SQFG's prop plane ride - PKG-SZB on J8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQFG's prop plane ride - PKG-SZB on J8

Not going to put too many words - my "propeller" fetish is well known on this board - so this morning I thought I'd ride Berjaya Air back fron Pangkor. Word of warning - PICS are of very poor quality - thanks to Unca Nokia. Still, hope you can at least make things out instead of blobs

J8 287
    PKG-SZB
    Sched: 1140-1220
    Actual: 1130-1200

Check In area: Did not see any priority signs for First or Business Class Pax. Thankfully, load was only 7 of 48 today

"Lounge" area. Not sure what the access policies are, somewhat similar in standard to LH's FCT in FRA. IIRC - my memory is vague.

A view of the tarmac. I was told that my flight would depart just as a few 744's from LAX/LHR/SFO/JFK/MEL/SYD/NRT/HKG would arrive. Immigration could have been somewhat taxed I think. Luckily we got out before they arrived. I hope this picture conveys just how truly busy this airport is. I thought I was in LHR staring at the tarmac!

My ride:
    JOKES ASIDE: A Dehavilland Dash-7(give or take 1). A very very cute plane. I'm on 2 golden goose 777's tomorrow, and somehow, the prospect did not seem as appealing as my Dash-7 ride. IMHO - there is a lot of charm and romance in travelling by air like this.

Seat pitch:
    JOKES ASIDE:It's better on a Berjaya Air Dash-7 than an Air Asia 737/A320.

All in all - service was efficient - I got a bottle of water, which you don't get on AK. The crew just seemed so down to earth - truly, i cannot complain. Best of all, we arrived early too!
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 14 April 2007, 03:21 PM.

Oooh, I like how you were able to re-live the the romance of air travel ... but I betcha the absence of BAA goons contributed a lot to the experience.

Very evocative trip report! Thanks for sharing.

The next question: SQT Berjaya Air Do?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

A most interesting trip report, SQFlyerGirl!
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Already suggested but no takers so far.

Great report, SQfg! PKG certainly seems to be a very airy and spacious airport - sort of what you would expect to find on a tropical island in the sun like Pangkor!

Comment

Good to see that you enjoyed your dear propeller flight, SQFG.

Comment

oh gosh... I'm beginning to appear like a closet berjaya fan............

Comment

I am in for that and suggested one too.

I like the pics of the plane. Very nice turbo prop.
              Not too chuffed about the interior though.

Comment

*raises hand*
                Am in KUL a few times this year.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Already suggested but no takers so far.
                  Which was why the question bore repeating, especially now that a greater number of charming pictures have surfaced, no?

Comment

Excellent stuff. I also love flying around at low altitude on a prop, especially over the jungle.

The airport reminds me of our trip to Mulu from Kota Kinabalu on an MH F50 a couple of years ago. I'll have to see if I can find the pics...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      Excellent stuff. I also love flying around at low altitude on a prop, especially over the jungle.

The airport reminds me of our trip to Mulu from Kota Kinabalu on an MH F50 a couple of years ago. I'll have to see if I can find the pics...
                      I'm a fan of that too. Which is why i asked the question in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

One thing that did strike me - WHERE you did puddle jumping had a bearing on whether you were a fan or not.

My prop/light-ish aircraft experience is admittedly 100% resort island/vacation spot, that sort of thing, where it takes two minutes from check-in to airside, and you do it in flipflops, shades and some slinky swimwear.

On the other hand, another unnamed SQTalker mentioned to me that he'd had more than his share of CN235's in Indonesia, (I don't know which airlines these were, but IMHO - don't particularly think any of them are "stellar" safety wise) - and was strictly a Luxe Liner guy now. And I can understand that opinion.

Just a thought.....

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        ...where it takes two minutes from check-in to airside, and you do it in flipflops, shades and some slinky swimwear.
                        That rules me out of an SQT Berjaya Air Do.
                        On the other hand, another unnamed SQTalker mentioned to me that he'd had more than his share of CN235's in Indonesia, (I don't know which airlines these were, but IMHO - don't particularly think any of them are "stellar" safety wise) - and was strictly a Luxe Liner guy now.
                        I can sympathize with that, along with hazarding a guess as to who that SQTalker could be.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Please post those pics. I've always loved turbo props.

....where it takes two minutes from check-in to airside, and you do it in flipflops, shades and some slinky swimwear...
                          Like jjpb3, my hair stood on its end... you in some slinky swimwear? Hey, don't scare the kids. Ha ha ha ha ha

Are we having a SQT Turbo Prop Do?
                          How about the period 6-15 July?
                          Last edited by SQFAN; 15 April 2007, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                            Like jjpb3, my hair stood on its end... you in some slinky swimwear? Hey, don't scare the kids. Ha ha ha ha ha
                            Ahem, I meant I couldn't get away with slinky swimwear.

Comment

Just what are you implying jjpb3?
                              Ha ha ha ha ...just jesting, my amigo.

Oops, I have to stop visualising this whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X