MNL makes it a bit less appealing for business travelers than the other SQ departures.

The age of SRJ/SRL is most keenly felt for people in J, but for Y passengers it's still pretty good. It's still a 9-across 777 - maybe the IFE is old, but the cabin and seat itself is still quite roomy. On the MNL-SIN route the competition is either narrow-bodies or 9-across A330s.

So... yes, SRJ/SRL are old, and the J product is substandard. However, the way they're deployed tries to minimize those problems... relatively speaking.
                    Completely agreed, they are very clear about where they deploy them and yes, the impact is mostly felt in J. And of course, BKK is a short sector so the impact is not huge. But the point I'm trying to make is that SQ is a premium airline and they charge for it, particularly in J.

As a passenger I want to know what I am getting, and if I am getting an inferior product (19 year old cabin design) I want to know about it and be charged accordingly. It is not the same to fly in a relatively new 333 or refitted 772 than doing so in any of these two birds, and they are charging exactly the same fare.

Just my two cents, in any case, as you rightly point out, not a huge deal for a 2 hour flight but a nasty surprise if you change the flight on the phone in the last minute and board to find... a projector!

Comment

• Originally posted by mingster View Post
                      I've noticed that SQ638/637 to and from NRT has changed to a 777-200 according to the seat map. Think it kicks in this month and is still listed as a 777-200 into Feb next year as the 2-2-2 seat map suggests. Bit of a downgrade from the 77WN that used to service this route and quite surprised it's not even a refitted 777-200ER.
                      But you got sq636 upgraded to 77w (hopefully wn). If i am not mistaken several months ago i checked and sq638 will be changed to a388 for around 1 week before going 772.

Comment

• From airlineroutes.net:

Singapore Airlines starting June 2016 is gradually moving Boeing 777-200ER operation to South Africa to -300ER, based on yesterday’s (14MAR16) schedule update. From 02JUN16, 3 weekly Singapore – Johannesburg service will be operated by -300ER, while 4 weekly Singapore – Johannesburg – Cape Town sees -300ER service from 01JUL16.

Planned schedule as follow.

Singapore – Johannesburg
                        SQ478 SIN0210 – 0655JNB 77W 146
                        SQ479 JNB1345 – 0610+1SIN 77W 146

Singapore – Johannesburg – Cape Town
                        SQ478 SIN0125 – 0610JNB0710 – 0925CPT 77W x146
                        SQ479 CPT1040 – 1240JNB1345 – 0610+1SIN 77W x146

First class service is not offered on 777-300ER operating flights to South Africa.

Looks like JNB/CPT is going to benefit from the replacement of A350 on existing 773ER route to AMS. Wonder where then would the 772ER be used.
                        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post

Personally, that line of reasoning isn't justified, not for SQ.
                          By that reasoning, SQ shouldn't for example, offer F to Jakarta as no one would need F for a 1.5 our SINCGK flight. Or for the matter F long haul as one can get a flat bed in their long haul J.

Granted for these regional routes like BKK which I fly to regularly SQ has network strength allowing them to get away with it.. although I wish they had a late evening SINBKK flight like TG does.

However SQ still is more expensive than TG in J and the brand promise to go along with that is a superior product.

I still think the soft product is fantastic but I've stopped paying the premium for a J seat to BKK out of my own pocket (my company only pays for Y) as the last time I did that I ended up on one of those old ultimo seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                            Personally, that line of reasoning isn't justified, not for SQ.
                            By that reasoning, SQ shouldn't for example, offer F to Jakarta as no one would need F for a 1.5 our SINCGK flight. Or for the matter F long haul as one can get a flat bed in their long haul J.

Granted for these regional routes like BKK which I fly to regularly SQ has network strength allowing them to get away with it.. although I wish they had a late evening SINBKK flight like TG does.

However SQ still is more expensive than TG in J and the brand promise to go along with that is a superior product.

I still think the soft product is fantastic but I've stopped paying the premium for a J seat to BKK out of my own pocket (my company only pays for Y) as the last time I did that I ended up on one of those old ultimo seats.
                            I'm not really saying it's justified, more of... if you HAD to use SRJ/SRL, they put them in the places where their flaws are less apparent. I think CGK gets a better product than BKK/MNL because there's more connecting traffic there, particularly to Europe. BKK has plenty of options in and of itself, while geographically HKG makes more sense for MNL. (I think CX sends as many as 6x daily flights to MNL.)

Comment

• Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
                              I just saw on airline route that BKK is going back to 772's. Does anyone know if that means it will be back to these 3 SRJ-L planes doing BKK again ?
                              As I am reading back through this thread it is exactly 12 months to the day from your post hjerpa.

Flight SQ970 just departed SIN at 7.15am and is 9V-SRJ.

I think we are going to have these old planes on my most traveled route forever.
                              Last edited by SQ238; 16 March 2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                                From airlineroutes.net:

Singapore Airlines starting June 2016 is gradually moving Boeing 777-200ER operation to South Africa to -300ER, based on yesterday’s (14MAR16) schedule update. From 02JUN16, 3 weekly Singapore – Johannesburg service will be operated by -300ER, while 4 weekly Singapore – Johannesburg – Cape Town sees -300ER service from 01JUL16.

Planned schedule as follow.

Singapore – Johannesburg
                                SQ478 SIN0210 – 0655JNB 77W 146
                                SQ479 JNB1345 – 0610+1SIN 77W 146

Singapore – Johannesburg – Cape Town
                                SQ478 SIN0125 – 0610JNB0710 – 0925CPT 77W x146
                                SQ479 CPT1040 – 1240JNB1345 – 0610+1SIN 77W x146

First class service is not offered on 777-300ER operating flights to South Africa.

Looks like JNB/CPT is going to benefit from the replacement of A350 on existing 773ER route to AMS. Wonder where then would the 772ER be used.
                                Wow, I think I can safely say that nobody here saw that coming! SQ have never tried to offer JNB anything more than what they have to and the only time the destination is mentioned on this forum, the view is that they take the route for granted. When we have discussed where replaced 77Ws might cascade to, I can't recall ever having seen JNB suggested.

I think this may be more about what to do with an excess of 77Ws and the sudden lack of 772ER refits. In fact, this might be part of the reason why SVG has disappeared, since that will reduce the need for 772ER refits by two.

The announcement indicates that F "service" will not be offered, but I'm wondering if they might over-book J and upgrade some passengers to the F seat but keeping the J service? Otherwise 8 seats will remain empty.

Comment

Working...
                                X