Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer trip 2

SQ238 MEL-SIN, 6th FEB 2007
    Seat - 36C (but moved to a randomly empty row)
    Aircraft - 773
    ETD - 1100

This flight had extremely low loads. It was low season for travels out of Australia. Might be also because there was an accident which caused a huge traffic jam on Tulla freeway and many people had not planned for a delay. Thankfully my taxi driver knew of an alternative route to the airport. Rocked up to the emptiest check in counter for an SQ flight I've ever encountered. I was seated in an emergency exit row seat but had the opportunity to move to an empty row once onboard. I swear the LSS was more excited than I was in securing said empty row, "Sir there are 2 empty rows at the back for you to choose from. But quick quick quick!" ROFL. I was also allowed to hold on to my original seat at row 36 for quick disembarkation.

Some changes I noted on SQ Y since my last experience in Sept 2006:
    - Replacement of stylised 'E' logo on Economy Class plastic ware with SQ's corporate motif
    - Stylised 'E' replaced by plain 'Economy Class' font on menu cards
    - SQ check in no longer at the eastern end of MEL T2 (that corner is now dominated by QF! :o), but in rows 49-51 (somewhere in the middle of the terminal, opposite JQ' International's check in desks)
    - Merged Raffles Class tag with orange *A priority baggage tag - this has been happening for a while I believe

Watched Marie Antoinette on the IFE - very interesting to observe the fashion and protocols of the French court. But otherwise it was a surprisingly pointless movie.

It was yet another comfy and high quality MEL-SIN run in Economy class. Would be interested to see how Jetstar Star Class matches up in the Australia-Asia runs later in the year.

Menu for this flight:

Lunch

APPETISER
    Ham with creamy potato salad

MAIN COURSES
    Pan roasted chicken with onion jam and natural jus, spinach puree and roasted potato

or

Thai style fish souffle served with selected vegetables and steamed rice

CHEESE
    Cheese and crackers

DESSERT
    Ice cream

FROM THE BAKERY
    Roll and butter

HOT BEVERAGES
    Coffee - Tea

Refreshment

LIGHT BITES
    Chicken and leek pie

or

Quiche Lorraine
    Eggs with bacon and onions baked in pastry shell

DESSERT
    Snack bar

HOT BEVERAGES
    Coffee - Tea

Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 March 2007, 11:04 PM. Reason: More thoughts; expression
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Le Meridien Singapore (Orchard Rd)

Stayed here for a night. I know this hotel is a hit or miss in terms of reviews but I've never had a problem. In fact, as a lowly SPG Gold, I was upgraded to the next category of rooms this time, an Executive Room. It basically has a large-ish sitting area with a sofa and coffee table. Also received a welcome letter and chocolates from management. Had a nice chat with the receptionist who recognised me from my last stay.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 March 2007, 09:36 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Trans Star SIN-KUL

My first time doing this journey by coach. Wheee...
      Was quite fun actually. There was an air-conditioned lounge with free coffee to wait in prior to boarding. Had a comfy seat with AVOD. Lunch was also provided. We were served by a steward onboard.

But it got tiring as it was quite a long bus ride. I think I'm sticking to air travel in future.

The journey commenced at Trans Star's office at the Golden Mile complex in SIN and we were deposited at the Puduraya bus terminus in KUL, a short taxi ride to the Sheraton Imperial.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 March 2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Sheraton Imperial, Kuala Lumpur

This is one of those 'Luxury Collection' Sheratons - meaning its decor is somewhat museum-like and dowdy. Always avoided LC properties for this reason despite loving SPG in general. But nonetheless this property is much cheaper than the Westin and has a nicer location than the Le Meridien. Check in and check out were both pretty slow, even when the SPG desk was manned during check in. Was told there was not enough staff to attend to the SPG desk, which brings into question its existence in the first place other than to placate the hotel's obligations to SPG.

Service was so-so and has gone downhill since my last stay with them. Turn down service was pretty wayward - but the mint chocolates provided were delicious.

Location-wise, the hotel is a pretty far walk from the Bukit Bintang shopping strip (only 3 monorail stops though) but is just next to the Asian Heritage row with awesome restaurants and nightclubs.

Almost nil recognition of SPG Gold (had to bargain with them over late check out) other than being allegedly placed on the SPG floor. I say allegedly because there wasn't even the ubitquitous 'SPG' plague to ameroliate a dubious recognition of status. And despite being a non-smoking floor, whiffs of smoke were detected. There was a fruit platter on the first night and a box of chocolates though, but no welcome letter that actually means something unlike other SPG properties.

For MYR300 per night (less than AUD150), this hotel represents pretty decent value. But if I get a good rate at the much more contemporary-looking and upscale-feeling Westin, that's where I'm checking in for future stays. Once upon a time I'd stay at the SI without question despite its tacky decor due to its excellent service providing an edge - but am afraid that's now gone.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 March 2007, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Those Transtar buses look extremely comfortable. How much did they cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
            Those Transtar buses look extremely comfortable. How much did they cost?
            About SGD55 one way, IIRC.

Comment

Nice one. The feeling's always great when you're flying SQ and the loads are light.

Comment

SQ113 KUL-SIN, 10th FEB 2007
                Seat - 12A
                Aircraft - 772
                ETD - 1700

After a wonderful time in KUL, aided by the fun-filled company of SQflyerGirl (SQTalk) and Attan and family (Malaysianwings), it was off to BKK!

Decided to upgrade myself to F as the fare diff to Y was less than AUD80, and I get thrice more miles on Miles and More (1500 vs 500 - minimum miles rule kicks in as this sector is only 143 miles in distance).

I was flying KUL-SIN-BKK that day, with the SIN-BKK sector on LX but on a separate ticket. The SQ check in agent had no clue what LX was or even if she was allowed to tag my bags all the way as she thought that LX's an LCC. ROFL. When I finally (after 15 mins of her trying to frantically call her supervisor and suffering a mild panic attack) convinced her that it's actually a full service carrier that's also one of SQ's Star Alliance partners, she could no longer be bothered and tagged my bags all the way to BKK anyway.

Holding an SQ F BP at KUL grants me access to the SKL KUL, which is not even accessible to *G traveling Y (they'd have to use the TG lounge). But IME the TG lounge is the better lounge as it has hot food. Both lounges are markedly inferior to MH's flagship KUL Golden Lounge of course.

I headed to the TG lounge for my lunch, and went to the SKL a bit after that to wait for the Golden Goose pull in. Can't remember the flight rego now but I remember SQflyerGirl telling me that it's the same plane that operated as Party Flight for the SQ gathering in DPS 2006.

As many have warned, flying F on KUL-SIN was an underwhelming experience. It wasn't a real F experience per se other than the red BP, F luggage tag, F pillows, seat coverings and crockery. The seat was basically a regional Raffles class seat; and neither was there champagne. Pre-departure drinks were either OJ or water. I had to gobble down the refreshment offering that was served during the extremely short time for service. I guess if the price difference to Y remains as it is, AUD80 for an extra 1000 miles is quite decent value. The crew did an amazing job to serve everyone in such a short amount of time, and the IFS even had time to mingle with pax. Oh and there was free Ferragamo Incanto Pour Homme in the toilet which I took advantage of rather liberally.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 March 2007, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the Sheraton Imperial, KeithMEL. It's off my list now.

By the way, I'm just wrapping up a stay at the W Union Square. I can see why you liked it. It's my favorite of the NYC W's by far.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    Thanks for the heads up on the Sheraton Imperial, KeithMEL. It's off my list now.

By the way, I'm just wrapping up a stay at the W Union Square. I can see why you liked it. It's my favorite of the NYC W's by far.
                    A lot of people still like the SI though - indicating that it could just be me.

Ooh you're in NYC - so lucky!
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 March 2007, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Prefer the W TS.... but then, I'm a midtown girl...

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Prefer the W TS.... but then, I'm a midtown girl...
                        You're too hip to be midtown, my dear.

Comment

You're too hip to be midtown, my dear.
                          Oooh! where then?

Comment

Oooh! where then?
                            The Village.
                            Or SoHo.

Comment

Oooh! where then?
                              Below 14th Street on the East side, below 23rd on the West. Oh, and triple digits if on a numbered street.

Comment

Working...
                              X