A glimpse of Christmas around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    Oh dear! I think I might know this un-gentleman. He bears a slight resemblance to someone on my friends' list.
    There are other (worse) photos out there in the ether from that night

Comment

I don't have any other proper pictures though!

Comment

Posted some onboard Christmas decoration pics here

Comment

Christmas 2009 in Riga, Latvia (at ...-13 deg. C on a bloody freezing Monday early evening):

My Canon G10 lasted easily 55 minutes out there; I couldn't take it any more and came back home...
          Both my dSLRs are out of battery power, will recharge and get out with the TS-E and the fisheye soon...

Comment

Great pics, N_Architect. Keep 'em coming.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
              Christmas 2009 in Riga, Latvia (at ...-13 deg. C on a bloody freezing Monday early evening):
              -13 degree celsius! I would be in my bear bear PJs, hiding under a fluffy duvet with a nice cup of hot chocolate, thick romance book and a large sausage bolster.

More snowmen pictures please?

Comment

NYC 2009

Some pictures I took in NYC in the Rock and Saks area. Christmas deco seems to be the same as last year.

Temperature was quite mild compared to Riga. We did not loiter too long. I lost my stockings in the earlier part of the evening and my legs were getting rather cold.

I don't know know to take pictures of lighting and night scenes. I was using a high ISO and the pictures are noisy. Some pics still turned out blurry with the monopod. Time to get the Nikon D3 or Canon 5DmkII.

Someone please tell me how to take pictures of Xmas trees! Or how I could post-process the image. My poor tree has turned out looking like a series of dots!!!

Starlights belonging to Saks.

More angels and horns.

Trying to get everything into the picture

I think if I wanted to capture the angel, horn and the whole building, I would have to lie down flat on the floor. It was not convenient to do so with so many people around.

Comment

More snowmen pictures please?

The padlocks (if you notice) on the bridge rails are put there by newly wed couples, to symbolize the 'together forever' spirit.
                  More shots of this when the weather gets better.

Comment

I don't know know to take pictures of lighting and night scenes. I was using a high ISO and the pictures are noisy. Some pics still turned out blurry with the monopod. Time to get the Nikon D3 or Canon 5DmkII.

Someone please tell me how to take pictures of Xmas trees! Or how I could post-process the image. My poor tree has turned out looking like a series of dots!!!
                    First of all, I cannot see your pictures at all. something is wrong, either from the way you posted the flickr link or from my end here.

Second, you need to take a tripod with you for night shots. I thought you already had one. High ISO and monopod won't do it at all for this type of shooting. In NYC beware, I read the other day that tripods are forbidden and need permit to use in the streets. Furthermore, there is not much post-processing to be done, unless you need to get the lights glowing in a different way/color/etc., correct WB (in case the camera got it wrong - I always rely on auto but best is to have a white A4/Letter size piece of copier paper with you and set the custom WB on the spot), etc.

Third, with a tripod it's fairly simple. Mount the camera on, level it (either the tripod will have a mini-leveler or you can get a separate one that sits on the flash hot shoe of your camera body. Night shots are all about long exposure. Camera in full M (manual) mode, set your aperture to capture the desired depth-of-field, and then set speed so that the indicated resulting exposure (by the camera) is the correct one, i.e. that the final image will be neither over- or under-exposed. ISO can be as low as 80 (the lower it is, the longer will be the exposure of course.)

The shots I took above in Riga centrs (that's how they call the center of the city here) are all ISO 80, f/5, exposure time ranged from 2.5 seconds to 4 or 5 seconds, no pp at all other than cropping and leveling (which is far from perfect by the way). All were shot in RAW, but I'm trying that at the moment in combination with available software and may get back to shooting straight jpegs in the future.

Comment

2 A380's parked side by side in the snow....

Comment

Originally posted by blast-off View Post

2 A380's parked side by side in the snow....
                        Now that's a sight you don't get to see everyday

It's not at Changi airport right??

Comment

Working...
                        X