The B747 farewell flights: SQ747 & SQ748 06 April 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The B747 farewell flights: SQ747 & SQ748 06 April 2012

After nearly 40 years, Singapore Airlines finally retired its last B747 aircraft, with its last flights being SQ747 and SQ748 to Hong Kong and back.

After hearing of its farewell flights, I hesitated for a minute. I really regret that as when I decided to book, SQ747 was already full. Initially, I could only get on SQ890 which leaves SIN an hour earlier to connect to SQ748. After numerous phone calls, the KUL office offered me a J seat on SQ747. Perfect, I thought. One last ride on the Upper Deck would be fantastic. Plus, I haven't been on JCL for ages, so I figured this would be a perfect opportunity.

Part 1: KUL-SIN
    SQ747 leaves too early for an ex-KUL departure, so an overnight connection was a must.

So, this is where my journey began

Quick visit to the lounge for a bite

Not really a fan of the SKL, so I popped into the TG Lounge.

9V-STS will fly us to SIN tonight.

Subang?! SQ stopped flying there for 14 years now

The sad looking meal

Landed at 1853, docked at B8. Right next to the gate which will soon make history

Up next: Part 2

Part 2: Party at B7

5:45am - Changi T3

A special check-in row dedicated to SQ747 (row 2). Got both SQ747 and 748 BPs printed, and headed into the SKL for a light breakfast.

It's nice to have a blue BP for once

Looks like they didn't change SQ860 to SQ747

Didn't want to linger around too long as I knew there was going to be a celebration at the gate.

That gentleman in the blue shirt was among the first to pilot an SQ B747!
    Last edited by SilverChris; 9 April 2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:03 AM.

Comment

PART 2: CON'T

I apologise in advance for the blurry pics

It was here that I met another SQTalker, feb01mel. After passing through security it wasn't long before we spotted the SQT celebrities, who come from faraway places such as MAN

There was a nice buffet set up inside, but I was more interested in the food onboard

Spotted here are the pilots who would go down in history

Soon enough, the MC, Mr Ravi, got everyone's attention. Then, the commerative 747 video was played, followed by performances by a few crew members! If you're wondering - No, I don't think they boarded the flight.

Mr Mak Swee Wah delivering his speech

This is why I hate zooming

Followed by the performances, featuring the 70s, 80s.. etc

Last edited by SilverChris; 22 April 2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

With so many high-level SQ executives in attendance, did any SQT members give them a good counselling session on how to make it better?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            With so many high-level SQ executives in attendance, did any SQT members give them a good counselling session on how to make it better?
            I was actually quite tempted to give him a lecture on what concerns me most - The disappointing KUL meals

Comment

At 07:53, Mr Mak sounded the gong, effectively marking the start of boarding

Of course, First and Business pax were called first. Just before you step out of the holding gate, a smiling FA hands over your goodie bag, with cameramen everywhere. Seriously, that was my 5 seconds of fame. It even got me on TV for 1.5 seconds .

Part 3 - Final Departure out of Changi (SQ747)

The excitement within me continued to build up as I walked down the aerobridge. Together with feb01mel, we were both warmly greeted by a Green tie and a Red Kebaya (IIRC), and were directed UPSTAIRS

18C for me, 17H for mel

To be continued
              Last edited by SilverChris; 22 April 2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                I was actually quite tempted to give him a lecture on what concerns me most - The disappointing KUL meals
                LOL! You are lucky they have time to serve you a drink on that flight. Those FAs really perform on that flight!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  I spoke to Mr. Mak about the website and dilution of QPP/TPP.
                  The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                    I spoke to Mr. Mak about the website and dilution of QPP/TPP.
                    Details please

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      I did see you after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                        I did see you after all.
                        Mind elaborating via PM?

Comment

Great photos!

Comment

Great Photos SilverChris!

Comment

Thanks SilverChris!

Returned later as could not handle SQ 748 & met CW again ( on SQ 747 too ).. We were on 19 A & 14 K y'day - but B777

Comment

Working...
                              X