65 minutes to connect at SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I have taken a look at the stats at flightaware.com and the 2nd flight in my journey, SQ318 appears to have a recent history of departing 15 mins (sometimes way more than that) behind schedule though I won't count on it being that way everytime. Does the departure times here refer to when the aircraft leaves the gate or the moment it takes-off? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA318

The changi airport website though doesn't report it as delayed and still says 12.45.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into the accuracy of flightaware data. However, I think you'll be fine. When you are on your first flight of the trip, you may want to mention the potentially tight connection to the flight attendants. They can get info on your connection, keep you posted on any potential issues and possibly send a telex/message ahead to ground staff for help if a situation does materialize.

Comment

65 minutes isn't tight at Changi.... it's 20 minutes over MCT!
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
        i once arrived at SFO from LAS on UA with about 20 minutes left to connect to NRT due to weather delays. There was a staff member waiting at the gate with my name on a sheet and the connecting gate number and told me to hurry. i rushed to the next gate only to find the Boeing 747 was being pushed back without me on board. United basically didn't give a stuff, no rebooking or anything, i had to go to the red carpet club and they told me i was stuck. They said the other flight to NRT departing 2 hours later was oversold and I had no hope. I ended up going to the next flights departure gate and begging to be put on standby, which they did, and I did get a seat in the end. But I was basically left to do it all myself....

So, SQ is light years ahead in this regard... when compared to UA anyway
        That staff's only job was to wait for you to remind you to hurry and not help you go through the crowds more easily? He could have done other things if that was his only task. What if you did not identify yourself to him? :|

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
          That staff's only job was to wait for you to remind you to hurry and not help you go through the crowds more easily? He could have done other things if that was his only task. What if you did not identify yourself to him? :|
          I have no idea but he had a list of connections but it was pointless despite them knowing I was on the way the flight simply left
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

On a slightly different note, in case our first flight is right on time, what are the "doable" activities for a 65-min layover awaiting an SQ flight at a different terminal besides stopping for a cigarette (well I don't smoke anyway)?

Comment

I wonder sometimes if the captain has the discretion not to wait because of queuing issues, flight time limits, etc? I guess sometimes it is a balance between commercial needs and technical ones.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                I wonder sometimes if the captain has the discretion not to wait because of queuing issues, flight time limits, etc?
                It's not the captain's call. The decision lies with Station Managers.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                  It's not the captain's call. The decision lies with Station Managers.
                  Power! Need to treat them with some respect. Does this apply to all airlines?

Comment

My latest exp with SQ( last month ) .. flight delayed from CGK 1 hour .. connecting to Melb still have 60 mins. arrived Sin , meet our hottest celebrity at SqTalk , and rush to gate. 3 Luggages with Priority Tag supposed to be doing job well with the connection.

Arriving melb , missing those 3 luggages, given a set of T shirt , toothpase etc aka StarAlliance standard safety KIT and AUD 150 as a sorry.

Sh*t do happen.

Comment

The trip was completed. It went without much problem. In fact the SIN-LHR flight was the one that got slightly delayed due to ATC clearance issues with India. Relatively uneventful and long flight otherwise.

Comment

To share a recent similar experience of mine @ Changi : inbound flight slightly delayed, connecting flight was in a different terminal, by the time I got off the plane it was about 30 mins to departure) they had staff waiting with the buggy to make sure people got to the departure gate on time.

I asked the driver surely using the Skytrain was faster? The answer was yes indeed, but this way its guaranteed delivery to the gate without you being distracted by toilet, coffee or shopping! Luggage made it in time as well.

Comment

Glad to hear the OP had a pleasant experience in relation to tight connections...

I've had my share of close shaves, most recently on my latest trip BNE-SIN-BKK...

Was staring down the barrell of a 50min connection (all things going smoothly) but a transfer between T3 (inbound) and T2 (outbound) was definitely going to cut it to the bone in terms of the 'gate closes 10 mins prior to boarding'

An early push back appeared promising but an equally long delay on the active runway dismantled the early push back time. Mother Nature also was also experiencing an upset stomach as she groaned and belched on approach into SIN.

At the time of decent, I thought I heard the FSS announce that we were arriving into T2 instead of the usual T3 and I was thinking, I've been dealt a poor hand here and I might as well fold and regroup for the next hand...

To my surprise (and relief) we landed and docked at T2 bay F something or other... with about 30mins to spare before my connection to BKK (coincidently my outbound aircraft was next door)..

I was still content on my baggage not following me to BKK given the time and previous experience...

I was however rather chuffed when up popped my bag in BKK in pole position... In and out of BKK during peak hour within 15mins of arrival sans fast track...

In SIN I was still able to make DFS and acquire appropriate oxygen sticks for the journey, I was however unable to indulge in said oxygen stick prior to outbound flight to BKK

Guess it adds a degree of excitement to the travel experience, BUT do not try it with a S/O who is not aviation friendly

Comment

My family will have a tight connecting flight (I believe around 45-50 mins - very close to the MCT). I was originally booked on the same flights, but I opted to take the inbound flight to SIN one day early due to my (on-and-off) physical condition. I plan to have overnight at Changi, and the next morning I will join the rest of my family for the connecting flight.

My question: if something happened to my family's inbound flight to SIN, will I be able to beg to the staff to wait for my family (this is high-season christmas holiday flight, so maybe getting on the next flight is not really a possibility - or the possibility is a lot smaller).

@Gunnar Smithsen: Interesting stories. I always keep my eyes on my arrival gate and the next flight of that aircraft. I once had a rather tight and weird connection too. The plane that took me from LHR to SIN was the one that also took me from SIN to CGK, with the same boarding gate. Such a rarity to get B747 on such route (I think it was sudden change of equipment).

Comment

Working...
                            X