Istanbul in November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
    Will be visiting IST for the first time in Dec before heading to Europe. Considering the Crowne Plaza in the old city. Is this a convenient location?
    Yes it is. The tram stop is only a short walk away. A few stops to Sultanmehmet and the tourist attractions (Blue Mosque, Hagia) and the ports. A few minutes walk to the Grand Bazaar.

If you don't want to take the tram, you could just continue walking down the road to the Blue Mosque area.

It is much better located than the Park Hyatt which is the middle of nowhere though that area has all the high end brands. BUt why would I want to buy Prada or Gucci in Istanbul (I wouldn't buy them anywhere anyway! )?

Depends on where/what you want to do. The Grand Hyatt and IC are nearer the Taksim area.

I think the Crowne Plaza Old City is quite reasonably priced for the location.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
      Will be visiting IST for the first time in Dec before heading to Europe. Considering the Crowne Plaza in the old city. Is this a convenient location?
      Yes - very good location. You can also try the doubletree nearby which is newer.

Btw- visiting IST (if you fly into ataturk) means you ARE in Europe already anyway

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        Yes it is. The tram stop is only a short walk away. A few stops to Sultanmehmet and the tourist attractions (Blue Mosque, Hagia) and the ports. A few minutes walk to the Grand Bazaar.

If you don't want to take the tram, you could just continue walking down the road to the Blue Mosque area.

It is much better located than the Park Hyatt which is the middle of nowhere though that area has all the high end brands. BUt why would I want to buy Prada or Gucci in Istanbul (I wouldn't buy them anywhere anyway! )?

Depends on where/what you want to do. The Grand Hyatt and IC are nearer the Taksim area.

I think the Crowne Plaza Old City is quite reasonably priced for the location.
        Thank you phaleesy! I'm inching towards the IHG brands based on the corp rates I have access to.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Yes - very good location. You can also try the doubletree nearby which is newer.

Btw- visiting IST (if you fly into ataturk) means you ARE in Europe already anyway
        Opps. What was I thinking?

Comment

Still like to think it's Asia because it sounds more exotic!

Comment

The Sultanahment Mosque at dusk

Just finished a relaxing 8-day (extended to 9 courtesy of SQ) trip to Istanbul. Loved the place, the food and most of all its people. Many thanks to all in this forum for all the great tips.

I promised Phaleesy that I would try to take a pic of the Blue Mosque with the sea in the background. So here it is - was nearly frozen to death with the gusty wind.

Comment

just got back on monday myself. a little chilly if anything but loads of fun though

Comment

just got back on monday myself. a little chilly if anything but loads of fun though
                Yes, alas, it was getting wet and cold the last 3 days over the weekend. I presume you were not on SQ?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  Yes, alas, it was getting wet and cold the last 3 days over the weekend. I presume you were not on SQ?
                  No, I came back on MH, came in from JFK on TK

edit: Sorry, arrived back on Sunday....

Comment

No, I came back on MH, came in from JFK on TK

edit: Sorry, arrived back on Sunday....
                    Hmmm, what a coincidence

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      Hmmm, what a coincidence
                      Were you on my flight? It was full in J, and there were lots of Japanese occupying the center section.

I doubt you were sitting next to me though.... firstly, it was a lady, and secondly, she didn't seem like the frequent travel nut kind.....

Comment

I just visited IST yesterday morning at 5am

Was great, took some awesome midnight shots without the crowds for once! And not that cold, quite reasonable. Warm compared to where I am now (Genova, bloody freezing...).

Unfortunately Kemal Travel & Tours didn't get back to me in time so I tried a Mr Vrai instead, and he took me to a few different places/vantage points for some new photos of the Bosphurus, happy but nearly missed my flight as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          nearly missed my flight as usual

Comment

I just visited IST yesterday morning at 5am

Was great, took some awesome midnight shots without the crowds for once! And not that cold, quite reasonable. Warm compared to where I am now (Genova, bloody freezing...).

Unfortunately Kemal Travel & Tours didn't get back to me in time so I tried a Mr Vrai instead, and he took me to a few different places/vantage points for some new photos of the Bosphurus, happy but nearly missed my flight as usual
                            You are damn lucky if I may say so. Last week was about 7deg but with a wind chill, it was sub-zero after dusk. It definitely remove any enthusiasm I had to go out for any late night pics.

Love to see some of your pics from your vantage points!

Comment

I thought Kemal Travel and Tours went back to Bulgaria? It's the reason why I didn't call him the last few trips....

Comment

4 Seasons gives very good service both at the Bosphorus and the hotel located in town. I think the one near the Hagia Sofiya is better because it is more intimate but it is quite expensive.

Do try a Turkish Hammam. Very interesting experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X