US immigration queues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US immigration queues

Don't get me started about immigration queues in the US ... okay, I'm started ... Was at EWR two weeks ago, post Thanksgiving. Normally, queues at about 5pm are quite thin at Terminal B. But because it was post Thanksgiving, there was a line of at least 250-300 pax. The officers somehow felt that they were doing what was beyond their call of duty and were going very slowly and deliberately with each pax. They way they stamped the passports was like sending morse code in slow motion. To top it off, they also disallowed everyone from using their mobiles (i.e. reading mail) - someone give me a valid reason please - it's not like they have any navigational devices! It took me slightly over an hour just to clear immigration.

Must have been terrible after an 18 hour flight. Not the norm though. SQ22 usually clears very fast IME

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      Must have been terrible after an 18 hour flight. Not the norm though. SQ22 usually clears very fast IME
      Yes, you're right 9V-SIA. Normally, it's a walk in the park.

Comment

Do you have an APEC card? I've used it at SFO to avoid the queues.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
          Do you have an APEC card? I've used it at SFO to avoid the queues.
          Yes, that's a good idea indeed, Wan1dap. I know of it but I need to get it done in my home country .... a little bit of a hassle. I don't do much travel within Asia, so apart from the US, I won't have much use of it, hence the reluctance of taking the trouble of applying for it.

I need to find out if it can be done through the post.

Comment

They're done by post even if you're in-country, (at least in NZ they are) so I would think it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
              They're done by post even if you're in-country, (at least in NZ they are) so I would think it will work.
              Thanks, Wan1dap. Good to know. My home country is Malaysia ....

Comment

post deleted
                Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I've entered US via PHL, IAD, JFK, EWR, SFO, LAX, IAH and SEA over the past 3 years and I found SEA to be the fastest!

Comment

Originally posted by jyflyer View Post
                    I've entered US via PHL, IAD, JFK, EWR, SFO, LAX, IAH and SEA over the past 3 years and I found SEA to be the fastest!
                    Why do you think that's the reason, jyflyer? Fewer people go there?

Comment

Breezed through ORD a few days ago

Comment

Ever get annoyed at TSA screeners

post deleted
                        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Good on him!

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                            Maybe this guy went a bit over the top!

Police: Man strips naked at Oregon airport in TSA protest
                            +111

As an aside, the metal detectors in Changi seem to be been tuned for higher sensitivity these days. It beeped on my because of a 5-cent coin.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              Don't get me started about immigration queues in the US ... okay, I'm started ... Was at EWR two weeks ago, post Thanksgiving. Normally, queues at about 5pm are quite thin at Terminal B. But because it was post Thanksgiving, there was a line of at least 250-300 pax. The officers somehow felt that they were doing what was beyond their call of duty and were going very slowly and deliberately with each pax. They way they stamped the passports was like sending morse code in slow motion. To top it off, they also disallowed everyone from using their mobiles (i.e. reading mail) - someone give me a valid reason please - it's not like they have any navigational devices! It took me slightly over an hour just to clear immigration.
                              Could not remember in USA (will be going soon). But I think most airport do not allow handphone/mobiles at the immigration area. Is a controlled area. You should be able to see no handphone sign around.
                              Last edited by cscs1956; 22 April 2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X