Istanbul in November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    I forgot to mention a traditional hammam (Turkish bath)! I've never tried it but just the thought of it makes me cringe!

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE
    After watching the video, I'm quite certain that I will not be visiting a hamman - I cannot stop relating it to a manual car wash. I've tried an onsen in Hakone a couple of times and that's about as far I'm mentally prepared to go.

Comment

Although that video is rather dated (the entrance now has a booth on the side where you select your treatment), that's a very accurate depiction of what happens. Yes, the suds-in-your-face take some time to get used to, but everything else is rather good. You'll come out feeling invigorated.

I would do it again, and again, and again... ad libitum

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Thanks for all the links.

Planning a trip to IST myself in Spring next year, now that SQ flies non stop on lie flat seats!
        gosh - that's good news! when did SQ give up those horrid regional J seats? now there is no excuse for delaying another trip to istanbul........really love Ciya, the Bosphorus and walking over the hills of the Old City (each has a mosque) to the Kariye

Comment

I must admit that before my first trip to Turkey last year my (stereotyped) image of Turks was big burly rough wrestler types, e.g. the film Midnight Express.

However, what I found instead was that Turkish people (with the exception of the odd taxi driver) were all really friendly and nice. Istanbul is so atmospheric and photogenic - the view of the Bosphorus as the sun sets - magic! The food is great and inexpensive. The PH IST is a gem but the location is so so.

I liked IST so much that I went back twice again in the same year but still haven't explored lots in and around Istanbul. It's one of my favourite destinations. I'd happily go back again any time!

Comment

Very nice suggestions and links for Istanbul under this thread.

Considered going end of the month for the Akbank jazz fest http://www.akbanksanat.com/web/525-1...festival/jamzz , alas, my schedule did not permit
            Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              Although that video is rather dated (the entrance now has a booth on the side where you select your treatment), that's a very accurate depiction of what happens. Yes, the suds-in-your-face take some time to get used to, but everything else is rather good. You'll come out feeling invigorated.

I would do it again, and again, and again... ad libitum

This is where me and the girls went: http://www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/
              Last edited by SQflyergirl; 31 August 2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                This is where me and the girls went: http://www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/
                Yep, I went there on my 2nd visit.

First time I went to another one, gotta check the piccies on my laptop at home to get the name.

You still in touch with Kemal?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  You still in touch with Kemal?
                  No, haven't seen him online in ages. Last trip in June I just hired one off the taxi rank and asked him to take us around for the day.

Comment

Loved my brief stop in Istanbul! - trip report here.

It's beautiful and plenty to see and do. Somewhat "chaotic" and I mean that in a good way - not "sterile" like some cities. Kind of reminds me of Bangkok.

It's pretty easy to get around so I don't think there's a need to hire a tour.

SQtalk DO???

Comment

Thanks, everyone for their tips. Finally booked a quiet place on the fringe of the Sultanahmet area. It's a boutique hotel called Millennium Suites. Looking forward to this short break. But before that ... two months of work travel.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                        If you can find the viewpoint where you can take a picture of the Hagia Sophia with the sea behind it,
                        Silly me. It's the Blue Mosque I meant!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          Silly me. It's the Blue Mosque I meant!
                          Hmmm .... having looked at where the Blue Mosque is, I will probably need to find a tallish building. Interesting challenge indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                            Hmmm .... having looked at where the Blue Mosque is, I will probably need to find a tallish building. Interesting challenge indeed.
                            Or according to the PH IST concierge (very friendly and knowledgeable except perhaps in relation to this) a helicopter ?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              Or according to the PH IST concierge (very friendly and knowledgeable except perhaps in relation to this) a helicopter ?
                              Yes, she told me it could only be taken from a helicopter. The guys at the bar told me to photoshop the sea into the background!

Comment

Will be visiting IST for the first time in Dec before heading to Europe. Considering the Crowne Plaza in the old city. Is this a convenient location?

Comment

Working...
                                X