SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Old 25th May 2018, 03:35 AM   #46
SQfanatic
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: KrisFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainlyMiles View Post
This is very common throughout the industry. Even currently in Scoot cabin crew can fly A320 to Penang one day, 787 to Sydney the next. Jetstar Singapore cabin crew fly 787 to Melbourne one day, A320 to Auckland the next. In British Airways A320 to Oslo one day, 777-300ER to Singapore the next. Nothing groundbreaking here.
So the MI cabin crew and pilots will simply transition to flying and using the same plane for service, only that they will rotate between both the planes, correct?
SQfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 07:55 AM   #47
Airtropolis
SQTalker

Wonder what this means for terminal allocation in Changi Airport. The current situation of splitting between T3/2 May no longer be feasible when the merger occurs with flexibility between narrow and wide body operations being key. I don’t think T5 would also be ready so soon to accommodate the entire SQ group. My guess will be the combined SQ takes over the terminal 3 wholly with code share partners and Scoot in T2 perhaps.
Airtropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 11:32 AM   #48
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtropolis View Post
Wonder what this means for terminal allocation in Changi Airport. The current situation of splitting between T3/2 May no longer be feasible when the merger occurs with flexibility between narrow and wide body operations being key. I don’t think T5 would also be ready so soon to accommodate the entire SQ group. My guess will be the combined SQ takes over the terminal 3 wholly with code share partners and Scoot in T2 perhaps.
Could you elaborate why the split between T2/T3 would not work with MI merged into SQ?? If anything, I would have thought it would be completely necessary now. I remember reading that SQ alone could not be accommodated completely in T3 which is why the current split-terminal operation, let alone combined SQ+MI.

Last edited by Jumbojet Lover; 25th May 2018 at 11:55 AM..
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 12:41 PM   #49
MainlyMiles
SQTalker

Programs: KrisFlyer, Avios, Mileage Plan, Asia Miles, Etihad Guest, Skywards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQfanatic View Post
So the MI cabin crew and pilots will simply transition to flying and using the same plane for service, only that they will rotate between both the planes, correct?
For pilots it's more complicated as they can generally only be qualified to fly one aircraft type at a time. 'Mixed Fleet Flying' does allow some combinations like A320/A330, A330/A350 or B777/B787, though Singapore Airlines don't currently do this with their pilots.

For cabin crew it's simpler as they can usually be qualified to operate on 5 or 6 aircraft types / variants at the same time.
MainlyMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 03:24 PM   #50
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Yes currently SIA line pilots fly only one type of aircraft that they are currently qualified for and similiarly for Silkair too I believe.
However for cabin crew, they can be common fleeted to 2 or 3 types of aircraft.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 11:57 PM   #51
SQfanatic
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainlyMiles View Post
For pilots it's more complicated as they can generally only be qualified to fly one aircraft type at a time. 'Mixed Fleet Flying' does allow some combinations like A320/A330, A330/A350 or B777/B787, though Singapore Airlines don't currently do this with their pilots.

For cabin crew it's simpler as they can usually be qualified to operate on 5 or 6 aircraft types / variants at the same time.
Yes, I always thought of it that way. So it makes sense what you're saying.
Old 26th May 2018, 01:39 AM   #52
gumption
SQTalker

I wonder whether the cabin crew will be completely integrated or they will only keep the ex-silkair crew on the narrowbodies.

There is also the question of the difference in policies concerning layovers. E.g. silkair crew to Male do not layover but SQ crew do.

Lastly, when the A319s leave Silkair, that would probably also mean an end to serving USM?
gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 06:14 AM   #53
SQfanatic
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumption View Post
I wonder whether the cabin crew will be completely integrated or they will only keep the ex-silkair crew on the narrowbodies.

There is also the question of the difference in policies concerning layovers. E.g. silkair crew to Male do not layover but SQ crew do.

Lastly, when the A319s leave Silkair, that would probably also mean an end to serving USM?
To answer the first question, if the cabin crew would be integrated, they would also need to be trained on both plane bodies. I know a few airlines who will have crew roster a single aircraft type and when the switch occurs they would eventually be moved to other aircraft (i.e. 744 to 77W or a narrowbody).

With USM, hopefully Scoot will serve that route since it has some A319 and A320.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:05 PM   #54
boing
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgspotter View Post
Don’t recall SIA Cargo have ever operated any B734, but I do remember they had a single B733 in the “current” livery in the 90s and maybe early 2000s. From memory that aircraft was registered 9V-SQZ...
My bad. Have been assuming SIA Cargo along with MI operated B734s in the 90s.
boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 05:17 AM   #55
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

This was the worst kept secret in SQ, but the timing is earlier than expected. Maybe something changed that pushed them to do it now.