Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to travel with cheese?

Hi,

First of all, I know that I am allowed to travel with cheese (It is legal).
    I have posted a similar post before about traveling with cheese about a year ago. I had contacted the airlines on whether they would allow me refrigerate cheese in their fridge? A few weeks prior to my departure. They had said that it depends on the space in the fridge and I would have to ask check in staff. However, My mother has convinced me that I would be able to find cheese at my destination so I didn’t take any. Once, I got there I discovered that the cheese was ridiculously expensive so this time I am taking some. But, I never thought about this before since I didn’t have a long transit last time but I have a 14 hour transit this time (staying at the airport) which makes overall travel time 28 hours and 35 minutes. I have again contacted the airlines and had asked where the cheese will be kept and they had said that they are unable to refrigerate the cheese which seems a bit vague because I’m not sure whether it’s the flight or the transit.
    Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can frozen cheese (please note that I don’t have dry ice available) with me during my travels so it won’t perish? I wanted to carry on and ask an airport shop if they can refrigerate for me but my sisters like they will probably say no.

Does anyone know what the temperature of the baggage hold is during transits?

Does anyone know any supermarkets (I hear that carefour is shut down) nearby the airport where I can buy a 1kg block of vegetarian cheese? (if so do they have an online website?) I’ve seen an online website but they only sell about a 100g of parmesean but I’m looking for a 1kg block of either cheddar, mild, tasty, edam or Colby cheese as long its vegetarian.

Or are there any convenience stores within the airport where I will be able to find a 1kg block of cheese?

Thanks in advance

What country are you traveling to. Some wont let you bring it in, Australia is an example.

You could stick it in your hold luggage. It gets really cold in there anyway.

Comment

i'm interested where the above person is travelling to. Cheese isn't too expensive in most developed countries and actually cheaper than SIN sometimes. Not the extravagant ones of course.

Ever tried haloumi?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        What country are you traveling to. Some wont let you bring it in, Australia is an example.

You could stick it in your hold luggage. It gets really cold in there anyway.
        I'm traveling to Dhaka, Bangladesh, and yes it is allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
          i'm interested where the above person is travelling to. Cheese isn't too expensive in most developed countries and actually cheaper than SIN sometimes. Not the extravagant ones of course.

Ever tried haloumi?
          I'm going to Bangladesh. Cheese is really expensive there like a 250g block of cheese will cost about 10 nzd however, here I can buy a 1kg block of cheese for 10nzd.

No, I haven't tried haloumi. Why do you ask? Because I want cheese to make pasta or put on tacos.

Comment

If you find cheese in those quantities in Singapore let me know.

Are you moving to Bangalore permanently? 1kg is a lot of cheese for pasta and tacos if you're going for a holiday!

Comment

Well done on selecting an unusual topic to post, certainly deviates from the usual chat about gate lounges and FF programs!

If it weren't such a long transit time, putting it in hold luggage wrapped between some freezer packs would probably be fine, but you don't know where it will sit in the hours that it waits at SIN, and I still to this day don't know how Singaporeans cope with that heat!

You can buy cheese (certainly in Australian supermarkets) which is sold at room temperature in a cardboard pack and inside it is in the shape of wedges wrapped in foil. Might not be ideal, but it could be an option.

I'm no cheese expert, but would those large cheeses covered in a thick wax rind be suitable, provided you can take a whole one?

I wouldn't rely on anybody providing fridge space - too many food safety laws and they have nothing to gain from assisting with keeping unknown cheese cold for an unknown traveller, yet they have much to lose if anything did go wrong.

Comment

Frozen cheese wrapped with newspaper in a chilly/cooler bag and freezer packs (should find them in Briscoes) and hand carry them?

Comment

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
                  If you find cheese in those quantities in Singapore let me know.

Are you moving to Bangalore permanently? 1kg is a lot of cheese for pasta and tacos if you're going for a holiday!
                  No I'm not lol
                  It's just that I have a big extended family, about 50 mouths to feed And it's Bangladesh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Well done on selecting an unusual topic to post, certainly deviates from the usual chat about gate lounges and FF programs!

If it weren't such a long transit time, putting it in hold luggage wrapped between some freezer packs would probably be fine, but you don't know where it will sit in the hours that it waits at SIN, and I still to this day don't know how Singaporeans cope with that heat!

You can buy cheese (certainly in Australian supermarkets) which is sold at room temperature in a cardboard pack and inside it is in the shape of wedges wrapped in foil. Might not be ideal, but it could be an option.

I'm no cheese expert, but would those large cheeses covered in a thick wax rind be suitable, provided you can take a whole one?

I wouldn't rely on anybody providing fridge space - too many food safety laws and they have nothing to gain from assisting with keeping unknown cheese cold for an unknown traveller, yet they have much to lose if anything did go wrong.
                    Yeah, those ones at room temperature is like processed cheese and not suitable for pasta or tacos.

I'm not sure where I can find those large cheeses covered in thick wax rind.

Haha should of thought of that. Thanks for the advice anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Sqakl View Post
                      Frozen cheese wrapped with newspaper in a chilly/cooler bag and freezer packs (should find them in Briscoes) and hand carry them?
                      Yep, I might try that but still conflicted whether I should carry on or check in. If I do carry on does anyone know if they'll allow me to keep it in the plane fridge? Because I might bug my dad to check into a hotel during the 14 hour transit.

Comment

Alternatively you can buy the cheese in Singapore during your transit. Not as cheap as NZ but the selection is good. There are supermarkets in the basements of all three terminals. The Cold Storage chain usually has better selection than thr NTUC Fairprice chain. If you have 14 hours though you should go downtown. The large supermarkets in the Orchard Road area include the Marketplace in Paragon and Cold Storages in Takashimaya and Centrepoint. Or you can try Jason's in Tanglin Mall. Supermarkets are usually open 9am-10pm but hours do vary. There is a 24 hour Jason's in Orchard Towers but that building has a more notorious reputation for being full of girlie bars. But like everywhere else in Singapore, completely safe.

I've had no problems taking cheddar/Edam in carry on on short (~7 hours door to door) journies. You may want to bring a small cooler box if necessary. Wrapping the cheese in a heavy towel or sweater may help too. Don't count on the plane on having sufficient space to store your cheeses. Crew can be stretched on busy flights too.

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                          I've had no problems taking cheddar/Edam in carry on on short (~7 hours door to door) journies.
                          I honestly didn't realise there were many people flying with cheese in tow. I've flown some very nice cheese from Australia back to SIN on the account it was really good stuff, but get a cooler bag from Haagen Dazs if the OP is so worried. I wouldn't bother going to the trouble for plain old Kraft/Coon/insert-generic-brand here.

Plenty of supermarkets with cheap-expensive cheese in Singapore, no worries...

Comment

I had received a reply a few days ago from SA stating that they can't refrigerate the cheese so I should make an alternate arrangement or request the cabin crew on board.

I had then asked if they can give me an indication on how the cabin crew can assist me and whether I would be allowed to take ice on and off board the aircraft.

They have replied but not technically answered my questions but, this is what concerns me: "Please also note that you will need to note that if the cheese has any form
                            of liquids then you will need to check on the airport immigration
                            restrictions that will fall under the term of LAGS. If your cheese is a
                            hard cheese then no restrictions will be in place."

Does that mean that I can or can't take cheese like the one shown in the link? http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Pro...se-block-tasty and in frozen form? because once it melts it there will be liquid?

Can ice be taken on and off board?

Or should I email customs?

Comment

Saraleena, if you really want to go thru the hassle, I suggest you get a cooler bag like this one. Freeze your cheese, include some frozen gel bags. If security have issues with the gel, then discard it at the security line. With luck they may not have issues. When you get on the plane, ask very nicely if the FAs have some space in the fridge to put your cheese. You may have to wait until after they serve the meal so that they have space for the cheese. It's the only advice I can give you.

Customs are not the people who are in charge of airport security.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X