No announcement yet.

A345 (EWR) or A380 (JFK) to NYC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a very good question concept|infinit, it would certainly solve a lot of logistical problems for SQ.

I can only assume that 1) EWR can't currently handle 380s and/or 2) JFK doesn't have sufficient slots.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Queen View Post
      Thanks for the BTC pointer - I will definitely look into it for variety sake!
      Pleasure! Actually realize lamb shank may not be on the EWR station BTC menu, but you get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
        Noob question. Why doesn't SQ just operate solely out of EWR, moving their JFK service there?

Won't that save on the staff/operating costs? Maybe the passenger volume would justify a dedicated Silverkris lounge too?
        Great question.

However, just don't assume a dedicated SKL lounge would necessarily be an improvement. Take SFO, for isntance. I'd say an underwhelming SKL. I think The EWR SAS lounge is better, with the exception of the fact that SFO SKL has showers.

As a sidebar, although they have showers at SFO, they don't stock toothbrushes. According to their staff, they used to, but not anymore. That seems like a ridiculous cost cutting measure, esp given that it is part of the basic offering at the SKL in Singapore.

Comment

LKY prefers A345

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
            Noob question. Why doesn't SQ just operate solely out of EWR, moving their JFK service there?

Won't that save on the staff/operating costs? Maybe the passenger volume would justify a dedicated Silverkris lounge too?
            My assumption is:

a) JFK = connections to other parts of US

b) EWR = nearer to Manhattan, more suited to business travellers.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
              My assumption is:

Not sure there is much difference in distance, at least it takes me about the same time to both airports from Midtown. There are also a ton of domestic connection from EWR, being a CO (UA) hub.

I do think it´s more difficult to get good slots at JFK as capacity is scarcer than EWR, so I think SQ would have run the A345 service to JFK is they could have the slots needed.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                My assumption is:

What connections are there on SQ partners from JFK ?. Compare that to the *A connections on CO/UA from their hub at EWR.

You'd also better tell BA/AA who have thirteen widebodies a day from LHR to JFK and all the other European (and global) airlines that deliver business travellers into JFK in their thousands that EWR is more suited to business travellers.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  What connections are there on SQ partners from JFK ?. Compare that to the *A connections on CO/UA from their hub at EWR.

You'd also better tell BA/AA who have thirteen widebodies a day from LHR to JFK and all the other European (and global) airlines that deliver business travellers into JFK in their thousands that EWR is more suited to business travellers.
                  not to mention the dedicated AA and UA business product on LAX/SFO - JFK which is different to the normal domestic product... very much business focused
                  My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    not to mention the dedicated AA and UA business product on LAX/SFO - JFK which is different to the normal domestic product... very much business focused
                    But still pretty much blows.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Not sure why flying.monkeyz deserves a snide reply from you. Basically it is a correct statement that EWR is closer to Manhattan. If you are headed into Manhattan for business, you will get into the city faster or much faster, most of the time from EWR than JFK. By cab. Or if you hit the timing right, takes only about 20 min via Amtrak and your at Penn Station.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                        Not sure why flying.monkeyz deserves a snide reply from you.

There is nothing snide about it, it's a fact. Would you care to share the connections available to SQ pax from JFK, or explain why there are so many BA and other European airlines flying business travellers into JFK compared to EWR ?.

Comment

I'm choosing between the 2 on a trip that will arrive in NY on Nov 25, the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

As I'll be connecting to Boston, an earlier arrival will be better, so that's making me lean towards SQ26. The scheduled arrival is 1110. What's the earliest Jetblue connecting flight to BOS I should consider? There's one at 1259 and another at 1410.

If I do end up taking SQ22, arriving EWR at 1800, would it be ok to connect to a flight leaving 2040?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post

If I do end up taking SQ22, arriving EWR at 1800, would it be ok to connect to a flight leaving 2040?

Thanks.
                            Yes. I have friends that regularly connect around that time for ORD.

SQ22 tends to arrive ahead of schedule

Comment

The SIN-EWR route is the longest distance flight (approx 9000 nautical miles) routinely flown by any airline; SIN-LAX is shorter in distance but the flight takes longer because of trade winds.

both SIN-EWR and SIN-LAX are about to be cancelled; the A345 equipment will be sold back to Airbus and replaced with existing A380 routes through FRA or NRT

you would be flying a part of history if you choose the A345 route; go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                                I'm choosing between the 2 on a trip that will arrive in NY on Nov 25, the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

As I'll be connecting to Boston, an earlier arrival will be better, so that's making me lean towards SQ26. The scheduled arrival is 1110. What's the earliest Jetblue connecting flight to BOS I should consider? There's one at 1259 and another at 1410.

Thanks.
                                Hey, I will be on the SIN-EWR flight on Nov 25! If you are on that flight too, let me know.

Regarding traffic to Manhattan, I have never liked the tunnels that connect NJ to NYC and you can be stuck for a long time any evening (and especially Fridays and Saturdays). The FRA flight's late-morning arrival at JFK usually means less traffic because it is not peak traffic hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X