Jaunts to Southern China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaunts to Southern China

I have a two trips to cities in Southern China this week, something I have to do often for work. Fortunately, my company policy allows J class for the international leg.

Trip 1: SIN - SZX // HKG - SIN Daytrip

22 April 2013
    SIN - SZX
    MI 962 on A320
    0700-1050

I love the MI connections to 2nd tier cities in China. I've done WUH and XMN quite often, this is the first time to SZX, as I usually fly to HKG and take the boat/train across the border.

Check in was in T2. They couldn't issue the return boarding pass from HKG on SQ due to "security reasons". Found it strange.

After a quick stop in SKL, headed out to F37. I always get to the gate 10 minutes before departure, so pretty much everyone had boarded when I arrived. I was seated on 1A:

The seats are old-style recliners. Can't really complain about comfort for a <5 hr flight other than the lack of in-seat-power and IFE. They do have the small overhead screens but no earphone jacks....so just have to watch without sound. Programme was a selection of "non-audio-critical" shows like Wipeout, Just for Laughs, etc. My IFE on MI flights tends to be books.

Pushback was on time and we took off around 0715. J class was 10/12 full. Breakfast was a choice of Hokkien Noodles or Omelette. No individual menus on MI. I chose the former. Served directly from galley....no trolleys. Not too bad tasting:

I'm fine with MI service generally. No bad experiences to date.

Landing was delayed a little due to ATC at SZX with us landing at 1110. Even so, we had to wait a little while longer as, according to ground staff, "immigration was not ready". SZX is a pretty small airport for a city of its size, but it is sandwiched between HKG (spoint for choice for int'l flights) and CAN (for domestic). I don't think it gets many international flights (HKG airport is just a 30 min ferry ride away from Shekou, a pier east of the city). International terminal (Terminal D) is a small shack with no aerobridges. After about 10 minutes' waiting, we got off and got on buses to the terminal. J-class passengers had the special privilege of riding on a Mercedes Benz van with nicer upholstered seats.

With only 10 of us in the line and 5 counters operating, clearance was quick. I didn't have any check-in luggage, and was out in <3 minutes. I had to wait for a colleague coming in from PEK from CA, so walked over to Terminal B. From Terminal D, I walked on a sidewalk to Terminal A, which is then connected via a covered overhead bridge to Terminal B (there is no Terminal C). Her flight from PEK was delayed of course (PEK is one of the worst airports for ATC delays in Asia) so I had a cup of hot chocolate at a Starbucks in Terminal B arrivals.

Finally, at around 1200, my colleague got out, and we caught a cab downtown. Taxi line was long but fast-moving, and there were attendants handing out maps of the city.

I generally find Chinese airports in 2nd tier cities quite efficient, and SZX is no different. The new fancy terminal across the runway looks almost ready, wonder when it will open.

Cab ride downtown (Mix City mall) took about 30 minutes, and like in many Chinese highways, required a complete suspension of fear, as the driver swerved across lanes at 120km/h.

Lunch was followed by a meeting ending at 5pm. It was too late to catch the 1730 ferry from Shekou to HKIA. So the client offered land transfer to HKIA via a private van. Border crossing was a little slow, but I got to HKIA at 1800, just missing the cut-off to try to board SQ865 departing at 1830. So I just spent the evening in HKIA SKL to wait for SQ871, departing 1955. That flight, serviced on a 72A, was uneventful and right on time. I slept most of the way back, so didn't note much.

Next: CZ to CAN and different type of 380

Thanks for your TR on MI

I'm travelling on MI (my first trip with them) in a couple of weeks from SIN - HKT in J class

As I'm travelling in the afternoon, I'm particularly interested in their selection of alcoholic beverages available. Are you able to provide any guidance?

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiesqguy View Post
      As I'm travelling in the afternoon, I'm particularly interested in their selection of alcoholic beverages available. Are you able to provide any guidance?
      Not much of a selection, even on the longer (>4hr) flights. Wines are in small twist-cap bottles (choice of red or white). Didn't try any other options. HKT is such a short flight, so not even sure if there would be a proper meal service. Maybe best to get your alcohol fix in SKL before the flight.

Comment

That hokkien mee looks really good!

Comment

After 2 days back in Singapore, was off again to China: Guangzhou and Changsha this time for a 2-day trip.

I've given up on SQ on the CAN route due to its horrendous schedule. Outbound at 0820 and 2015 are fine, but the return at 1325 and 0120 are not.

So it's CZ for me on this segment. They've just increased their frequency to 4x daily with departures spread out throughout the day.

Trip 2:
          SIN-CAN-CSX-CAN-SIN

25 April 2013
          SIN - CAN
          CZ 352 on A321
          0800-1140

Check in for J-class was at the SATS Premier Check-in Lounge. No one else was there, and I was quickly through. Lounge access airside is the SATS Premier Lounge. Nothing to shout about, and food choices were limited and didn't look appetizing.

Boarding was on time at gate C18. J-class on CZ domestic and regional flights are pretty standard:

Compared to MI seats, they're a little harder and on some older planes, pretty tatty. But again, acceptable for a short jump.

Managed to peek into premium economy, which was quite empty:

Doors closed 5 minutes early and we were off the ground by 0810. Business class was 3/12 occupied. The two most senior cabin crew (ok not PC, but it also means the two oldest crew) served us. They spoke adequate English. One unique point about J-class CZ service is that the stewardess updates each passenger individually on flight updates like scheduled arrival time, expected delays and causes, etc.

Meal was interesting. Although it should have been a breakfast service, we got lunch.

After take-off nuts and coffee (instant coffee only, but tea selection is very good):

Appetizer:

Salad:

This actually tasted very good.

Main:

This was a steamed fish dish. Tasted a lot better than it looked...I liked the fact that CZ was willing to make it spicy. The other choice was Hainanese Chicken Rice....I had it on a previous trip, and I think fish is much better.

Fruits, desert & crackers (yes all 3):

Very filling meal, and quite good!

IFE:

There were the small overhead TVs, showing Lincoln in original English with Chinese subtitles. Kind of surprising on a Chinese carrier given the level of familiarity with American history one needs to follow the story. Also, I thought a key theme of the movie was that social issues, however complex, are best resolved in a democratic process!

Anyway, J-class passengers get an individual AVOD-player:

Very eclectic mix of American TV shows (entire series of Game of Thrones, Grey's Anatomy, etc) and Chinese, Korean, Hindi(!!), French and Russian movies. No English movie. Probably copyright issues. The player is archaic (stylus, anyone??) and not very responsive but it works. The operating system is offered in Chinese, Korean, English and Russian.

Uneventful flight and landed on time. Not many international flights into CAN at that time, so immigration line was short. I was on a cab, heading downtown by noon. I like the CZ morning flight as it allows for a lunch appointment in CAN, which the SQ flight doesn't, just by a few minutes.

To be continued: onwards to CSX...

Comment

My meeting ended at 5pm, and a colleague and I had to travel on to CSX for another meeting the next day. We were taking the high-speed CRH trains trains for the first time.

25 April 2013
            CAN - CSX
            Train G6024 on CRH3C
            1820 -2054

We arrived at Guangzhou South station at 1755, too late the 1803 train to CSX we had booked online. But the ticketing office quickly changed us to the 1820 train. Guangzhou South is a huge station, so it takes a while to walk from the ticketing office to the platform.

There is a airport style security check before the platform entrance, but enforcement is lax. The metal detectors beeped but there wasn't any thorough check. I guess the equipment is there in case they need to tighten security ahead of major events.

First sight of the platform with the new model CRH380A train in the background:

Our train arrived on exactly on time, but it was an older model CRH3C. We had paid extra for 1st class seats (2-2 configuration vs the 2-3 configuration for 2nd class):

Seats were comfortable, more so than the CZ J-class seats. 1st class passengers got free snacks and drinks:

But we were hungry and got a full meal from the meal car:

The ride was smooth and comfortable, going at the new reduced speed limits:

We arrived exactly on time in Changsha South station, and caught a cab to our hotel.

Comment

The next morning, our meeting started at 9am and we were done at 1130. However, the heavy fog that blanketed the city in the morning had not lifted. I had a message from my office that my CSX-CAN flight was delayed. I had planned to connect to the 1830 CAN-SIN flight on CZ. My travel agent had moved me to the later 2035 flight.

After pleasant experience on the train the previous night, I decided to head to the train station to try my luck there.

26 April 2013
              CSX - CAN
              Train G543 on CRH380A
              1310 - 1552

There were no problems getting 1st class tickets even though it was the Friday before a holiday weekend. It is easy to get around the station as signage is in English, but like elsewhere in China, it is not always helpful:

You do need to speak some very basic Chinese (city names, times, numbers, etc) to get things sorted at the ticketing office. That is the level of Chinese I speak anyway....and I survived.

Got a quick lunch at the station in a generic fast-food place and headed to the platform. This time I got the newer CRH380A train:

Everything was similar to the previous night, just a little newer:

As it was daytime, I was also able to appreciate the scenery along the way:

My travel agent emailed saying they got CZ to cancel my CSX-CAN flight booking at no charge, but they couldn't move me back to the earlier 1830 flight back to SIN from CAN. I could try at the airport if I arrive on time.

The train was on time, of course. But it is a one hour cab ride from Guangzhou South station to Guangzhou Baiyun airport. Still, I made it to the airport by 1710.

26 April 2013
              CAN - SIN
              CZ3041 on B737-700
              2025 - 0030

This is when my trouble started. It was the peak Canton Fair period and the airport was crowded. The check staff at CZ business class told me there were seats on the 1830 flight but I had to go to the ticketing counter to get my bookings changed. At the ticketing counter, there was a party of 4 Mexicans trying to sort out flights back to MEX. While waiting, I saw my 45 minute cut-off to the 1830 flight pass....so I resigned myself to the 2035 flight.

Security and immigration was busier at this time of the day. After getting through, I found the CZ lounge. It was their flagship lounge, and according to their website, the largest in China. But parts of it was under renovation. Nonetheless, a good lounge:

Hot food downstairs, with a noodle bar:

Slumberettes, with apron view:

I had my dinner there....a mix of noodles and other hot meals. They had a decent Great Wall cab-sauv too.

CZ3041 was initially delayed by 30 minutes, but once at the gate, we were informed it was delayed further. We had to bus to a remote location, and boarded about 50 mins late. Then there was a further delay, as they waited for some connecting passengers who were delayed...... Picture of CZ A380 taken from my seat:

Finally took off at 2200, 1:30 hrs late. I was the only passenger on J-class, but a little later, one other passenger from the back was upgraded. So 2/8 full. Service was similar to the previous flight; catering not as good as out of SIN, but still fine. I didn't eat much though as I had had a good meal in the lounge. Arrived almost close to 0200, ending another long trip.

Comment

Key takeaways:

(1) Despite the problems with my CAN-SIN return (inability to change to earlier flight, delays), I still will stick to CZ over SQ for my trips to CAN because of the better frequency and timing. On-board catering and IFE is better than MI.

(2) For domestic travel in China, high speed rail trumps flying for any distance below 800km (my colleague says 1,000km). The CAN-CSX distance of over 700km was covered in 2hrs 40mins. Key positives:
                + Very on time, and at peak hours, trains running almost every 10 minutes.
                + No need for advance booking, so lots of flexibility.

(3) Always pay the slight premium for 1st class in CRH. [Side note: on the CRH380 trains, there are also business class trains, which are superior to 1st class.....lie-flat + personal TV.....but they are not worth the premium. Pictures here: http://www.ibtimes.com/china-open-be...hotos-707355#]

Comment

Working...
                X