Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
    Why is anyone paying more than THB 3200 for the IC?
    Concur.

Comment

• Just trying Le Meridien for the first time and I have to say I'm impressed. The location is great for me as I can walk to the office (although walking back this evening through patpong was interesting).

Good recognition of the Plat benefits, upgraded to a nice suit although I did have to wait for it as the previous occupant was also a plat so taking advantage of the late check out (I could have had a standard room immediately and moved the next day). Design of the rooms nice and modern, the suite actually looks like it was designed to be a suite and not just two rooms knocked together.

Although overall I would still rate the SGS above it at over BHT1000 a night cheaper it will be a tough choice in the future

Comment

• Funnily enough I also stayed there a few weeks ago, having decided I fancied a change from the usual haunts and seeing if I could get past the strong dislike of the location. I am afraid while the hotel reminded me it is indeed a nice property, and they do look after Plats well, I cannot get myself to like the location. Quite the opposite in fact, it really does spoil the hotel and will keep if off my list. The did also complete muck up my transport back to BKK as well, which didn't help

I can quite understand why the location works for you office wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          ...overall I would still rate the SGS above it...
          HUGE AL

Comment

• For the Hyatt fans amongst us just thought I would update my recent stays at the GH in Bangkok as it is undergoing a refurb. I have now had two stays in a refurbed room, including one last week followed by an 'old' one which provides a good opportunity to compare. I have to say I like the refurbed rooms, even though I didn't mind the current ones they probably could do with a refresh and it looks pretty good. They have added a larger work desk and put a bench along the wall to sit on. Some on TOF have said this is a bit of a tight squeeze and I have to say having had a few times to try it they have a point, it is a bit tight. The rest of the room and bathroom have been refreshed and looks very nice.

The lounge is still great and they look after regulars very well here. Nover better illustrated than when I rolled up at the lounge to check in last week. They were busy at the desk and told me to take a seat in the lounge and have a drink, as it was evening drinks time. A few minutes later they came in to say they couldn't find my reservation but after some digging they discovered it was for the night before. Not only that, but they were full, something I quickly confirmed by checking in the lounge. Fortunately they found me a room, a refurbed one that hadn't been used since it had been done, and all ended well.

Comment

• Not sure if it has been mentioned previously - I'm rather lazy to perform a search for the topic...

However for the Hyatt & Hilton fans, BKK will soon see a Park Hyatt landing along with a Waldorf Astoria in the Chit Lom area...

Central Embassy will incorporate a 200+ room hotel managed by Park Hyatt... It's adjacent to the UK Embassy...

Not too sure where the Waldorf Astoria will be located, but it was on the same "banner" as the Central Embassy project...

To be fair, I wasn't really paying 100% attention to the banners as I was on the way home after a solid stint at Aqua at the Four Seasons...

And no, there weren't any secret meetings held with the PM during my visit to the Four Seasons, she was too busy shopping at Harrods before visiting the Queen

Comment

• I know about the PH, didn't know about the Waldorf. There is also a new Hilton on Sukhumvit up near Phrom Phong BTS supposed to be opening next year as well as a Holiday Inn.

And of course we have the W opening next month. I look forward to people going out of their way to be their on opening day then listing everything that doesn't work properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  For the Hyatt fans amongst us just thought I would update my recent stays at the GH in Bangkok as it is undergoing a refurb. I have now had two stays in a refurbed room, including one last week followed by an 'old' one which provides a good opportunity to compare. I have to say I like the refurbed rooms, even though I didn't mind the current ones they probably could do with a refresh and it looks pretty good. They have added a larger work desk and put a bench along the wall to sit on. Some on TOF have said this is a bit of a tight squeeze and I have to say having had a few times to try it they have a point, it is a bit tight. The rest of the room and bathroom have been refreshed and looks very nice.
                  So with the refurb, is this now your "go to" hotel in BKK? Where does the SGS come out ahead? How is the bar at the GH? Do they NOT upgrade Diamonds to suites there?

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                  ...BKK will soon...
                  It is improper grammar to use "BKK" and "soon" in the same sentence.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    It is improper grammar to use "BKK" and "soon" in the same sentence.
                    Haha indeed, I should have qualified "soon" a bit better

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      So with the refurb, is this now your "go to" hotel in BKK? Where does the SGS come out ahead? How is the bar at the GH? Do they NOT upgrade Diamonds to suites there?
                      Not my "go to" hotel, but I do stay there pretty regularly and will do so again before the end of the month. SGS is still number one by some distance, the treatment I get there is quite simply unmatched. Never been given a Suite at GH as Diamond, only when using an upgrade cert. Bar is 'fun', as they have one rather similar to the one in Singapore. For Brixx, read Spasso....

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up MAN Flyer, I'm attending a wedding at the GH next Saturday and I've never set foot (nor had the inclination to) step foot in the GH...

Comment

• The GH is a lovely property, expecially around the lobby area.

Comment

• The W opens on Friday and as I am in town Saturday I don't know whether to stay there so I can post about it and complain about what stuff doesn't work......

Comment

The W opens on Friday and as I am in town Saturday I don't know whether to stay there so I can post about it and complain about what stuff doesn't work......
                              Was trying to book this property from 25-30 Dec as that week is the only time off I have, was hoping to make the most of a last minute deal at the 5200THB rate but unfortunately the property is sold out on my dates. Would've made for an extremely affordable trip combined with TG's $470 airfares.
                              Last edited by viraj735; 5 December 2012, 08:42 AM.
                              The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

The W opens on Friday and as I am in town Saturday I don't know whether to stay there so I can post about it and complain about what stuff doesn't work......
                                Oh, please do, the tirade that will surely follow can only be too funny for words

Can't be there this weekend as I have to MC a wedding, missing BKK already...

Comment

Working...
                                X