Looks like additional security could be on its way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like additional security could be on its way

After that loon who thankfully failed to blow up the DL flight from AMS-DTW yesterday all flights to and from US are now subject to additional security. They have also just announced on the news that all pax on flights to the US from the UK will only be allowed one piece of hand luggage.

I would imagine this may well also be introuduced elsewhere as well, which would be a real PITA.

In other European airports as well tighter security (incl. compulsory body search) introduced

Just while some liquid restrictions were about to be relaxed somewhere round the world.

More time to check-in (especially for the traveler that flies Y), more lost man-hours, more delays, more frustration for the crews as well, this thing never stops really... We keep paying for the lunacy of the very few who bring up internationally every now and then their political/religious protests in the most unorthodox and unpredictable way...

Comment

The problem as I see it is that new security measures react to old threats.

Are you likely to sit quietly in your seat while 4 PAXs crash the plane you are on into a building?

The new security measures will not make me safer

Bad guys are back at the drawing board looking for new ways to disrupt international air travel

Accept that sh*t like this happens occasionally

And continue our lives normally is the biggest finger you can give these b*stards ( maybe also less carry on luggage will help in the fight! )

From NYT today. "Despite billions spent on counterterrorism since 2001, something simpler averted disaster"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/us...nt&tntemail1=y
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 December 2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

If USA Homeland Security would have just put the guy on the No Fly List...

And then...today's incident...

Yesterday, LAX said they weren't asked to beef up security, but after today's retardation, I'm sure the lines will be super long.

NOTE: If going through the lines in SFO, avoid the big L3 body scanner. TSA there will still pat you down and go through all your items on person one by one as they, "...don't know if the machine actually works. Yes, we spent a ton on it, but we already ordered enough to handle the entire airport. We are now in the process of hiring more people to perform the pat downs."
        HUGE AL

Comment

So what are Homeland Security going to do when one of these people smuggles something on board in their body cavity?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            So what are Homeland Security going to do when one of these people smuggles something on board in their body cavity?
            This morning [December 27th] on ABC’s “This Week” with Jake Tapper, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano actually said that “everything went according to clockwork and everything worked.” in how passengers, crew, air industry, state and local enforcement and the government reacted to the attempted terror bombing of Flight 253.

I guess we all would hate to see if the system actually failed...
            Janet will probably stick her head up her ass and say the same thing.
            HUGE AL

Comment

I feel that if these people get on board it's game over.

It's up to the passengers & crew to foil any nasty surprises.

To mandate a directive that is ineffective ( so I'll do the "deed" 1.5 hours before landing )
              & un-enforcible ( Not allowed to queue for the toilets? You gonna ask people to pee on their seats? )
              reflects the quality of our team fighting this War on Terror.

Not to mention making air travel miserable for everyone ( an objective of the opposition I'm sure )

Comment

For all United States bound aircraft originating in a foreign country and including Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands:

- Passengers will not be able to leave their seat from approximately one (1) hour prior to landing. The cockpit will inform in-flight personnel when this should be enforced.
                - In-flight and cockpit personnel must refrain from making any PA announcements regarding the position of the aircraft or landing announcements. Cockpit personnel will use the IF alarm system to warn in-flight personnel to take their seats prior to landing.
                - Passengers will be allowed one carry-on item or one personal item and will not be able to access this item during the one (1) hour period prior to landing.
                - No items can be used/held/accessed/accessible by any passenger, including personal electronic devices, magazines, newspapers, books, etc. during the one (1) hour pre-landing period.
                - In-flight personnel must collect First / Business Class PED one (1) hour and thirty (30) minutes prior to landing.
                - In-flight personnel must collect all pillows and blankets one (1) hour prior to landing. Pillows and blankets must be stored in the galley and not in overhead bins.
                - All on-board fixed IFE systems will be disabled and not available to our customers. Do not run or attempt to run any fixed IFE system.

Comment

We've just been reminded that we have to make our toilet stop before embarking. We're all being treated like children now, being told when we should go to the toilet! When the flight is less than 60 mins, we can't use the loo on the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    When the flight is less than 60 mins, we can't use the loo on the plane.
                    You were right, I just read somewhere stating that Virgin America started to implemented no IFE + putting a sticker to seal all the toilet doors for flights in between LAX <=> SFO...!

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalker View Post
                      For all United States bound aircraft originating in a foreign country and including Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands:

- Passengers will be allowed one carry-on item or one personal item and will not be able to access this item during the one (1) hour period prior to landing.
                      - No items can be used/held/accessed/accessible by any passenger, including personal electronic devices, magazines, newspapers, books, etc. during the one (1) hour pre-landing period.
                      For point 1, is the one carry on item restricted to things like eg. a small backpack with your personal stuff in it or just only an empty backpack

For point 2, god damn and thank you very much Mr Nigerian guy who tried to blow up the delta plane.....We will all be seated staring into space during that 1hour period. Who knows we might even be suspects if we peek out of the window due to sheer boredom... Not to mention the restriction of reading materials....C'mon man...its just too damn ridiculous..

Already kinda dreading my End-Jan SFO flight...

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        NOTE: If going through the lines in SFO, avoid the big L3 body scanner. TSA there will still pat you down and go through all your items on person one by one as they, "...don't know if the machine actually works. Yes, we spent a ton on it, but we already ordered enough to handle the entire airport. We are now in the process of hiring more people to perform the pat downs."
                        Unbelievable...

Comment

So how many people are going to continue with their travel plans and how many will abort?

I think if you gotta go then you gotta go, but right now, if it's optional (for me personally, it is as I've got nothing planned to the US), am not quite in a rush to go buy a ticket to head out there. Too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            If USA Homeland Security would have just put the guy on the No Fly List...
                            It seems that the guy was a watch list of people who might have links to terrorist groups. But was not on the no fly list.

Comment

You were right, I just read somewhere stating that Virgin America started to implemented no IFE + putting a sticker to seal all the toilet doors for flights in between LAX <=> SFO...!
                              Are you saying that these silly rules apply to domestic flights too?! One carry-on? No toilet visit in the last hour? Nothing on your lap etc?

Just got off a US bound flight - we were told either to wear our coats or put them in the overhead compartment. Most people chose to leave their coats and hats on for the duration of the flight. Reading material on our laps was fortunately allowed. I could still access my barang barang for the 33 mins flight since the bag was just at my feet. I wasn't sure about electronic equipment. I had my little Ixus in my hand and took some pics. It seems all right, since the FA saw what I was doing and didn't tell me off.
                              Last edited by phaleesy; 29 December 2009, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X